Vaux Site - Building Work Stops

It's not my opinion or my thoughts people really are cynical when it comes to sunderland. Talking to friends and relatives, reading the echo and this board among other things makes you realise that.
A lad I'll be drinking with tonight moved out of Sunderland a few years back and hates the council with a vengeance. He's always slating the council, the shopping area and the lack of decent places to eat and drink in the centre. I'm pretty defensive of Sunderland and it's people so we tend to get into arguments when the subject comes up.
He goes to Newcastle and the metro centre a lot, prefers them to anything here. What he doesn't realise is he is part of the problem of why Sunderland isn't one of the better cities in England. I point out that there is a lot of unemployment and low pay in the city which means the council won't take in as much council tax revenue as more affluent areas. That shackles them a lot but he doesn't agree. He's actually a sub contractor on the vaux site, he's working on that new office block, or rather he was. It should be interesting to hear his opinion later tonight.:)
Tell him he’s as thick as whale spunk then if he doesn’t realise he’s to blame.

A lot of criticism is driven by ignorance of not understanding how local government works, and believing certain people (Len) who go looking for stuff, then finding what they want to find.

This isnt directed at anyone on here but a general observation of both here & echo over the years. Look at the amount of people who believe;

The council set rent & rates for city centre shops
Think the council fund the fire & police (because of the precept on the bill)
Think most of the income comes from council tax (not understanding why services drop & tax goes up. Tax accounts for about 15%)
Dont understand exactly what a councillor is, often referring to CEO & directors as councillors then thinking they get paid more than MP's
Durham's council is better cos the Normans built a cathedral or Newcastle's is better cos they got city status during the industrial revolution.
Etc, etc

These are things i've had arguments about over the years, and they still crop up time to time.
And liars you hate liars.

New
Julie Elliott just been on local news saying she expects work to restart within a few days

Jan 15, 2018Report
LikeReply
Boris Bear likes this.

Remember this @Boris Bear @Le Chuck
You two hate liars don't yas.
Get her told will yas.

Last edited:
She doesn't help herself mind, surely a better way would be to say the council and siglion are working as fast as they can to ensure the site is up as soon as possible.
Now the silly bint has put a timescale on it of a few days, so that'll be less than a weeks time then. Gonna look quite the twat if it doesn't come to fruition:rolleyes:

A lot of criticism is driven by ignorance of not understanding how local government works, and believing certain people (Len) who go looking for stuff, then finding what they want to find.

This isnt directed at anyone on here but a general observation of both here & echo over the years. Look at the amount of people who believe;

The council set rent & rates for city centre shops
Think the council fund the fire & police (because of the precept on the bill)
Think most of the income comes from council tax (not understanding why services drop & tax goes up. Tax accounts for about 15%)
Dont understand exactly what a councillor is, often referring to CEO & directors as councillors then thinking they get paid more than MP's
Durham's council is better cos the Normans built a cathedral or Newcastle's is better cos they got city status during the industrial revolution.
Etc, etc

These are things i've had arguments about over the years, and they still crop up time to time.

Don't forget "the brown envelope back handers" that the dense fuckers always bring up.

She doesn't help herself mind, surely a better way would be to say the council and siglion are working as fast as they can to ensure the site is up as soon as possible.
Now the silly bint has put a timescale on it of a few days, so that'll be less than a weeks time then. Gonna look quite the twat if it doesn't come to fruition:rolleyes:
She said it a week ago.

Julie Elliott is thick as a whale omelette marra
Work started again in Birmingham!
Hopefully that's the start of the site embargos being lifted?

Last edited:
She said it a week ago.

Work started again in Birmingham!
Hopefully that's the start of the site embargos being lifted?
We can’t get into prisons to do work yet. No H&S or insurance in place yet. Hoping to have the new PSV set up by the end of the month.

We can’t get into prisons to do work yet. No H&S or insurance in place yet. Hoping to have the new PSV set up by the end of the month.
One the lads last night mentioned all the work carried out so far will have to be surveyed and signed of again as the carillion paperwork will be void. Do you think this rings true.

One the lads last night mentioned all the work carried out so far will have to be surveyed and signed of again as the carillion paperwork will be void. Do you think this rings true.
I think with new build stuff there’ll have been sign offs at different stages in the build so would say no tbh.

It's actually opus but I couldn't get a bite off boris or le chuck. I've heard they doing the leccy not sure about the inside fitting.
Vaughan’s we’re doing the internal Electrical package. Don’t think a replacement main contractor has been appointed yet so why would a subby ie Opus have been appointed?

Back