Vaux

ffs man! If the council done nothing with the Vaux site they would get slated, now given they actually secured a huge investment contract and construction has been happening on the site they are getting slated too! can't win! :rolleyes:

@Boris Bear @Wilfy
The point is not that something is being built on Vaux, no, the point is we have the City's radio station lauding a rectangular block as an iconic building.

This sums up Sunderland in a nut shell sadly.

We've been spoon fed shit for so long that mediocrity like this becomes magnificence. And it's gets lapped up every f***ing time.

The point is not that something is being built on Vaux, no, the point is we have the City's radio station lauding a rectangular block as an iconic building.

We've been spoon fed shit for so long that mediocrity like this becomes magnificence. And it's gets lapped up every f***ing time.

Perhaps iconic was a bit of a stretch, but I am very happy at the prospect that it will bring white collar, office jobs into a city centre which desperately needs them and boost the prospects of other businesses and institutions which as pointed out, keep closing down. Thus, that trend can be reversed.

That's a new building? Looks like an office block from the 80's.
More like the 1960's. It's absolutely shocking - square with windows knocked up in a few months so the build must have been pretty cheap. I should imagine that it has a "life expectancy" of around 20 years so please don't get too attached to it.

More like the 1960's. It's absolutely shocking - square with windows knocked up in a few months so the build must have been pretty cheap. I should imagine that it has a "life expectancy" of around 20 years so please don't get too attached to it.

You need to visit Plymouth, having said that their refurbishment around the dock area is amazing

I don't often agree with you but if this building is the sign of things to come then it will be a massive let down.

I walked past it the other day and it looks like that office building near the Burton house.
I agree, and its heartbreaking because we really deserve so much better.

The day the Echo ran full page articles questioning why we needed an iconic bridge over a bog standard one and the letters page was full of people supporting its stance, I knew we, as a City were fucked.

Only in Sunderland, the City where mediocre is the gold standard, could a rectangular office block be considered iconic.

Hope I'm wrong but I can see this whole site being yet another in a long line of wasted opportunities.

https://www.sun-fm.com/news/local/2396997/iconic-vaux-building-has-sights-on-completion/
Been saying it for yonks, anything that goes up in Sunderland is designed with a pencil and twelve inch rule. Square, rectangular buildings. Look at the the extension that was added to a building like the Sunderland Empire, aluminium boxes added.
I know what demonstrations we should be forming, to get these pathetic excuses of councillores out we have in the Civic Centre.

Pointless really....the city centre is full of generic chain shops, pound shops, neglected buildings and run down bars. As soon as something a bit upmarket opens it closes down within months. There's no appetite for upmarket shops or restaurants nor iconic buildings. The football club has become a sad reflection of large parts of the city.

People won't like it but the metro line basically killed any chance the city centre had.

I mean, most cities are chain shops so I don't see that as a problem but you don't have the higher end ones. It's almost a catch 22 situation really if the footfall is chavs who frequent poundland probably wouldn't go into something like the White Company or similar "aspirational" shops.

You need to visit Plymouth, having said that their refurbishment around the dock area is amazing
I visited Plymouth a number of times over the last decade and owing to the way it was re-constructed after the War it was in an awful state. I am glad it is being improved people do deserve a lot better than what they go in the 60's and 70's.

The town centre somehow needs footfall both during the day and on a nighttime ,this and the college being brought into the town centre will hopefully be a step in the right direction .

For a population of nearly 300k the town centre is actually no representation of that populous .

Pointless including the populations of the likes of Washington, Hetton and Houghton though. Sunderland itself is only around 175,000.

I visited Plymouth a number of times over the last decade and owing to the way it was re-constructed after the War it was in an awful state. I am glad it is being improved people do deserve a lot better than what they go in the 60's and 70's.

There are still some horrific looking buildings from late 60s and 70s, in the city centre but the harbour and dock areas are fantastic, for Restaurants, bars and apartments, the fishing is canny also :)

THIS!! Sunderland Council are useless beyond compare when it comes to the city centre

Never mind the building. That second picture boils my piss more than anything a set of f***ing suits with health and safety hard/wide ons stealing the glory. The f***ing wankers.
On the building meh,better than empty land I suppose and will look quality when they stick the token blue LED lights all over the outside

I think I'll wait until they've got the outer skin on before I make my mind up. On the other hand, the basic shape of it lacks imagination.

Back