Vaux site......

Typical negative comments from the chronicle readers about this story. Just goes to show they aren't pro north-east, despite their claims

The Chronic likes to stick the knife in whenever possible and loves a good bad news story about Sunderland. I remember when the 50m swimming pool was announced, couple of weeks later, think it was Northumbria Uni were talking of building one, it was almost like how dare anywhere south of the Tyne have something and not Newcastle. The sad thing is you talk to people outside of the region and I often find when you mention Sunderland there is a negative perception because you get the "well my daughter's boyfriend is from Newcastle and he said Sunderland is awful blah blah blah". In the last few years Sunderland is finding it's own Brexit away from Newcastle and I think it is much better for it; imagine if that TWDC was in charge, I doubt much of the 100million today would be finding it's way into Sunderland. Just need to the BBC to ditch it's regional bias too, the likes of BBC Radio Newcastle (clue's is in the name) and Look North - another lot who aren't pro north-east, despite the claims. Could you imagine the melt down in the Chronic if the BBC said it was moving out of Newcastle and moving to the Vaux site to save a load of money - oh what fun that would be.

it's gearing up to be transformative. Any town/city centre should be the epicentre for commerce and that's the way Sunderland is heading

A long way to go but another huge step. L&G have history in large scale redevelopment / regeneration they’ve done a lot in Cardiff

Legal & General adds BTR scheme to £400m Cardiff project

Hopefully it works and they can redevelop at a similar scale.
L&G are not the only company lined up to invest in the site.

Any idea who else or what else?

Typical morons of Sunderland commenting on this;
Why can't people just take positive news?
Half of that shit isn’t even true! The Bridges was extended and improved in 2000 and again, later, with the Primark development. Twist on 21 some people.
The Chronic likes to stick the knife in whenever possible and loves a good bad news story about Sunderland. I remember when the 50m swimming pool was announced, couple of weeks later, think it was Northumbria Uni were talking of building one, it was almost like how dare anywhere south of the Tyne have something and not Newcastle. The sad thing is you talk to people outside of the region and I often find when you mention Sunderland there is a negative perception because you get the "well my daughter's boyfriend is from Newcastle and he said Sunderland is awful blah blah blah". In the last few years Sunderland is finding it's own Brexit away from Newcastle and I think it is much better for it; imagine if that TWDC was in charge, I doubt much of the 100million today would be finding it's way into Sunderland. Just need to the BBC to ditch it's regional bias too, the likes of BBC Radio Newcastle (clue's is in the name) and Look North - another lot who aren't pro north-east, despite the claims. Could you imagine the melt down in the Chronic if the BBC said it was moving out of Newcastle and moving to the Vaux site to save a load of money - oh what fun that would be.
I don’t agree re: BBC Newcastle, given that half the presenters are from Sunderland, I think they are pretty fair.

Last edited:
Half of that shit isn’t even true! The Bridges was extended and improved in 2000 and again, later, with the Primark development. Twist on 21 some people.

I don’t agree re: BBC Newcastle, given that half the presenters are from Sunderland, I think they are pretty fair.

Which ones are from Sunderland?

Carol Malia -Tynemouth
Jeff Brown - Jarrow
Dawn Thewlis - Newcastle

I have not read anything about a hospital on the site
Not sure where that would have come from

Been rumoured that the Eye Infirmary would move in, their present site would be sold for housing (it's a prime site).
Ken Bremner who is charge of the the South Tyneside & Sunderland Hospital Trusts and (couldn't run a bath and yet is paid £266k pa) needs the money for another of his crank re-organisations.

Been rumoured that the Eye Infirmary would move in, their present site would be sold for housing (it's a prime site).
Ken Bremner who is charge of the the South Tyneside & Sunderland Hospital Trusts and (couldn't run a bath and yet is paid £266k pa) needs the money for another of his crank re-organisations.
I'd heard that they were looking to relocate the eye infirmary but never thought about relocating to Vaux as I cannot see how the cost would stack up.
Then again if it's not your money...

I'd heard that they were looking to relocate the eye infirmary but never thought about relocating to Vaux as I cannot see how the cost would stack up.
Then again if it's not your money...

Small footprint - build a state of the art hi-rise hospital on relatively cheap land and release acres of prime Ashbrooke land which would be an effectively a brown field site.
See it all the time. Like the morons moaning about the council giving away land at Seaburn to Miller homes. Erm, it's not council land.

The Railway station is a disgrace and privately owned (?) but the council gets it in the neck - maybe SCC should CPO it but the Tories would bellyache about that - and has to subsidize the improvements if any.

Last edited:
Small footprint - build a state of the art hi-rise hospital on relatively cheap land and release acres of prime Ashbrooke land which would be an effectively a brown field site.
There's plenty of cheaper locations in Sunderland
Whilst it would be desirable to have a location near good transport links would it really be worth the costs of a city centre site
Time will tell I suppose

The Railway station is a disgrace and privately owned (?) but the council gets it in the neck - maybe SCC should CPO it but the Tories would bellyache about that - and has to subsidize the improvements if any.
Think the zoning committee needs to rule on the location of the eye infirmary. @muggboots @The Spezial One whats the verdict?

Back