Not sure where that would have come from

It mentions a medical facility on farringdon row
Which ones are from Sunderland?

Carol Malia -Tynemouth
Jeff Brown - Jarrow
Dawn Thewlis - Newcastle

Jeff Brown is a MLF. Ive seen him at away games
There's plenty of cheaper locations in Sunderland
Whilst it would be desirable to have a location near good transport links would it really be worth the costs of a city centre site
Time will tell I suppose

I think the point is that it moves well paid jobs into the city centre which is an economic boost for the city centre retail & leisure. The other thing is when people go there (as a patient or just dropping family off) as theyre in town they might decide to do a bit of shopping whilst theyre there or have a meal afterwards

Last edited:

It mentions a medical facility on farringdon row

I had completely missed that, thanks.
As you have mentioned the farringdon row site, have there been any updates from the MoJ or must we wait for the next government and a spending review. Last I heard was a relatively low cost revamp of the existing courts

I take your point in relation to moving jobs into the city centre

Last edited:
As you have mentioned the farringdon row site, have there been any updates from the MoJ or must we wait for the next government and a spending review. Last I heard was a relatively low cost revamp of the existing courts

The court complex was mothballed a couple of years back. I think the MoJ may have also sold the land back to council since. There was a council press release a few weeks ago about the spending plans & there was quite a big figure allocated for farringdon row. Which makes me wonder if council are building, then leasing it to NHS

Been rumoured that the Eye Infirmary would move in, their present site would be sold for housing (it's a prime site).
Ken Bremner who is charge of the the South Tyneside & Sunderland Hospital Trusts and (couldn't run a bath and yet is paid £266k pa) needs the money for another of his crank re-organisations.
Exactly what I've heard, I know someone on the board of governors and talks are fairly advanced apparently.

The Chronic likes to stick the knife in whenever possible and loves a good bad news story about Sunderland. I remember when the 50m swimming pool was announced, couple of weeks later, think it was Northumbria Uni were talking of building one, it was almost like how dare anywhere south of the Tyne have something and not Newcastle. The sad thing is you talk to people outside of the region and I often find when you mention Sunderland there is a negative perception because you get the "well my daughter's boyfriend is from Newcastle and he said Sunderland is awful blah blah blah". In the last few years Sunderland is finding it's own Brexit away from Newcastle and I think it is much better for it; imagine if that TWDC was in charge, I doubt much of the 100million today would be finding it's way into Sunderland. Just need to the BBC to ditch it's regional bias too, the likes of BBC Radio Newcastle (clue's is in the name) and Look North - another lot who aren't pro north-east, despite the claims. Could you imagine the melt down in the Chronic if the BBC said it was moving out of Newcastle and moving to the Vaux site to save a load of money - oh what fun that would be.

Saw one dribbler comment on the Chronic article saying no amount of money will improve Sunderland because you can’t polish a turd. How’s the thick fucker think Newcastle got a decent city centre like, pixie dust overnight?

Been rumoured that the Eye Infirmary would move in, their present site would be sold for housing (it's a prime site).
Ken Bremner who is charge of the the South Tyneside & Sunderland Hospital Trusts and (couldn't run a bath and yet is paid £266k pa) needs the money for another of his crank re-organisations.
The eye infirmary is the creepiest building in Sunderland, its like Arkham asylum. I went there with our lass for an emergency appointment (daft sod scratched her eyeball putting fake lashes on :rolleyes:), and we were sitting there alone until about midnight. I actually felt like the hair was standing up on the back of my neck. They could definitely do with moving it somewhere more fit for purpose.

Half of that shit isn’t even true! The Bridges was extended and improved in 2000 and again, later, with the Primark development. Twist on 21 some people.

I don’t agree re: BBC Newcastle, given that half the presenters are from Sunderland, I think they are pretty fair.

So why don't the BBC change the name to BBC North East ? Another meltdown in the Chronic / The Journal if they did.

I take your point in relation to moving jobs into the city centre
When I moved back to Sunderland, 15/16 years ago, there was a sign on the fence of that sight telling everyone about new developments and that they had to "WATCH THIS SPACE" I'm still watching it.

One in the eye for the eye infirmary you could say then?

The eye infirmary is the creepiest building in Sunderland, its like Arkham asylum. I went there with our lass for an emergency appointment (daft sod scratched her eyeball putting fake lashes on :rolleyes:), and we were sitting there alone until about midnight. I actually felt like the hair was standing up on the back of my neck. They could definitely do with moving it somewhere more fit for purpose.
It’s an absolutely fantastic facility.
The level of care is outstanding.

Back