Vaux

More people living and working in the city centre will be a good starting point. Student accommodation in an otherwise empty building is a positive thing. Lots of successful towns and cities across the uk, have large student populations, we need to do the same.
The alternative would be leaving it empty or demolishing it.

Now it an opportunity to boost the city centre economy from developers wanting to invest.......everyone's a winner

Let me guess...we need cranes?

Why don't you then?
Why don’t I what? Try to do something better myself? Because I already have a full time job in a completely different industry.

The people who are getting paid for this already are the ones who need to try harder, it’s simply not good enough at the moment. The siglion deal means we’re going to end up with low cost boxes in our prime location. Seaburn plans look worse than Vaux, more boxes and too many houses.

We could aim for something better than a box.

That fat budda looks like a shoebox, it’s horrific and uninspiring. I just got back from London today where loads of new buildings are ground breaking. We don’t even try.

And i thought the clown trying to make a comparison with manchester was bad. London ffs :rolleyes: dear lord, and we call the mags deluded.

Why don’t I what? Try to do something better myself? Because I already have a full time job in a completely different industry.

The people who are getting paid for this already are the ones who need to try harder, it’s simply not good enough at the moment. The siglion deal means we’re going to end up with low cost boxes in our prime location. Seaburn plans look worse than Vaux, more boxes and too many houses.
The Seaburn 'plan' is not at a detailed planning stage yet so you're talking utter nonsense.

And comparison with London is laughable

We're building from scratch, almost anything is better than an empty building.
Students seem to have no impact on other areas of the city where we have accommodation. Filling an empty building for part of the year might look good but I have doubts over the benefits it will bring

Students seem to have no impact on other areas of the city where we have accommodation. Filling an empty building for part of the year might look good but I have doubts over the benefits it will bring
It will free the glorious terraced houses up around roker and the back of the town hopefully.

That's because you're complaining about bridges and roundabouts marra. Doesn't make any sense at all

Homes, retail and leisure at Seaburn mate.

When I see fancy impressions from the council I’m often reminded of the ‘white elephants’ article in the echo a few years ago. Looking forward to seeing the more detailed proposals from the Council

It will free the glorious terraced houses up around roker and the back of the town hopefully.
If the accommodation is anything like the existing city centre based accommodation I can’t see that happening

When I see fancy impressions from the council I’m often reminded of the ‘white elephants’ article in the echo a few years ago. Looking forward to seeing the more detailed proposals from the Council

If the accommodation is anything like the existing city centre based accommodation I can’t see that happening

And that echo article (if its the one im thinking of) nearly all those failed projects were private sector. 2 or 3 of them were the footbal club iirc

And i thought the clown trying to make a comparison with manchester was bad. London ffs :rolleyes: dear lord, and we call the mags deluded.
I'm not asking for Canary Wharf, but buildings on a similar size plot as the fat budda are far superior in their design to our white box.

I get that the city as a whole can't compete but individual buildings of similar size can. The latest uninspiring box at Vaux is another example of how we accept mediocrity. Then we'll all be surprised when when it's not fully leased in a few years time.

The Seaburn 'plan' is not at a detailed planning stage yet so you're talking utter nonsense.

And comparison with London is laughable
The outline plan at Seaburn is just not good enough, far too much housing and little of anything to attract people to that area.

Comparison with London as a whole is laughable, but comparison of similar sized buildings in not.

The way Siglion explained this marra was that until they got the outline planning permission (which they got a couple of months back) they wouldn't even employ designers to work on the detailed design on the homes or firming up interest with potential commercial tenants. At least part of the design (internal fit out) will be to suit the commercial tenants. The outline plan details the quantum numbers for homes, retail, leisure and outside space.

They have now employed PAD designs (a Bristol based architect) as lead designers and Landscape Projects to design the open spaces. Lot's of info about the Seaburn development in this group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/334736946873670/

It's cheap I suppose, that's all that really matters to students. Dunn house at the weatsheaf is the ultimate box and it's full to the rafters (well concrete curling). But I get your point about artist impressions. Seen some toppers for the new bridge.

I'm not asking for Canary Wharf, but buildings on a similar size plot as the fat budda are far superior in their design to our white box.

I get that the city as a whole can't compete but individual buildings of similar size can. The latest uninspiring box at Vaux is another example of how we accept mediocrity. Then we'll all be surprised when when it's not fully leased in a few years time.

The outline plan at Seaburn is just not good enough, far too much housing and little of anything to attract people to that area.

Comparison with London as a whole is laughable, but comparison of similar sized buildings in not.

What do you mean 'little of anything to attract people'. They haven't decided what leisure and retail will be on the site...just the amount of space allocated to it. Also you're plain wrong about the number of homes....the independent RIBA support said that the outline proposal is good but recommended even more homes. Siglion are not increasing the homes to keep the NIMBYs happy.

This is exactly what I mean about people moaning for the sake of moaning. Uninformed mass moaning. Take an interest and ask to be involved if you truly care. Siglion will welcome it.

I was one of three locals who chose the artist to be lead artist for the site (Simon Watkinson is the artist).

What do you mean 'little of anything to attract people'. They haven't decided what leisure and retail will be on the site...just the amount of space allocated to it. Also you're plain wrong about the number of homes....the independent RIBA support said that the outline proposal is good but recommended even more homes. Siglion are not increasing the homes to keep the NIMBYs happy.

This is exactly what I mean about people moaning for the sake of moaning. Uninformed mass moaning. Take an interest and ask to be involved if you truly care. Siglion will welcome it.

I was one of three locals who chose the artist to be lead artist for the site (Simon Watkinson is the artist).
but the outline plans just show the seaburn centre and pullman lodge space being replaced by a lot of 3 story boxes. And why are their no detailed plans about what will go into those spaces? this has been going on for ages, do we have anybody interested in taking a lease inside yet? if so, who? if not why not?

but the outline plans just show the seaburn centre and pullman lodge space being replaced by a lot of 3 story boxes. And why are their no detailed plans about what will go into those spaces? this has been going on for ages, do we have anybody interested in taking a lease inside yet? if so, who? if not why not?
If the new buildings are speculative whether or not they are occupied is up to the private investors not the Council.

Proof on this thread that WDSC are slippery as a butcher's apron

When presented with a straightforward question it's always someone else's fault, be it Siglion, "the private sector" or rules that prevent architects 'designing' these lego houses until it's too late

The outline proposal and accompanying video of the proposed seaburn development is the antithesis of inspiring.

We need landmarks down there not houses or square boxes filled with more places that sell shite food.

Start with the roundabout opposite the Marriott. Commission a piece of art/statue/sculpture/Trevi fountains Mark 2 on it...i dunno, f***ing something that will actually signal intent.

Back