Vaughan Oliver - RIP

I m not sure if anyone on here is aware of this but Vaughan was from Newton Aycliffe. He was an outstanding footballer (centre half) who I pLayed alongside (at Ferryhill Grammar) and against (Vane Road juniors Aycliffe). He played for Durham County schools and if I recall correctly was in the Ferryhill team that won the county cup.
Not just a great graphic artist

Very sad news

I m not sure if anyone on here is aware of this but Vaughan was from Newton Aycliffe. He was an outstanding footballer (centre half) who I pLayed alongside (at Ferryhill Grammar) and against (Vane Road juniors Aycliffe). He played for Durham County schools and if I recall correctly was in the Ferryhill team that won the county cup.
Not just a great graphic artist

Very sad news
Thought I recognised the name. You're right he was a tall long haired haired lad if I remember right. Think he was a couple of years below me so never played in the same side as him but when the school teams played away he would have travelled on the same bus as us. He would be in the same year and team as Stan Cummins. Very sad news indeed RIP Vaughan.

I m not sure if anyone on here knows ‘‘tis but Vaughan was from newt
Thought I recognised the name. You're right he was a tall long haired haired lad if I remember right. Think he was a couple of years below me so never played in the same side as him but when the school teams played away he would have travelled on the same bus as us. He would be in the same year and team as Stan Cummins. Very sad news indeed RIP Vaughan.
Vaughan was a year ahead of Stan but Stan played a year up ( not surprisingly)

I m not sure if anyone on here knows ‘‘tis but Vaughan was from newt

Vaughan was a year ahead of Stan but Stan played a year up ( not surprisingly)
Stan was tiny but brilliant even at that age and he scored a hatful of goals. Nobody could get nesr him.

Pixies are my fav all time band,along with early punk bands like the Ramones and the Pistols.Seen Pixies about 30 times now. In 2018 at the Roundhouse in London to play the whole of Surfer Rosa, there was a 30min movie about Vaughn Olivers work on their behalf. Vaughn did the voice over for it. Never realised til my mate from Leeds who drummed for the Pale Saints, mentioned that he was a Mackem.

Last edited:
Some great tributes on this thread. Peace be with Vaughan, his family, friends & many admirers of his work.
Here's a link that might interest some:

I love this bit (on working on Pixies' album covers):

"Their lyrics are packed with strange and wonderful imagery and their music delivers all on a visceral salver.”

Last edited:

Back