Vaux

Council office workers high-fiving each other now :lol:

While you're wasting taxpayer's money trolling a kid on a footy forum that dull bureaucratic work isn't doing itself

You got one thing right. The OP being a child. :lol:

Both boris and I have tried to enter reasonable debate with him and he's incapable of it. The best way to deal with people like that is mockery. Its exactly the same with Len Lowther.

Last edited:

Only on the SMB can wanting the best for your home town, of wanting to raise standards be construed as negativity.

The only way anything changes for the better is if the people who can affect that change be fearful of reprisal or loss of their (cozy) job.

Sunderland is what it is because those in charge have never had to worry about any of that. The kind of discourse on here is exactly what should be happening in the council chambers....somehow I very much doubt that is the case.

And for the record, the sycophants and apathetic are far more damaging to our City's prospects than anyone who voices concern or airs criticism.

What have you ever done to raise standards apart from whinge on on a message board? What even feint praise have you ever gave any development in the town? You use any excuse to have a bash at the council (I think we get the message, you don't like the fact it's Labour controlled, you've said it enough times). What was that ludicrous shite you bleating on last year about the flagstones in Keel Square not being level?

Would the people moaning on about "biscuit tin" on the top of the Empire would rather it wasn't there and the Empire was closed and left to go to rack and ruin (it was dying on its arse only showing local am/dram productions at a massive loss). When I go to the Empire I don't have a nip round the back to see what's on the roof, I walk in the through the pleasant frontage, sit in a seat and watch the show. Beforehand I even spend a few quid in the various hostelries around about too. Too me, that is more important. Where's the noothsayers positive comments about the fire station development which is right next door to the Empire?

Perhaps if criticism was balanced you'd be taken more seriously. People who have an axe to grind will use whatever they can to sharpen it up.

Only on the SMB can wanting the best for your home town, of wanting to raise standards be construed as negativity.

The only way anything changes for the better is if the people who can affect that change be fearful of reprisal or loss of their (cozy) job.

Sunderland is what it is because those in charge have never had to worry about any of that. The kind of discourse on here is exactly what should be happening in the council chambers....somehow I very much doubt that is the case.

And for the record, the sycophants and apathetic are far more damaging to our City's prospects than anyone who voices concern or airs criticism.

And yet ironically it was boris who started a petition agaisnt the design of the proposed NEXT extension of the Bridges. What have you done apart from moan on a footy message board?
If you actually highlighted whats actually good in the city you might get taken a bit more seriously as at the minute you're acting like a mag on a wind up.

And yet ironically it was boris who started a petition agaisnt the design of the proposed NEXT extension of the Bridges. What have you done apart from moan on a footy message board?
If you actually highlighted whats actually good in the city you might get taken a bit more seriously as at the minute you're acting like a mag on a wind up.
What's happening with Next BTW?

Still obsessed with Shields I see? For someone that thinks the place is a shithole you dont half bang on about it.

Carry on..
Because I said one building looks crap? Don't be so sensitive man

What's happening with Next BTW?
Nothing...a complete abuse of their planning permission. They were asked to do a few more surveys by the planning department and nowt else has happened

Regardless of what they said the council has partially funded the 1992 and 2001 rebuilds and proposes to fund the next polishing of the turd.
Incorrect.

Part fund

How many empty office blocks are their in Sunderland? Why build another one? Especially when it's as shite as this.

Imagine building an iconic, useful building on the banks of a river?

Logon or register to see this image
If you try reading the plans you'll see that they're planning an iconic building

Last edited:
You got one thing right. The OP being a child. :lol:
I said kid. It's something you say to someone who is a bit younger but not necessarily a child. It's what locals say so I doubt you've heard it

The reason I did that is because he seems genuinely concerned about the policy of "hoy up a few boxes and call it regeneration" policy your lot have done for years with no real connection to local communities and residents. The rest of us just roll our eyes and think council wankers.

Both boris and I have tried to enter reasonable debate with him and he's incapable of it. The best way to deal with people like that is mockery. Its exactly the same with Len Lowther.

:lol:

Since when did reasonable debate involve childish taunts about underwear?

Last edited:
What have you ever done to raise standards apart from whinge on on a message board? What even feint praise have you ever gave any development in the town? You use any excuse to have a bash at the council (I think we get the message, you don't like the fact it's Labour controlled, you've said it enough times). What was that ludicrous shite you bleating on last year about the flagstones in Keel Square not being level?

Would the people moaning on about "biscuit tin" on the top of the Empire would rather it wasn't there and the Empire was closed and left to go to rack and ruin (it was dying on its arse only showing local am/dram productions at a massive loss). When I go to the Empire I don't have a nip round the back to see what's on the roof, I walk in the through the pleasant frontage, sit in a seat and watch the show. Beforehand I even spend a few quid in the various hostelries around about too. Too me, that is more important. Where's the noothsayers positive comments about the fire station development which is right next door to the Empire?

Perhaps if criticism was balanced you'd be taken more seriously. People who have an axe to grind will use whatever they can to sharpen it up.
We like a good moan though.To be fair to him he is probably just frustrated, like we all are, but as you say actually doing something has a greater effect than just complaining.

I said kid. It's something you say to someone who is a bit younger but not necessarily a child. It's what locals say so I doubt you've heard it

The reason I did that is because he seems genuinely concerned about the policy of "hoy up a few boxes and call it regeneration" policy your lot have done for years with no real connection to local communities and residents. The rest of us just roll our eyes and think council wankers.

:lol:

Since when did reasonable debate involve childish taunts about underwear?

Its what locals in manchester say.

I make one post on underpants because he's being a tit. Ive asked him loads of sensible stuff which he's refused to answer. He's only got himself to blame.

Its what locals in manchester say.

I make one post on underpants because he's being a tit. Ive asked him loads of sensible stuff which he's refused to answer. He's only got himself to blame.
One of the better city councils tbf, their city regeneration being far more impressive than "WDSC"

Manchester about 3 times the size of sunderland and the regions capital. Its these stupid comparisons why we end up having these arguments and folk unfairly slagging sunderland off.
Isn't that like saying we aren't in the Premier League because we're smaller than Man U?

It's not what you've got but what you do with it. Bad decisions over time are the problem not scale

there's a long history of talking and planning for things in Sunderland, but like the towns football team when it comes to the crunch we seem to be found lacking more often than not (with the odd exception, like QPR at home this weekend!).
I agree...but now they're building and people are still complaining. A bunch on NIMBYs complaining about Seaburn, ditto chapelgarth....now Vaux...probably the same response when the Farringdon Row plans come out. The OP moaning about the paving in Keel Square. People saying the bridge will never happen. Just a bunch of f***ing moaners.

It's not the fault of the people who are trying to do something for the city that some people are never pleased. What a folly it would have been to build a £100m iconic first building on a regeneration site that needs to be commercially viable if the return on investment was 200 years.

Posted it before but:

* Keel Square Development
* Fantastic development planned for the Vaux Site
* New college in town
* New University Development and 'Fab Lab'
* Fantastic new wear bridge crossing and alignment of the roads all the way down to the Port
* Rapid development of Port Of Sunderland and restoration of the rail links
* Renovation of Phoenix House, Cassaton House, Crown House and Chambers Building.
* Redevelopment and Refurbishment of High Street.
* New Hilton Garden Inn.
* The Beacon Of Light.
* Sunderland Software City and the increasing recognition that Sunderland is the UK's silicon valley.
* Converting Joplings into a mixed use accommodation, retail and leisure development
* A further 2 hotels planned for Vaux and High Street.
* Development of a cultural quarter
* Redevelopment of the old fire station as a performing arts venue
* Building of a new arena in the cultural quarter.
* West end shows now a permanent fixture at the Sunderland Empire.
* Massive executive housing scheme being built at leafy Chapelgarth.
* The new Youth Zone being built in Holmeside which already has a commercial operator in place.
* 7 award winning parks
* The award winning redevelopment of the Seafront
* The fantastic restaurant development down Roker Beach.
* The crowning jewel which is the new Seaburn development.
* The Tall Ships race
* The Sunderland bid for City Of Culture 2021

...and the OP wants a rusty f***ing crane

I agree...but now they're building and people are still complaining. A bunch on NIMBYs complaining about Seaburn, ditto chapelgarth....now Vaux...probably the same response when the Farringdon Row plans come out. The OP moaning about the paving in Keel Square. People saying the bridge will never happen. Just a bunch of f***ing moaners.

It's not the fault of the people who are trying to do something for the city that some people are never pleased. What a folly it would have been to build a £100m iconic first building on a regeneration site that needs to be commercially viable if the return on investment was 200 years.

Posted it before but:

* Keel Square Development
* Fantastic development planned for the Vaux Site
* New college in town
* New University Development and 'Fab Lab'
* Fantastic new wear bridge crossing and alignment of the roads all the way down to the Port
* Rapid development of Port Of Sunderland and restoration of the rail links
* Renovation of Phoenix House, Cassaton House, Crown House and Chambers Building.
* Redevelopment and Refurbishment of High Street.
* New Hilton Garden Inn.
* The Beacon Of Light.
* Sunderland Software City and the increasing recognition that Sunderland is the UK's silicon valley.
* Converting Joplings into a mixed use accommodation, retail and leisure development
* A further 2 hotels planned for Vaux and High Street.
* Development of a cultural quarter
* Redevelopment of the old fire station as a performing arts venue
* Building of a new arena in the cultural quarter.
* West end shows now a permanent fixture at the Sunderland Empire.
* Massive executive housing scheme being built at leafy Chapelgarth.
* The new Youth Zone being built in Holmeside which already has a commercial operator in place.
* 7 award winning parks
* The award winning redevelopment of the Seafront
* The fantastic restaurant development down Roker Beach.
* The crowning jewel which is the new Seaburn development.
* The Tall Ships race
* The Sunderland bid for City Of Culture 2021

...and the OP wants a rusty f***ing crane
Rattled

Insolvent

perhaps there's a perception problem then? which is something very difficult to change even after that impressive list of achievements, but its not helped by over egging the pudding on a bang average office block.
Which was only done by a local tinpot radio station. It's not iconic...it's a landmark...a landmark because it is the start of a long overdue development on a key site.

I understand some cyniscism...there is some clear history behind that cynicism. But it's happening now, things are moving in the right direction.

Last edited:

Back