Vaux - it'll never happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there anywhere other than London that has new build tall office blocks? Doesn't really make any sense unless land is at a premium.

I used to work on the 10th floor of an office block and it was canny depressing really. A great view of rooftops over to Portsdown Hill but you never really saw anything else when you were sat at your desk all day.
No there's not. Would look daft

Is there anywhere other than London that has new build tall office blocks? Doesn't really make any sense unless land is at a premium.

I used to work on the 10th floor of an office block and it was canny depressing really. A great view of rooftops over to Portsdown Hill but you never really saw anything else when you were sat at your desk all day.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.ma...ity-centre-development-buildings-11139392.amp

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bi...pree-transform-birmingham-skyline-9395882.amp

Last edited:
Owned by Tesco for most of those years though.
Only just!

Tesco bought the land two years after vaux was demolished. Held it for a decade. The council bought it 7 years ago

We aren't exactly talking speedy work here are we.

I work on the 9th floor of an office block on the quayside in newcastle. They're building more 30 seconds walk away.

Only just!

Tesco bought the land two years after vaux was demolished. Held it for a decade. The council bought it 7 years ago

I work on the 9th floor of an office block on the quayside in newcastle. They're building more 30 seconds walk away.
Exactly

Ha ha :lol:
Trying to have some constructive dialogue and you bring out this sh£te. Pathetic
By the same reasoning of buildings smaller equates to cheaper, then why not build it a single storey building? Why not build it with limited potential? That way it would be cheaper? In fact, don't do anything at all and grass it over. That would be cheaper still?

My point is the site's potential should be maximised.

Double Maxim comes to mind. :D

Some people would be pleased for nothing to be happening instead :lol:

It's long overdue, let's embrace it and look forwards to a better future for Sunderland City Centre. The Vaux/Keel Square combination is top notch, we will see this isolated area of the town become a hub of life and activity.

:lol:

Only just!

18 years since Vaux shut and we've finally got a few bits on Meccano to show for it. Yet look of the pace of change in Durham. The Milburngate shopping centre has already demolished inside a few months and the steel structure for the new development is already in place. The old passport office and National Savings buildings are also being flattened. Bars like a Pitcher & Piano, various restaurants and TWO cinema complexes have been agreed for the sites and should be open by 2019 with luxury apartments complementing the developments.

Durham appears to be finding private investment with relative ease compared to Sunderland. Why is that?

18 years since Vaux shut and we've finally got a few bits on Meccano to show for it. Yet look of the pace of change in Durham. The Milburngate shopping centre has already demolished inside a few months and the steel structure for the new development is already in place. The old passport office and National Savings buildings are also being flattened. Bars like a Pitcher & Piano, various restaurants and TWO cinema complexes have been agreed for the sites and should be open by 2019 with luxury apartments complementing the developments.

Durham appears to be finding private investment with relative ease compared to Sunderland. Why is that?

Because it's rammed with plenty of wealthy students and is a world heritage site?

Great news? Mediocre at best.....look I love Sunderland and want the best for it. Please remember the people of Sunderland won't be hoodwinked into thinking a modest office development will make up for all the years of ineptitude in this underwhelming development.
I think you're vastly underestimating the impact office developments could have on our city centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back