Vaux Beer

I though S & N was better. Rumour has it that Vaux piped their water from the Wear.

Very much doubt that but most of the time these days water source isn’t terribly important as brewers will alter its mineral balance before mashing in anyway, dependent on beer style.

E.g most brewers making a traditional pale ale will ‘burtonify’ the water.

[QUOTE="Paddy O'Dors, post: 29169512, member: Lorimers?

I saw Lorimers Scotch on a bar in Edinburgh long after Vaux had closed. I don't know who was brewing it but it tasted pretty much as I remembered, ie decent enough but not a patch on a well kept/served pint of tank McEwans Scotch.[/QUOTE]

could it have been Wards? Sure they were part of the Vaux group but continued independently( or a meringue)

Honestly don't care what name they use. If the beers good I'll buy it. If it's bland shite I won't, regardless of what name they use and the fact they're from Sunderland. Most Vaux beer I remember was canny shite anyway.
Weren't you a lager drink during the Vaux days? If so I can't really take your views on ales/beers from that period seriously.

Waggledance? It was brewed by Vaux in the 90's. Then Young's picked it up after Vaux & then passed onto Wells

Wells have now been bought out by Marstons I think.

Does anyone else think the microbrewery thing must have about peaked? Seems to be more and more of them and less and less pubs that are free to buy the ale

Reviving the Vaux name while the main brands are brewed well enough by Maxim is a strange move.

I wouldn't be surprised if these lot go down the brightly coloured 330ml cans of steong cloudy ales route that seems to be so popular at the moment.

Weren't you a lager drink during the Vaux days? If so I can't really take your views on ales/beers from that period seriously.

I was mainly. Lager, snakebite, occasionally scotch/Stones or Guinness I actually preferred snakebite in Vaux pubs as S&N sold Woodpecker, horrible stuff.

Similarly I can't take your opinion seriously on beer either as you rave over anything Maxim produce, no matter how bland.

I wouldn't be surprised if these lot go down the brightly coloured 330ml cans of steong cloudy ales route that seems to be so popular at the moment.

That's what I'm expecting.

Last edited:
I was mainly. Lager, snakebite, occasionally scotch/Stones or Guinness I actually preferred snakebite in Vaux pubs as S&N sold Woodpecker, horrible stuff.

Similarly I can't take your opinion seriously on beer either as you rave over anything Maxim produce, no matter how bland.

That's what I'm expecting.
As you said on here before you drank lager ironically the most bland drink of them all!

Last edited:
Of course they did, cos beer is best made with salt water and the human body really enjoys ingesting it too...

Vaux beers were far superior to the chemical shite turned out by S&N.
Not true - out of all of the mass market beers they both produced, Exhibition was the best. McEwans Scotch was slightly better than Loriners. Both were f***ing rancid, watery piss.

Back