Vaux site……

There’s hasn’t been a thread on for a while so hey presto…….

the new civic centre seems to be coming along nicely……..

they need to attract more businesses commercial buildings/office buildings imho.
I think them building homes on it is a waste of prime land. Once people have homes it curtails future growth. Leave the homes to the periphery of the city and bring commerce into the centre. That way it supports other businesses
I agree, once the civic and eye hospital are up, as good as they will be, how much space will realistically be left for commercial after ocado?

there's a new multistory car park going down there aswell somewhere

I agree, once the civic and eye hospital are up, as good as they will be, how much space will realistically be left for commercial after ocado?

there's a new multistory car park going down there aswell somewhere
Well I think they’re wasting the limited land remaining on the vaux site for use for houses, essentially capping the full potential of the “business district”. There’s plenty of land around the centre, riverside etc that could be used instead. The vaux site should be 100% commercial

Last edited:
Well I think they’re wasting the limited land remaining on the vaux site for use for houses, essentially capping the full potential of the “business district”. There’s plenty of land around the centre, riverside etc that could be used instead. The vaux site should be 100% commercial
to be fair, if it was a different riverside development in a different city it would have been. fast forward to 2025 and im sure the area will be in great shape and all deffo better than a giant tesco. High street west will at least be reborn

to be fair, if it was a different riverside development in a different city it would have been. fast forward to 2025 and im sure the area will be in great shape and all deffo better than a giant tesco. High street west will at least be reborn
Exactly, the decision to deny tesco on the site was entirely right. The city hall, the bream building and eye hospital are developing that part of the centre. I’m not sure those maisonette houses are these use of the land in between though. Maybe the development of the site is enough now to appease any critics so they can wait and attract other developments in between rather than building houses

Legal & General are building 2 office blocks on there as well.

There’s hasn’t been a thread on for a while so hey presto…….

the new civic centre seems to be coming along nicely……..

they need to attract more businesses commercial buildings/office buildings imho.
I think them building homes on it is a waste of prime land. Once people have homes it curtails future growth. Leave the homes to the periphery of the city and bring commerce into the centre. That way it supports other businesses
The new eye infirmary is going on the sight 😀😃

Then make fuck knows how much selling the old eye infirmary land to wimpey or whoever...

The saga of the Eye Infirmary has been going on for years - it was rumoured that Ken Bremner, the South Tyneside & Sunderland Trust (called this instead of Sunderland & South Tyneside as a sop) CEO was hawking it around as he was doing the governments dirty work in closing and downgrading units at Harton Hospital in Shields.
There are also rumours that the current QA Road site has expensive asbestos issues.

Moving to a site close to the metro/train/bus stations makes a hell of a lot of sense and it will have a much smaller footprint building upwards and sharing car-parking.

Exactly, the decision to deny tesco on the site was entirely right. The city hall, the bream building and eye hospital are developing that part of the centre. I’m not sure those maisonette houses are these use of the land in between though. Maybe the development of the site is enough now to appease any critics so they can wait and attract other developments in between rather than building houses
Always been something a bit fishy about that building.

They've struggled to attract investment in building just offices on that site but they have got investment from L&G for mixed use. Maybe tells you where the demand is.

Back