Vaux site......

yeah absolutely, Greggs have got it good there. Doxy is pretty much empty for food places (obviously places have their own catering) but outside there's only the greggs and the pub.

to be honest, people have went on that much about the beam on the sunderland echo site that I think it's influenced people because it was negative and its the echo. it looks great lit up at night though and the new building, which they have also built in another country, (canada, i think) looks great as well.

naah theres a PIP place in that corner building by the roundabout as well
Wear view house? I thought that was just a general benefit/dwp place.
Do you know anything about penshaw training? I was working opposite them the other day and it looks like a place where the dole send people on courses judging by the people going in and out.
Do you like the look of the horizon building?

yeah the car parks not the main point. the new tombola building is really good as well, ive seen inside. pretty good location too

Yeah and they’ve got plans for more buildings I think. It’s a shame that they didn’t build it on Vaux. Understand that they spent a fortune on the building, something that wouldn’t have been viable on a spec office, but they did it as they need to retain and recruit staff. Understand all food, coffee and gym is free!

yeah the car parks not the main point. the new tombola building is really good as well, ive seen inside. pretty good location too
Makes no difference about retail space mate. If the punters were there companies would invest. Don’t get me wrong I like the idea of the beam and it’s a good start on the face of it but it’s a big investment for 300 jobs to be honest. Not saying I have the answers mind.

Wear view house? I thought that was just a general benefit/dwp place.
Do you know anything about penshaw training? I was working opposite them the other day and it looks like a place where the dole send people on courses judging by the people going in and out.
Do you like the look of the horizon building?

might just be benefits actually, my sis worked there for PIP stuff. all i know about Penshaw View is just what I read on the echo page on facebook. is the horizon building the town hall? (as they're calling it)
Understand all food, coffee and gym is free!

thats mint!

Yeah and they’ve got plans for more buildings I think. It’s a shame that they didn’t build it on Vaux. Understand that they spent a fortune on the building, something that wouldn’t have been viable on a spec office, but they did it as they need to retain and recruit staff. Understand all food, coffee and gym is free!

Is that angel house at the bottom of Sunnisde? Isn’t it just going to another dss house?

Fear it will be another echo 24 but poorer. Looks like the building in Gateshead next to the fly over on Sunderland rd.

might just be benefits actually, my sis worked there for PIP stuff. all i know about Penshaw View is just what I read on the echo page on facebook. is the horizon building the town hall? (as they're calling it)
No it’s the old dole office block on borough rd, one bed room apartments for students. Looks good. Private investment I think.

Ok, clearly there is no reasoning with you and you have completely unrealistic expectations. Comparing us to two (Nottingham and Newcastle) of the uk’s identified 10 core cities is just not a fair comparison.

Out of interest are you involved in property development? Construction industry? Or regeneration?
Our pop is similiar to both Nottingham and Newcastle.Unrealistic expectations ??? 😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆
Unrealistic for the Vaux site to be developed by the Labour council when it came on the market waiting almost 20 years
Unrealistic for Sheepfolds sporting village first proposed in early 2000s by the said council.
Unrealistic to expect a proper and adequate railway station befitting of a supposrdly 21st century so called city
Unrealistic to expect a metro line connection with parity with Newcastle (tyne AND WEAR) serving outlying areas Washington,Houghton,Doxford Park.
Unrealistic to expect something visionary and capable of drawing people into town on what currently is the civic centre site instead of the proposed housing expected.
Unrealistic to see Seaburn be a top seafront leisure and recreatuon resort si.iliar to what it was befire rather than Seaburn housing estate which are the said councils main plans.
Unrealistic to have a council and mp s capable of securing the neccessary funding for the road bridge crossing (northern spire) which should have been built at least 20 years ago.1976 was the year when roadbridge crossing there was first envisaged.40years ago 🤔
I could go on....

People like you and fellow stick in the mud,blinkered posters must be easily pleased and still have a town mentality.You fail to recognise the many past mistakes and self serving amateurs who have masqueraded as Labour councillirs over many many years and who are chiefly respinsible for the hollow city we live in brought about by their small time thinking delivery on projects,watering down of end results of any ambitious projects from original artists impressions plans and putting the Labour council/party before the city they are supposed to serve.I can reason that some are easily pleased and sadly have low aspIrations for their home town/ city.I am glad I am not one of them but am like others who belueve Sunderland deserves far better than what it has recieved over the last 25 years from the ruling Labour councillors and Labour mp s .

Last edited by a moderator:
Our pop is similiar to both Nottingham and Newcastle.Unrealistic expectations ??? 😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆
Unrealistic for the Vaux site to be developed by the Labour council when it came on the market waiting almost 20 years
Unrealistic for Sheepfolds sporting village first proposed in early 2000s by the said council.
Unrealistic to expect a proper and adequate railway station befitting of a supposrdly 21st century so called city
Unrealistic to expect a metro line connection with parity with Newcastle (tyne AND WEAR) serving outlying areas Washington,Houghton,Doxford Park.
Unrealistic to expect something visionary and capable of drawing people into town on what currently is the civic centre site instead of the proposed housing expected.
Unrealistic to see Seaburn be a top seafront leisure and recreatuon resort si.iliar to what it was befire rather than Seaburn housing estate which are the said councils main plans.
Unrealistic to have a council and mp s capable of securing the neccessary funding for the road bridge crossing (northern spire) which should have been built at least 20 years ago.1976 was the year when roadbridge crossing there was first envisaged.40years ago 🤔
I could go on....

People like you and fellow stick in the mud,blinkered posters must be easily pleased and still have a town mentality.You fail to recognise the many past mistakes and self serving amateurs who have masqueraded as Labour councillirs over many many years and who are chiefly respinsible for the hollow city we live in brought about by their small time thinking delivery on projects,watering down of end results of any ambitious projects from original artists impressions plans and putting the Labour council/party before the city they are supposed to serve.I can reason that some are easily pleased and have low aspurations for their home town/ city.I am glad I am not one of them but am like others who belueve Sunderland deserves far better than what it has recieved over the last 25 years from the ruling Labour councillors and Labour mp s .
The sea front is loads better than it was 2o year ago man.

The sea front is loads better than it was 2o year ago man.
That maybe but most are supetficial improvements .Still a long way to go to what it could and should be.If Newcastle,Gateshead or Durham councils had that seafront its potential would have been realised to the max by now one way or another like it was in the 50s and 60s.Such a superb natural coastline city asset a shadow of what it was and what it could and should be.
You stink of SFT though
Yeah the people who want to make Sunderland a better place than the thitd rate city it is.The stink is from the likes of you who accept the current status quo of underachievement and mediocrity.

That maybe but most are supetficial improvements .Still a long way to go to what it could and should be.If Newcastle,Gateshead or Durham councils had that seafront its potential would have been realised to the max by now one way or another like it was in the 50s and 60s.Such a superb natural coastline city asset a shadow of what it was and what it could and should be.
Affordable holidays abroad mate. Blackpool is finished Great Yarmouth is finished. Leisure is finished to be fair (pardon the pun). The seafront became a mess because of holidays abroad no other reason. Aye the council have not invested but what could they do. Build a fun fair for it not to be used like the last one, build a leisure centre for it not to be used like the last two? The coast is mainly used for recreation now and thats across the whole country. Roker, the marina, along the harbour view, the cat and dogs, the hotel, the park, sea road, and seaburn itself is in the best nick it’s ever been in. Once the stack and new hotel go up it will be serving a purpose for the first time in decades.

You stink of SFT though
Yeah the people who want to make Sunderland a better place than the thitd rate city it is.The stink is from the likes of you who accept the current status quo of underachievement and mediocrity.
My counter to that is if Newcastle is successful then demand and rental prices increase, this then means Sunderland becomes more attractive from a business perspective as a business could save 10’s or 100’s of thousands of pounds per year and over a course of a lease term (5-15 years) becomes a considerable sum. If Sunderland was competitive with Newcastle and say at the same rental tone as Newcastle then a business is most likely to locate themselves in Newcastle from both a minimum a recruitment and transport link perceptive.

If all towns or cities in the region become popular then it means that we can compete on a regional level with other areas such as Leeds and Manchester. Even Newcastle is quite a bit behind these cities.
Sunderlands problem is not competing with Newcastle and allowing investment coming into the NE go there while Sunderland gets the crumbs.Past Labour councils and mp s here have allowed this to happen with the rail stations and metro lines being two of many examples.Sunderland has been voice less let down badly by 3 mp s. for ages.

I could go on....

People like you and fellow stick in the mud,blinkered posters must be easily pleased and still have a town mentality.You fail to recognise the many past mistakes and self serving amateurs who have masqueraded as Labour councillirs over many many years and who are chiefly respinsible for the hollow city we live in brought about by their small time thinking delivery on projects,watering down of end results of any ambitious projects from original artists impressions plans and putting the Labour council/party before the city they are supposed to serve.I can reason that some are easily pleased and have low aspurations for their home town/ city.I am glad I am not one of them but am like others who belueve Sunderland deserves far better than what it has recieved over the last 25 years from the ruling Labour councillors and Labour mp s .

I believe the city does deserve better so your assertions are wrong. I think where we differ is our expectations.

For instance take your remark about our populations being the same as both Newcastle and Nottingham, which I accept is correct and for a long time Sunderland was higher than Newcastle’s in fact, however you don’t accept or reason that both of the cities mentioned are in their respective regions the main areas of commerce and probably have been for centuries and have had investment of significantly more scale than Sunderland in that time.

Regarding your comment about Vaux - this debate has been had. You as well as I don’t know that the council were able to acquire the land, but on the face of it yes you could assert that they should have bought it 20 years ago. If they chose not to then I agree with you it was a shambles however if they could not they were a hostage to fortune to an enormously wealthy international retailer (the uks biggest).

The train station as far as I am aware is owned and ran by network rail and not the council. I agree it is a shambles however I am not sure what
You are talking about it terms of a railway station befitting a 21 century city. What does that mean? As far as I am aware we have been trying to get funding for a new railway station for the last 10-15 years.

Sheepfolds as far as I am aware they’ve delivered a pool, a football centre and a hotel. There is a proposals for new residential but again much of the site they do not own? Yes ideally it would and it should have been developed out.

As for the metro line I am firm believer that we should have a comprehensive light rail system and that the current system is inadequate. Again where we differ is that you put that blame squarely on the council whereas I am not aware that it was the council who has control of where the metro operates and is or was constructed.

As for the bridge, yes it probably was first muted then but is it the local councils fault that it didn’t get the funding when it wanted it or is it central governments fault?

Seaburn - well the people of seaburn have got exactly wanted they wanted, absolutely nothing. The council shouldn’t have bothered knocking down the seaburn centre just to keep them content. No doubt you are one of those who wish for the fair to return and have a leisure centre on the sea front and no further development.

Finally can you tell me what was better 25 plus years ago that the council did to what they are doing now? I take people as they come and not on the basis of what has gone on historically, grow up.

You can only under achieve by setting your sights too high.

Last edited:
Affordable holidays abroad mate. Blackpool is finished Great Yarmouth is finished. Leisure is finished to be fair (pardon the pun). The seafront became a mess because of holidays abroad no other reason. Aye the council have not invested but what could they do. Build a fun fair for it not to be used like the last one, build a leisure centre for it not to be used like the last two? The coast is mainly used for recreation now and thats across the whole country. Roker, the marina, along the harbour view, the cat and dogs, the hotel, the park, sea road, and seaburn itself is in the best nick it’s ever been in. Once the stack and new hotel go up it will be serving a purpose for the first time in decades.
So Shields seafront thriving and booming now with all weather facilities built last few years.

Sunderlands problem is not competing with Newcastle and allowing investment coming into the NE go there while Sunderland gets the crumbs.Past Labour councils and mp s here have allowed this to happen with the rail stations and metro lines being two of many example.Sunderland has been voice less let down badly by 3 mp s. for ages.

Do you honestly think it’s the politicians who dictate where and how business comes into the various cities?

Most property transactions don’t even cross the politicians nose, other than when there is a press opportunity. The only time private business speaks to the council is when they are after money! Yeah

Stop lying Ljen. You havent given any alternatives at all. Im still waiting. Ive asked about 10 times now & just avoiding the issue cos you cant answer.

And stating Newcastle's catchment area is bigger isnt an excuse. Its a blatant fact. Its actually an excuse on your part for not answering questions

So stop making excuses for Newcastle you gravy stained mag

He runs a chip down Roker after his burger venture failed due to online abuse of customers
Its a waste of time you just cant take it in.Im not Len L.so stop showing yourself up and Im not a mag just check my usernane out.You just cant grasp it.Ive fully explained everything maybe you are lacking one or two brain cells to take it in.

So Shields seafront thriving and booming now with all weather facilities built last few years.

So you want a leisure pool and an indoor soft play? I honestly don’t get this concept of going to the beach, realising it’s raining then going into a swimming pool! More so is that we’ve got swimming pools within spitting distance of the sea front anyway, granted not a leisure pool.

I can understand it if our city centre was built on the coast Pretty much like south and north Tyneside but sadly it is not.

Back