Vaux Beer

I think Sunderland university have a brewing course

Yes, I believe Brewlab are more or less the sole teachers of the course there. They’re pretty well regarded nationally/internationally.

I was involved in a project to revive heritage barley varieties and we had Brewlab do the initial testing on the subsequent malt.

Good luck to them although why anyone would use the Vaux name is beyond me (tin hat firmly on!).

Nostalgia.

Although I’m glad they haven’t used the name I’d use if my pipe dream of starting a craft brewery in Sunderland ever comes to fruition so that’s good.

Last edited:

Yes, I believe Brewlab are more or less the sole teachers of the course there. They’re pretty well regarded nationally/internationally.

I was involved in a project to revive heritage barley varieties and we had Brewlab do the initial testing on the subsequent malt.

Nostalgia.

Although I’m glad they haven’t used the name I’d use if my pipe dream of starting a craft brewery in Sunderland ever comes to fruition so that’s good.
We had a news article down here recently about the last malt barley produced in Devon as the firms stopped trading

It was mentioned that a few micro breweries had shown an interest in gillbridge. Could these be one of them?

Honestly, I’d be more behind a new Sunderland brewery if they hadn’t called it Vaux. Maxim already have the main brands and these new lads weren’t even 18 when Vaux shut.

Make some good beer and il buy it but it just seems like they are exploiting the old name to cash in, I see no tangible heritage links or credibility, it’s just a marketing project. It’s up there with Marty and his shipyards for me. Sorry.

Very sad time when the brewery shut down.
The Brewery Tap used to be a great boozer , and if you ever got into The Golden Tankard inside the place............
What a state you could get in :lol:

Honestly don't care what name they use. If the beers good I'll buy it. If it's bland shite I won't, regardless of what name they use and the fact they're from Sunderland. Most Vaux beer I remember was canny shite anyway.

Seeing that all the old popular Vaux names are now brewed by someone else, and the others nobody really remembers unless they are about 80, what names would people suggest?

Alreet Marra Ale? Stottin' Stout?

[QUOTE="Paddy O'Dors, post: 29169512, member: Lorimers?[/QUOTE]

I saw Lorimers Scotch on a bar in Edinburgh long after Vaux had closed. I don't know who was brewing it but it tasted pretty much as I remembered, ie decent enough but not a patch on a well kept/served pint of tank McEwans Scotch.

Back