Vaux site......

What's wrong with the residents of the Post Office apartments nowadays? Have they all gone to shit or something? Always look canny when I walk past.

Aye it’s the same all over Sunderland I don’t know what it is but the auctions are hard work atm for houses in Sunderland. Gone are the days of making 20% and having to hang on for six month. I don’t know if it’s all the new builds driving the prices down or what. But I think the council definitely have to shrink the city centre. I remember a mp getting pelters for saying we should bull doze the likes of murton and easington and other similar ares to force people to move into the city’s.
Outrageous at the time but doesn’t look a bad shout. The daughter is looking to buy next year and they are looking at fencehouses, it sounds crackers but a lot more bang for ya buck.
There’s a reason mate, crap area. Wish we’d never bought ours, 10 year in on a new build and we’ll be lucky to break even.

There’s a reason mate, crap area. Wish we’d never bought ours, 10 year in on a new build and we’ll be lucky to break even.
Aye I get that mate 100%, but tbf gone are days of buying a flat then a small house then a house in your 30s to live in forever. It’s like now £200k new builds three or four bedroom, en suite, detached garage, garden front and rear. Where do you go from there? If you live there all your life it doesn’t really matter about the value.

What's wrong with the residents of the Post Office apartments nowadays? Have they all gone to shit or something? Always look canny when I walk past.

Think it may be full of students.
Had a glance in that Hacketts window today & noticed it was advertising student digs for the PO & the mowbray park ones, as well as those down nile street that were built during property boom.
Doesnt appear to be any demand for higher end flats in Sunderland.

Had a glance in that Hacketts window today & noticed it was advertising student digs for the PO & the mowbray park ones, as well as those down nile street that were built during property boom.
Student digs? Must be nice. :lol:

Those Mowbray Park flats were class and expensive when they were first built.

Seems that people who bought from new at Echo 24 and Mowbray taking big hits on re-sale, Echo down to around 100k and Mowbray 30-40k apparently

Seems that people who bought from new at Echo 24 and Mowbray taking big hits on re-sale, Echo down to around 100k and Mowbray 30-40k apparently
Echo building average price when new was around £190,000.
Most were bought by investors.
Average sale price in the last 3 years is around £80,000.
Obviously the market crashed but has never recovered in the city centre.
High service charges and issues with the management and maintenance havent helped either.

I take it you mean this:

The new City Hall:

Logon or register to see this image

I see the Sunderland now facebook page is in full swing with the design being shit, the building is not needed and asking how is this building going to attract tourist or people to shop in the city centre!!! Ffs. Lol.
Echo building average price when new was around £190,000.
Most were bought by investors.
Average sale price in the last 3 years is around £80,000.
Obviously the market crashed but has never recovered in the city centre.
High service charges and issues with the management and maintenance havent helped either.

I suspect that the biggest issue with values is the lack of personal ownership with the majority of properties being bought on buy to let. Due to the transient nature of tenants In the properties people are unwilling to buy the property for their own and sole home therefore values fall as a consequence and rental values / demand in the city centre is low therefore the value of the property to an investor is just a calculation of the rent and risk.

Last edited:
I want to have a great City Centre too, but for Sunderland's needs the City Centre is too large for the footfall it receives, things change just accept it, if Sunderland takes off again in the future the Centre will grow again, it's a dynamic thing.

What happens with sites like round villiers and Nile street if they're not going to be added to the city centre? Leave them undeveloped plots? Do nothing with them?
I'm not suggesting these places are for retail.....that's a shrinking industry. I'm talking about using the space for something unique that compliments the city centre.

What happens with sites like round villiers and Nile street if they're not going to be added to the city centre? Leave them undeveloped plots? Do nothing with them?
I'm not suggesting these places are for retail.....that's a shrinking industry. I'm talking about using the space for something unique that compliments the city centre.

Agreed. Residential is the obvious solution.

I see the Sunderland now facebook page is in full swing with the design being shit, the building is not needed and asking how is this building going to attract tourist or people to shop in the city centre!!! Ffs. Lol.

I suspect that the biggest issue with values is the lack of personal ownership with the majority of properties being bought on buy to let. Due to the transient nature of tenants In the properties people are unwilling to buy the property for their own and sole home therefore values fall as a consequence and rental values / demand in the city centre is low therefore the value of the property to an investor is just a calculation of the rent and risk.

I'm sure those Sunderland Facebook posts are by people not necessarily wanting the best for Sunderland. Probably mags

I think the council are looking at residential, but cant see much demand for anything other than student digs in that area.

Back