Vaux

Its amazing, Newcastle used to be a working class area, amazing what you can do when all the money from the whole region is hoyed at it.

Bastards, f***ing grown at the cost of Sunderland and Gateshead, and anywhere else in the North East

FN
This arl ower.

I try to refrain from joining the slag the council brigade, but that building
is distinctly underwhelming.
Maybe it will sit better when others are built beside it, if that ever happens.

What more did it have going for it? And why is one city in a region favoured to the detriment to others in the majority of cases?

I'd imagine it's the same throughout the country....the likes of Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Glasgow etc will attract more of the high end shopping and eating establishments and it then feeds on itself to the detriment of the satellite towns surrounding them.

Government threw money at tax and benefit offices in Sunderland but then closed them down soon after and private money has had a go at bringing higher end establishments and apartment blocks here but without exception they've bombed...there's just no demand for any of it.

ffs man! If the council done nothing with the Vaux site they would get slated, now given they actually secured a huge investment contract and construction has been happening on the site they are getting slated too! can't win! :rolleyes:

@Boris Bear @Wilfy

Pity the Council and Siglion didn’t consider using firms on there doorstep to do the facade and glazing works rather than a company from the midlands, however it’s typical that they rather bring in companies from outside than support those creating jobs within.

I can't stand self indulgent architects at the best of times. They tend to be touchy individuals with terrier like attitude when criticised. They do however enjoy each other's company and never fail to see the 'hidden' inspiration in each other's work.
This individual seems to have been asleep throughout this process.
No doubt it will be hailed in Theodolite Weekly as 'Bloc Chique' at it's finest.

The town centre used to be superb on a night out.
Loads of different great routes and bars - Digbys , 5th Ave, Scott’s , Victoria’s , Fitzys to name a few.
Idols corner used to be rammed , the High Street West / Low Row route was rammed , a great night out.
Really sad how it is now , like a ghost town.

Do you think it's iconic in any way, shape or form?
Nah, but that's all marketing waffle anyway. Tbh it doesn't need to be for me. Just get white collar workers in to the the city centre spending money will do me. Better things will come in time, with more footfall and money in the city centre.

Obviously I don't want it to look shite, and I get that this is a huge opportunity, but I'm willing to wait until it's not a building site to judge it.

It is pretty grim looking, like an old school building or a scene from the opening credits of The Office.
You would have thought a bit of design may have gone into it if the aim is to attract more investment.
I did hear through fairly reliable sources that the council may move there.

My two pennorth worth.....first of all im just a taxi driver so its just a personal opinion....20-30 year ago some parts of sunderland were still poverty stricken and in very poor state of repair as were parts of the other cities mentioned in this thread...newcastle liverpool glasgow birmingham manchester etc....over this time the others mentioned have spent and improved their city centrrs and train stations immensely sunderland hasnt however the estates in sunderland have all been improved to an extent where in sunderland we dont hsve any ghettos or people living in squalor or poverty as such..take newcastleas the example...when i drop customers off in the city centre i notice how much better it is than ours...however when i drop customers outside ie west road area or benwell etc..i see mass deprivation poverty people living horrendously...the same in the other cities mentioned..we dont have that....we appear to have spent alot of our money improving the city as a whole where others have improved centres to the detriment of suburbs..

My two pennorth worth.....first of all im just a taxi driver so its just a personal opinion....20-30 year ago some parts of sunderland were still poverty stricken and in very poor state of repair as were parts of the other cities mentioned in this thread...newcastle liverpool glasgow birmingham manchester etc....over this time the others mentioned have spent and improved their city centrrs and train stations immensely sunderland hasnt however the estates in sunderland have all been improved to an extent where in sunderland we dont hsve any ghettos or people living in squalor or poverty as such..take newcastleas the example...when i drop customers off in the city centre i notice how much better it is than ours...however when i drop customers outside ie west road area or benwell etc..i see mass deprivation poverty people living horrendously...the same in the other cities mentioned..we dont have that....we appear to have spent alot of our money improving the city as a whole where others have improved centres to the detriment of suburbs..
A very good post mate. I agree entirely,

That's a new building? Looks like an office block from the 80's.
Looks like the shite they're building next to St. James's Park. Developers clearly not learning from past mistakes.

I walked past it the other day and couldn't believe how shite it looked, hopefully the finishing touches bring it to life a bit more, looks like a tribute to the high rise flats across the road at present
Will look alright once they get some of that flammable cladding on.

Back