Vaux site......

I know. They not new mate. They from next to Swinton which is still empty mate. So that two empty offices right next to the Joplin’s that someone as invested in. Bet they are buzzing.

You paint Vaux as a failure and when someone moves in and expands and gets lots of positive publicity you highlight a negativity elsewhere? Surely it's great that a local success story is moving on to bigger premises and staying in the same city.

You paint Vaux as a failure and when someone moves in and expands and gets lots of positive publicity you highlight a negativity elsewhere? Surely it's great that a local success story is moving on to bigger premises and staying in the same city.
Where did I say that? It’s had its problems the same as the council but like I say there’s loads happening at the minute in Sunderland in general. Ocado is really good news. But it must be used as a catalyst to bring knew businesses to the city paddy. There’s X amount of people live and work in Sunderland who spend X amount to create an economy. No matter how much you move them within the city the economy won’t grow. The council have had to buy the land and will pull back rent from the building which is great but all that won’t matter if shops and businesses don’t make more cash.
Let’s hope they fill the empty floor with a new business.

Oi Ljen, you do realise that Salford Quays is pretty much a stones throw from central Manchester & Old Trafford? The town centre (in Swinton) is shite. Its similar to Gateshead in that the Quayside gets a lot of investment as it hangs on the coat tails of Newcastle but the rest of it leaves a lot to be desired.

As I keep reiterating much of it is entirely down to geography & history. And it doesnt make the slightest difference which party controls the council nothing will change.

I know. They not new mate. They from next to Swinton which is still empty mate. So that two empty offices right next to the Joplin’s that someone as invested in. Bet they are buzzing.
On the one side of it the requirements for some of the marketing stuff for the Beam that went out to tender was as much about attracting business from outside the city as it was about the facilities there.

In some respects I suppose their hands are tied if they have interested parties and offices to fill. They got plenty of stick for the occupancy rates of the Software Centre.

On the other hand I can see how it's just seen as shuffling businesses around the city centre.

But then is that not how it should work? Businesses take on more staff and move into bigger and better premises? Then in theory the space they left behind is available for the next small business, in a city that's showing a small business can be based and grow here. In theory like.

On the one side of it the requirements for some of the marketing stuff for the Beam that went out to tender was as much about attracting business from outside the city as it was about the facilities there.

In some respects I suppose their hands are tied if they have interested parties and offices to fill. They got plenty of stick for the occupancy rates of the Software Centre.

On the other hand I can see how it's just seen as shuffling businesses around the city centre.

But then is that not how it should work? Businesses take on more staff and move into bigger and better premises? Then in theory the space they left behind is available for the next small business, in a city that's showing a small business can be based and grow here. In theory like.

Reading the press release it does sound like this Penshaw company has outgrown its old premises, moved into Beam & taking on more staff.

If the Beam building wasnt there, they might have moved to a business park or even Newcastle in order to expand.

Aye your right mate in an ideal world but next door of where they are moving from as stood empty for a year now. I’m not knocking the beam I like it, it looks ok and hopefully will fill up sooner rather than later. It’s no good taking all this investment and just giving the city a facelift though. But you’re right in principle

I think you also have to remember that every town and city up and down the breadth of the UK and to some degree Europe are chasing the same businesses to locate in their town and city, therefore it’s not an easy task. It’s not like the council can create these companies to locate in Sunderland (although I guess they could invest in start ups, which could be highly risky and probably too much for the electorate to endure). Sunderland has a number of assets but as many if not more challenges.
Aye your right mate in an ideal world but next door of where they are moving from as stood empty for a year now. I’m not knocking the beam I like it, it looks ok and hopefully will fill up sooner rather than later. It’s no good taking all this investment and just giving the city a facelift though. But you’re right in principle

Hopefully those areas can reinvent themselves - for instance many of the offices in Sunniside at one time or another we’re residential properties, nothing stopping them being returned to that. Sunniside in turn could become predominantly a residential area with cafes, bars and restaurants.

Last edited:
I think you also have to remember that every town and city up and down the breadth of the UK and to some degree Europe are chasing the same businesses to locate in their town and city, therefore it’s not an easy task. It’s not like the council can create these companies to locate in Sunderland (although I guess they could invest in start ups, which could be highly risky and probably too much for the electorate to endure). Sunderland has a number of assets but as many if not more challenges.

Hopefully those areas can reinvent themselves - for instance many of the offices in Sunniside at one time or another we’re residential properties, nothing stopping them being returned to that. Sunniside in turn could become predominantly a residential area with cafes, bars and restaurants.
I suggested this before. Move the lot of them. And villiers st and get some more of them apartments up. Mind I don’t think many of the residents in the old post office use angelos :lol:

I suggested this before. Move the lot of them. And villiers st and get some more of them apartments up. Mind I don’t think many of the residents in the old post office use angelos :lol:

Yeah I’ve heard stories about the some of the residents of the old post office! There is a load of shite around sunniside and it probably needs to get worse before it gets better ie they probably need to relocate some of the old tired industrial units to try and get new resi blocks built as people aren’t really attracted to living that way at the moment.

Unfortunately a lot of the properties in Sunderland I think are owned by absentee landlords that really don’t have an interest or incentive to update the properties as they are unlikely to see much of a return.

Yeah I’ve heard stories about the some of the residents of the old post office! There is a load of shite around sunniside and it probably needs to get worse before it gets better ie they probably need to relocate some of the old tired industrial units to try and get new resi blocks built as people aren’t really attracted to living that way at the moment.

Unfortunately a lot of the properties in Sunderland I think are owned by absentee landlords that really don’t have an interest or incentive to update the properties as they are unlikely to see much of a return.
Aye it’s the same all over Sunderland I don’t know what it is but the auctions are hard work atm for houses in Sunderland. Gone are the days of making 20% and having to hang on for six month. I don’t know if it’s all the new builds driving the prices down or what. But I think the council definitely have to shrink the city centre. I remember a mp getting pelters for saying we should bull doze the likes of murton and easington and other similar ares to force people to move into the city’s.
Outrageous at the time but doesn’t look a bad shout. The daughter is looking to buy next year and they are looking at fencehouses, it sounds crackers but a lot more bang for ya buck.

Aye it’s the same all over Sunderland I don’t know what it is but the auctions are hard work atm for houses in Sunderland. Gone are the days of making 20% and having to hang on for six month. I don’t know if it’s all the new builds driving the prices down or what. But I think the council definitely have to shrink the city centre. I remember a mp getting pelters for saying we should bull doze the likes of murton and easington and other similar ares to force people to move into the city’s.
Outrageous at the time but doesn’t look a bad shout. The daughter is looking to buy next year and they are looking at fencehouses, it sounds crackers but a lot more bang for ya buck.

If you go further out away from the centre you'll always get more bang for your bucks.
Places like Hetton & Peterlee will always be a canny bit cheaper than central Sunderland.

If you go further out away from the centre you'll always get more bang for your bucks.
Places like Hetton & Peterlee will always be a canny bit cheaper than central Sunderland.
I knew a lad who bought a 4 bedroom detached house with double garage that was detached in Easington colliery. When he used to tell people ‘where’ he lived he would reply ‘oh I have a 4 bedroom detached new build’ then add detached double garage. It got to the point where I’d say to other mates “ask him where he lives”.
Double garage David..... not seen him for ages.

Its pleasing that the first building is going to be in use soon. They need to latch onto any momentum and get the others builds and get someone tennants.

Regarding the city centre, I still believe the people of Sunderland need to stand up and be countered. Increase the footfall and these will make development more attractive.

Its pleasing that the first building is going to be in use soon. They need to latch onto any momentum and get the others builds and get someone tennants.

Regarding the city centre, I still believe the people of Sunderland need to stand up and be countered. Increase the footfall and these will make development more attractive.
Countered by who?

Shocking state of affairs.15-20 years since Vaux closed.Only in Sunderland coulf that beam building be described as iconic by an inept,failing Labour council.Vote these amateurs out and finally give this city some hope and a proper future instead of stagnation,incompetence and hot air ,,bullshit Labour propaganda.

Yeah, vote the Tories in and they gut the entire city.

Labour are the lesser of 2 evils.

Back