Vaux site......

Yeah pity its about 15 this side of christmasses too late.

Yes I understand that but the council didn’t own the land 20 or 15 years ago. Sadly I doubt we will ever fully understand whether the council could have acquired it at the time or whether they stepped aside for another developer.

Regardless it’s not the same people around now as back then.

Yes I understand that but the council didn’t own the land 20 or 15 years ago. Sadly I doubt we will ever fully understand whether the council could have acquired it at the time or whether they stepped aside for another developer.

Regardless it’s not the same people around now as back then.
Of course the labour council should have purchased the site in 1999/2000.Excuses excuses.....stop it !

And yet despite all of your protests you have zero answers for alternative options.
Your just an apologist for a failing council.You MUST have some sort of connection.to them.I have given alternatives but you choose conveniently to ignore.

Of course the labour council should have purchased the site in 1999/2000.Excuses excuses.....stop it !

Sorry but I honestly don’t know if they were able to purchase it and that is my honest answer. Can you categorically say that SCC chose not to and had the opportunity to out bid Tesco?

Sorry but I honestly don’t know if they were able to purchase it and that is my honest answer. Can you categorically say that SCC chose not to and had the opportunity to out bid Tesco?
There was ten year of legal wrangling and sc blocked many planning applications at the time which suggests they could have or why block planning. I’m sure I read tesco finally sell Sunderland council the Vaux site after ten years of trying.

There was ten year of legal wrangling and sc blocked many planning applications at the time which suggests they could have or why block planning. I’m sure I read tesco finally sell Sunderland council the Vaux site after ten years of trying.

Yeah I understand that they did that to allow them to compulsory purchase the site, basically by stopping retail on the site it meant the site was of no use to Tesco and thus pushing them to sell the land to SCC. I was wondering more if they had an opportunity to acquire the land at the time the site was originally sold by whitbread I think?

I understand that the arc at the time basically pissed Tesco off by telling them that they’ll CPO the site which meant Tesco gave two fingers too then and that they wouldn’t treat with Sunderland Arc at all.

Your just an apologist for a failing council.You MUST have some sort of connection.to them.I have given alternatives but you choose conveniently to ignore.

You havent like. Ive asked 4 times now & avoid answering every time. Instead just giving a list of things the shouldnt have done
Just been watching apprentice & sugar has said the same thing about criticism & solutions.
And stop repeating Lens tedious crack. Its another classic example of having no answers. Get challenged on something? Must be one of them..

You havent like. Ive asked 4 times now & avoid answering every time. Instead just giving a list of things the shouldnt have done
Just been watching apprentice & sugar has said the same thing about criticism & solutions.
And stop repeating Lens tedious crack. Its another classic example of having no answers. Get challenged on something? Must be one of them..
Just a load of spin and meaningless inuendo from you .How anyone can defend this and past inept Labour councils is beyond me ? .I can only conclude you have a strong connection to them.

Not to sound rambling but I can see lens point like. It’s easy for a labour council to blame government funding but tbf, Vaux shut under a labour government and local labour council, it was bought by Tesco’s under the same regime. It just feels like when the Tory’s got in it all changed. The site was bought back and now tenants are moving into the building, the bridge is up and the new road on the way. It just seems in the last few years this Tory government have ploughed money into the city.
Me personally I think people up here vote like they support the footie team ‘till they die” which is silly.
If the local council want to take credit for what is happening in the city atm surely they should brunt some of the blame for the bad things but they seem to blame (like many on here) central Tory government cuts, or the cuts from the Tory government before. People need to look to the future when voting and going back on what’s happened to the Vaux site and the strides the city is making now it involves the Tory’s unfortunately.

Not to sound rambling but I can see lens point like. It’s easy for a labour council to blame government funding but tbf, Vaux shut under a labour government and local labour council, it was bought by Tesco’s under the same regime. It just feels like when the Tory’s got in it all changed. The site was bought back and now tenants are moving into the building, the bridge is up and the new road on the way. It just seems in the last few years this Tory government have ploughed money into the city.
Me personally I think people up here vote like they support the footie team ‘till they die” which is silly.
If the local council want to take credit for what is happening in the city atm surely they should brunt some of the blame for the bad things but they seem to blame (like many on here) central Tory government cuts, or the cuts from the Tory government before. People need to look to the future when voting and going back on what’s happened to the Vaux site and the strides the city is making now it involves the Tory’s unfortunately.

Whether you have a Labour council or a Tory council wouldn't really make a lot of difference. The biggest factor holding Sunderland (and the North East in general) back is geography imho. Another brake that has been taken off Sunderland developing is not being part of the remit of a regional development agency in 2012 and having much more autonomy in the decisions it makes/takes.

And funding for the bridge was secured in 2009 when there was a Labour government.

Whether you have a Labour council or a Tory council wouldn't really make a lot of difference. The biggest factor holding Sunderland (and the North East in general) back is geography imho. Another brake that has been taken off Sunderland developing is not being part of the remit of a regional development agency in 2012 and having much more autonomy in the decisions it makes/takes.

And funding for the bridge was secured in 2009 when there was a Labour government.
It's true that the initial funding was secured under a Labour government, but after the failed Iconic bridge project, I think the whole thing had to get resubmitted, under a Conservative government which obviously was granted, the new bridge also had to survive a spending review under the Austority review which both Labour and Conservative political parties insisted was required after the financial crash.

In fairness I’m not sure the council could have bought the site before 2011 as an agreement in principal was only reached in 2010, however most of the funding I believe came from One North East and Homes & Communities Agency anyway.

Sunderland City Council buys former Vaux brewery site http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wear-12577135

That is not to say that the council chose not to acquire the site in the 1998/98 when it closed and we’re happy for Tesco or someone else to development the site at that time. if that was the case then that is the labour council of that times fault. After that then they are always playing catch up but it is not the same labour council now as then. Equally would the other parties at the time acquired it? Who knows?

But you are right it’s time for people to move on from that and look to what is now being delivered.

It's true that the initial funding was secured under a Labour government, but after the failed Iconic bridge project, I think the whole thing had to get resubmitted, under a Conservative government which obviously was granted, the new bridge also had to survive a spending review under the Austority review which both Labour and Conservative political parties insisted was required after the financial crash.

I don't think it had to get resubmitted but the Tories did pull a lot of funding for infrastructure projects in 2010. I think the Tories did tell them to get a shift on though or they'd lose it.

I believe the concept for the bridge and case for it has been ongoing for probably 20 years or more. The original design of the iconic element of the bridge was agreed back in 2005 I think. People are having a swipe at the council for trying to deliver an iconic bridge but then slating them for lacking any sort of ambition.
how many years since the council acquired it?

8 years.

Back