Vaux

But you didn't say that. I can't read your mind even if I wished to. So now that we have established that there are workmen inside, what is their connection with Sunderland Council which led you to say "WDSC" or was that rhetorical/sarcastic ?

Powers of deduction and a little sarcasm sprinkled on top

So there's no truth in it ?
The Sunderland Council bit? I presume they approved it but someone else is developing it. Lovely buildings them mind. Could possibly make the whole block into a hotel if someone was so minded

Which was applied for by ONE with matched funding from themselves. Sunderland CC wouldn't have received any backing from the RDC and any attempt to build the Sage in the city would never have got off the ground.
Northern Arts are completely Newcastle centric...the only bone they ever threw us was the glass centre and even that gets funding from the Uni

The Sunderland Council bit? I presume they approved it but someone else is developing it. Lovely buildings them mind. Could possibly make the whole block into a hotel if someone was so minded

Northern Arts are completely Newcastle centric...the only bone they ever threw us was the glass centre and even that gets funding from the Uni

I'll take that as a "No". Not that they "approved" it, which they'd have to do as part of a planning application, but that they were involved in any sense that entitled them to be told WDSC.

I'll take that as a "No". Not that they "approved" it, which they'd have to do as part of a planning application, but that they were involved in any sense that entitled them to be told WDSC.
Then why the fuck are you blaming them for Vaux when all they've done is approve a planning application?

Dance City, built in Newcastle. They weren't interested in doing owt in Sunderland (and it was a fuck on for Sunderland parents with teenage kids to get them to and from it). Then the MAC trust gets money for the Fire Station and they are like flies around shite.

Dance City, built in Newcastle. They weren't interested in doing owt in Sunderland (and it was a fuck on for Sunderland parents with teenage kids to get them to and from it). Then the MAC trust gets money for the Fire Station and they are like flies around shite.
They should have been told to fuck off. If there is anything that Mackem Mover vs Geordie Dancer taught us, it is that we have the sweeter moves

Because it appears from what I have read here that they are bankrolling or funding the site to the value of around £30 million. Is that wrong ?
Yes it is wrong.

My loose understanding is that about £20million of their 'investment' is in the transfer of land assets to Siglion (the partnership between the council, Carillion and Igloo)....another £10million comes in cash to finance the start of the Vaux build. Further financing will come from the sale of annuities to private investors but to encourage this investment the council have had to put their cock on the block to get things moving. Once Vaux is built, seaburn is built and chapelgarth is built the council should see a positive return on their investment in financial terms alone, not to mention that Sunderland should be better off for it.

Should the council have demanded that they give their own design input to Building 1 at Vaux or should they let the professionals (who have been doing this sort of thing for years) get on with it? It is a fine balance, but on balance I would say give it a chance. As the naysayers have been at pains to point out, we have world leading model makers in Sunderland but none of the models have come to fruition. Let them build it...they haven't done a bad job in Manchester or Birmingham

Yes it is wrong.

My loose understanding is that about £20million of their 'investment' is in the transfer of land assets to Siglion (the partnership between the council, Carillion and Igloo)....another £10million comes in cash to finance the start of the Vaux build. Further financing will come from the sale of annuities to private investors but to encourage this investment the council have had to put their cock on the block to get things moving. Once Vaux is built, seaburn is built and chapelgarth is built the council should see a positive return on their investment in financial terms alone, not to mention that Sunderland should be better off for it.

Should the council have demanded that they give their own design input to Building 1 at Vaux or should they let the professionals (who have been doing this sort of thing for years) get on with it? It is a fine balance, but on balance I would say give it a chance. As the naysayers have been at pains to point out, we have world leading model makers in Sunderland but none of the models have come to fruition. Let them build it...they haven't done a bad job in Manchester or Birmingham

So 20 plus 10 million equals 30 million. If SCC approved an extension to my house I would be happy; if they underwrote it to the tune of £30 million I would be ecstatic.
We're just playing a game here aren't we ?

So 20 plus 10 million equals 30 million. If SCC approved an extension to my house I would be happy; if they underwrote it to the tune of £30 million I would be ecstatic.
We're just playing a game here aren't we ?
Mebbes you should stick with playing with your Hornby sets

At the end of the day we've been let down massively by the powers that be. Aside from our magnificent coastline, which in my opinion has been massively underutilized for decades now, the one thing Sunderland had going for it was its industrial heritage on a river that could and should have been developed to preserve that history.

These clowns have overseen the tearing down and razing of every last reminder of what made Sunderland great. How anyone who has any real love and pride in this City can forgive them for that is beyond me.

Back