Vaux site.....

Obviously we can only wait and see with this. They pledged that work would be undergoing on a hotel in Keel Square by the end of 2018, tumbleweed followed.

What’s happened with the idea of the council moving from the civic centre in to the office block on the site?
How long was the fire station unused for? When will the gig venue next to it be finished?

What’s happened with the idea of the council moving from the civic centre in to the office block on the site?
How long was the fire station unused for? When will the gig venue next to it be finished?
Tenders are out for Vaux 2, we are quoting for the joinery work.

Is it true the Eye Hospital wants to move to the Vaux site and cash in the land of the present property just to stay solvent?

The current building on the site (the Beam) is a managed workspace for private business, the council moving into a new separate building.

Bidding starts for £50m City Hall at Sunderland Vaux site | Construction Enquirer

Fire station must have been shut 20 years if not longer. Auditorium being built by the MAC Trust.

This appears to be the latest news report on it.

Work starts on Flanagan Lawrence’s Sunderland venue

Only reason for delay could be if construction cost is too high or funding issues?

Are you talking about the one thats just been built?
As that was never on the cards. It was only ever mooted by folk who constantly slate the council for every little thing.

The new civic building is starting in the autumn apparently.

Is it true the Eye Hospital wants to move to the Vaux site and cash in the land of the present property just to stay solvent?

Not sure if that’s true but would make sense to relocating into the city centre from a public access point of view. Also presumably the land will have a relative premium within Sunderland albeit their will be the cost to demolish the site.

The current building on the site (the Beam) is a managed workspace for private business, the council moving into a new separate building.

Bidding starts for £50m City Hall at Sunderland Vaux site | Construction Enquirer

Fire station must have been shut 20 years if not longer. Auditorium being built by the MAC Trust.

This appears to be the latest news report on it.

Work starts on Flanagan Lawrence’s Sunderland venue

Only reason for delay could be if construction cost is too high or funding issues?[/QUOTE]
You know about Sunderland Council aye?

I was talking to someone from EDF the other week, not a senior member of staff but someone ITK and he reckons they’re supposed to be moving down there.

I know people who work there but can’t say I’m in the know at all or that they are involved in these projects directly, just that I thought the funding and planning had been secured and that the contractor had been appointed for the auditorium.

That being the case I can only think that construction costs (revised tender price, inflation or an unknown cost) has caused them to delay or alternatively funding agreements hadn’t been completed. Had involvement in them sorts of things in the past and often they announce that funding has been secured but then a funding agreement then needs to negotiated and completed which can often take time depending on where the funding is coming from.

As for EDF not heard them relocating to Vaux, but again would make sense from a city centre regen perspective.

it would make sense , the hospital has a sprawling layout and could be housed in a much smaller footprint, the land would be worth a fortune for houses due to its location

I know people who work there but can’t say I’m in the know at all or that they are involved in these projects directly, just that I thought the funding and planning had been secured and that the contractor had been appointed for the auditorium.

That being the case I can only think that construction costs (revised tender price, inflation or an unknown cost) has caused them to delay or alternatively funding agreements hadn’t been completed. Had involvement in them sorts of things in the past and often they announce that funding has been secured but then a funding agreement then needs to negotiated and completed which can often take time depending on where the funding is coming from.

As for EDF not heard them relocating to Vaux, but again would make sense from a city centre regen perspective.
EDF Energy? Where did that rumour come from? Be great moving them there. But suspect they would be after £££ for doing it.

The auditorium is a MAC Trust project anyway. The only council involvement will be maybe providing a bit of funding & approving planning permission.

It may be down to the new acres road being built needs to be completed.

The place being full of 3000 employees. guess where a good number of them will be from.

the council is all talk and no action

Imagine how furious some people are going to be when the site starts filling up.
filling up, with a new civic centre.

I asked you about 2 years ago, perhaps longer, how many buildings had outline planning permission for the Vaux site. You said you didn't know and would find out and get back. you never did. months later council announce civic centre falling to bits. months later guess what. All we ask is that the council be honest with us instead of thinking they can fool us all the time.

The place being full of 3000 employees. guess where a good number of them will be from.

the council is all talk and no action

Yes thats a bit of political spin, but it does only say 3,000 in next few years. It takes a couple of years to knock a building up so in next few years there'll be the BEAM building & the new public sector hub. So it stands to reason the vast majority of those will just be relocated council jobs. Building 3 or 4 could be in construction.

filling up, with a new civic centre.

I asked you about 2 years ago, perhaps longer, how many buildings had outline planning permission for the Vaux site. You said you didn't know and would find out and get back. you never did. months later council announce civic centre falling to bits. months later guess what. All we ask is that the council be honest with us instead of thinking they can fool us all the time.

The outline plans were released yonks ago. Think there were about 18 buildings in total to be built over next 20 years.

Last edited:

Back