Vaux site

What do you think should be on there?

The views will up the market price for the residential making it viable. Also hopefully keep people in the city and attract people from outside.

Suspect the design will have been driven by funding therefore restricted by budget?

Agree ideally it would have been a different material.
How about some restaurants and such like, similar to what's been done in Durham over looking the Wear

Are they responsible for maintaining and improving do you know?

ATG run the shows.

There's an arms length charitable trust which may be responsible for maintaining it. Sounds like theres 3 different parties involved & not sure who's responsible for what.

My guess is that it's not on the Council's priorities. Is it owned by them these days? It was previously run as a civic amenity. I think we should be grateful it's still there and is doing well. It could easily have gone at least once in the last 100 years (Adolf for instance). I know of at least 2 that have now been demolished.

My concern now is that it will never reopen.

Yea I don’t disagree. The main thing is the operational side of it in that it can accommodate west end productions. I’d much rather have that than not have a theatre full stop.

Yea I don’t disagree. The main thing is the operational side of it in that it can accommodate west end productions. I’d much rather have that than not have a theatre full stop.
It's a huge asset and is being used to pump prime the businesses in that area, Fire Station, Peacock, restaurants (before Covid).

Vital that it reopens.

My guess is that it's not on the Council's priorities. Is it owned by them these days? It was previously run as a civic amenity. I think we should be grateful it's still there and is doing well. It could easily have gone at least once in the last 100 years (Adolf for instance). I know of at least 2 that have now been demolished.

My concern now is that it will never reopen.

You are good at castigating people but when we ask you for solid suggestions you know sweet FA. Do you post on FB by any chance.
I have given umpteen solid suggestions and highlighted past misdemeanors and mis management of said council which your type conveniently choose to ignore.Your arguing points are as weak as the said councils ambition and vision both past present and future.

Come back with a much more sensible argument. Until then please adjust your rose tinted specs.

Unreal.Of course it would have made a difference.Excusrs excuses.Raise your bar and stop accepting third rate results,stalled regeneration,etc etc etc.People like you are part of the problem here too readily and willing to accept failure and second best if were lucky from a failing Labour council and politicians.

Well ok tell me how it would have made a difference?

Also how can you say the theatre extension is a failure? Ok it might not look like you want it to but it presumably delivers what it is designed for?

How am I the problem? Because I don’t simply jump to the conclusion that any party is fully to blame. Can you tell me if the other parties objected at the planning committee?

Let’s be honest you are the problem with your inability to debate without having to resort to insults. It typifies the fact that you have little comprehension of how developments work. You clearly expect to things to happen which are completely unviable or undeliverable, and as such will never ever happen.

If you are so passionate, clever and ambitious above us plebs why not try and be a cllr.
How about some restaurants and such like, similar to what's been done in Durham over looking the Wear

Yeah I think a lot of what is planned in Durham is housing. They do have more food and beverage included though I understand quite a few have pulled out recently due to the current market. From some of the plans they are planning on commercial (restaurants and the like at the gf of some of the units).
It's a huge asset and is being used to pump prime the businesses in that area, Fire Station, Peacock, restaurants (before Covid).

Vital that it reopens.

Totally agree. That one area of Sunderland is reasonably successful and of a reasonable quality.

Last edited:
Well ok tell me how it would have made a difference?

Also how can you say the theatre extension is a failure? Ok it might not look like you want it to but it presumably delivers what it is designed for?

I think with the theatre being able to host the big shows is a massive thing, and the adding of a 4star hotel in close proximity is a really good and hopefully there is a deal to do a show and sleep tickets. The Fly Tower looks like a corn beef tin and I think it would look better with maybe a laser-cut metal design wrapped around that is backlit by LED's

What do you think should be on there?

The views will up the market price for the residential making it viable. Also hopefully keep people in the city and attract people from outside.

Suspect the design will have been driven by funding therefore restricted by budget?

Agree ideally it would have been a different material.

To be fair, the views of the river, in arguably a better location given you get a cracking view of bridge and sea, did absolutely nothing for the echo24 appartments or the ones directly opposite.

To be fair, the views of the river, in arguably a better location given you get a cracking view of bridge and sea, did absolutely nothing for the echo24 appartments or the ones directly opposite.

I don’t disagree. Hopefully as they aren’t quite the same scale of apartment to echo 24 they are more desirable. Time will tell of course.
I think with the theatre being able to host the big shows is a massive thing, and the adding of a 4star hotel in close proximity is a really good and hopefully there is a deal to do a show and sleep tickets. The Fly Tower looks like a corn beef tin and I think it would look better with maybe a laser-cut metal design wrapped around that is backlit by LED's

Yeah I think it could have been better but the function is the most important part. Looks like they’ve followed the original wall design up through the metal cladding. Guess that would have been quicker than if it was of brick construction and suppose that down time would have been wanted to be kept to a minimum, to meet future booking commitments?

I suspect the main issue however was always the overall budget as funding appears to have come from various sources:

Most of the funding will come from the city council, which is investing almost £2m in the refurbishment. A further £1.1m will come from Clear Channel Entertainment, which runs the theatre, with the remaining £1.5m being provided by regional development agency, One NorthEast.

Last edited:
What are your views on the horrendous steel shedding structure addition attached to the empire theatre a few years ago ??? Cheap and nasty option as is the labour council way.

I think it looks an absolute mess, i assumed the empire would be a listed structure so how on earth the planners allowed it im not sure. Surely it could be ‘dressed’ in some adverts for upcoming events to hide the frame

Back