Vaux site

I’ve cycled past the Beam a couple of times now and I must say it looks much better up close. They have achieved what they set out to as the building appears to be sitting in the thin raked columns which are external to the facade.

I hope the new building is finished to a similar standard as these are the start of a meaningful development. One thing that needs to be taken into account is the masterplan seems to be of a decent standard. The problem is it may take years to eventually populate the area, certainly following the recent crisis which will undoubtedly stall progress.

:evil:
Good to see all the local expert architects and building designers giving their opinions already. Let’s build nowt there and blame the council for nothing happening. Ffs man can anybody build anything in this place without criticism? Seen that Hadrian tower in Newcastle? That concrete tower, looks f***ing great doesn’t it.
Mate I drove past it yesterday first time in few weeks and although early days it looked an eyesore just from the angle of driving past , hopefully end result is different.
The town is full of ugly concrete buildings which replaced far nicer ones , you just have to look at old photos of Frederick street and the train station etc to see that local planners completely ruined the look of the town

I’ve cycled past the Beam a couple of times now and I must say it looks much better up close. They have achieved what they set out to as the building appears to be sitting in the thin raked columns which are external to the facade.

I hope the new building is finished to a similar standard as these are the start of a meaningful development. One thing that needs to be taken into account is the masterplan seems to be of a decent standard. The problem is it may take years to eventually populate the area, certainly following the recent crisis which will undoubtedly stall progress.

looks great from the riverside.

Mate I drove past it yesterday first time in few weeks and although early days it looked an eyesore just from the angle of driving past , hopefully end result is different.
The town is full of ugly concrete buildings which replaced far nicer ones , you just have to look at old photos of Frederick street and the train station etc to see that local planners completely ruined the look of the town

sadly you won’t see the recreation of historic style buildings, as they are just too costly to construct. Plus the skill labour force no longer exist.

sadly you won’t see the recreation of historic style buildings, as they are just too costly to construct. Plus the skill labour force no longer exist.
That’s a good point , just boils my piss when see the old buildings and how the town looked so much better and replaced with bland concrete shite

That’s a good point , just boils my piss when see the old buildings and how the town looked so much better and replaced with bland concrete shite

I think I read somewhere that Sunderland hasn’t lost as many historic buildings as you might think, compared to say Newcastle etc. The issue is that we didn’t have a great deal to start with and those that do remain aren’t prominent enough. Also the ones we did lose where probably more iconic such as train station and civic centre.

thibk the original train station (on high st west) was bombed?

We both know that’s bolllocks, it’s a fantastic landmark that we would have loved
You’d get some people twisting on that it’s not in the Victorian style. Do you judge all buildings as they’re going up? Judge the final article. And when you say it’s a box, I’ll post pictures of boxes built around the world that you will say are fantastic.

:evil:
Good to see all the local expert architects and building designers giving their opinions already. Let’s build nowt there and blame the council for nothing happening. Ffs man can anybody build anything in this place without criticism? Seen that Hadrian tower in Newcastle? That concrete tower, looks f***ing great doesn’t it.
It's like something from Soviet Russia!

What’s that concrete monstrosity that’s being built ?

My mate used to say "a fool and a woman should never see a job half done" - very harsh to judge something when not even a fifth of it has been built. Often find buildings that look great in cgi are rubbish are vice-versa. Why don't you wait until it has been finished to give judgement. If it was in Newcastle people on here would be bleating on about the great new development and why can't Sunderland keep up. Twist on twenty-one is a phrase I often think of about the locals when Sunderland council do anything.

I think I read somewhere that Sunderland hasn’t lost as many historic buildings as you might think, compared to say Newcastle etc. The issue is that we didn’t have a great deal to start with and those that do remain aren’t prominent enough. Also the ones we did lose where probably more iconic such as train station and civic centre.

thibk the original train station (on high st west) was bombed?
Both ends were damaged. There are still lots but some like to blame the Council when in fact there weren't owned by them and before 1967 there was little to prevent demolition as no laws were in place prior to this date.

My mate used to say "a fool and a woman should never see a job half done" - very harsh to judge something when not even a fifth of it has been built. Often find buildings that look great in cgi are rubbish are vice-versa. Why don't you wait until it has been finished to give judgement. If it was in Newcastle people on here would be bleating on about the great new development and why can't Sunderland keep up. Twist on twenty-one is a phrase I often think of about the locals when Sunderland council do anything.
Fair point and will do

f***ing
Nail
Head

well done sir

Fair point and will do

Thank you. It may indeed end up being a monstrosity but we need to wait and see. I like the Premier Inn at the bottom of Silksworth Row bank, I think it fits it's location brilliantly but the Travel Lodge behind the Minster I would pull down tomorrow; spoiled one of the best views of the Minster. As for "The Beam" I think we need to see the finished site to give it a proper judgment. The developments at Vaux while long overdue are getting there. Just a pity the current situation is putting everything on hold.

Back