Vaux Site - Building Work Stops

Jimmer13

Midfield
Work on the first building on the Vaux site has "ceased with immediate effect" after construction giant Carillion went into liquidation.
Sunderland City Council and the construction company formed the Siglion partnership in 2014 to press forward with regeneration plans across the city, including the former brewery site in the city centre.

Uncertainty now faces those proposals and others across Wearside after Carillion's collapse under £1.5 billion worth of debt.

A statement released by the council this afternoon said: "The council has been notified by Carillion’s liquidator that building work on Vaux Phase One has ceased with immediate effect.

"The council is in discussions with Carillion and liquidators PricewaterhouseCoopers regarding next steps and to ensure that work is resumed and the Phase One building is delivered as soon as possible."

It follows a series of set backs for the site following the closure of the brewery in 1999.

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/

Don't understand the link between the two.

The demolition of the town hall was by a Conservative led council decades ago. I don't see how that relates to the financial collapse of Carillion, something Sunderland Council weren't responsible for.

Conservative ? I looked up when Sunderland was last Tory controlled and I think it was the fifties though I will of course yield to your greater knowledge. My point is that councils are generally clueless.

Conservative ? I looked up when Sunderland was last Tory controlled and I think it was the fifties though I will of course yield to your greater knowledge. My point is that councils are generally clueless.
Was definitely a Tory council that done for the town hall.

Siglion was set up as a joint venture way before any alarm bells were ringing about their performance. They were a huge organisation FFS.They were down as the principal contractor for HS 2 . SCC Couldn't have foreseen what was to happen.

Siglion was set up as a joint venture way before any alarm bells were ringing about their performance. They were a huge organisation FFS.They were down as the principal contractor for HS 2 . SCC Couldn't have foreseen what was to happen.

Ssssshhh with your facts, it'll do you no good on this thread, not when there's a chance to slag off the council for things out of their control.

Back