VAR

We could have a ball hitting the arm of a winger, not deliberate etc, the winger crosses the ball to another attacker who provides a pass to a third attacker who scores, would this goal stand or be disallowed?
What a clusterfuck.
It's all about determining whether the happened in the same phase of play. There is an incident from last season that the PL use to explain this. I think it was liverpool vs Southampton maybe. There was an offside in the build up to a liverpool goal, but the goal still would have stood if VAR was in operation as the officials determined that Southampton had sufficient opportunity to regain possession of the ball but failed to do so. They have put this in place to stop the referee from having to go back 5 minutes to determine if there was an offense, but when the first incident like the FA cited for last season happens this season and the goal stands, I can already anticipate the shitshow from fans and media who haven't the use of VAR properly explained to them.

What happens in reverse then? ie accidental handball by a defender-is that now a penalty??

No, although it's now deemed deliberate if a player's hands are above his head, or if he is deemed to be making his body area larger than normal. The intention is that the attacking team can't score a goal which results from a handball.

No, although it's now deemed deliberate if a player's hands are above his head, or if he is deemed to be making his body area larger than normal. The intention is that the attacking team can't score a goal which results from a handball.
Agree with the hands above the head or out from the body as a penalty but seems to me if you disallow a goal for accidental handball then in reverse if accidental handball prevents a goal then you should give a penalty. They are trying to simplify things by making them more complex.(and at the end of the day still down to opinion)

Agree with the hands above the head or out from the body as a penalty but seems to me if you disallow a goal for accidental handball then in reverse if accidental handball prevents a goal then you should give a penalty. They are trying to simplify things by making them more complex.(and at the end of the day still down to opinion)

That's the exception I forgot. Any handball which stops the ball going in the net is a penalty, accidental or not. Not sure if it's a red card for accidental - I'm not sure I'd go along with that,

That's the exception I forgot. Any handball which stops the ball going in the net is a penalty, accidental or not. Not sure if it's a red card for accidental - I'm not sure I'd go along with that,
Def. not. Never agreed with the penalty and sending off but as we know, some got away with it, others got punished twice, depending on who you are.

Don't like it at all to be honest. Hate the fact that a goal can be celebrated and then wiped off only for the other team to then start celebrating. Some of the offside decisions are ridiculously close. I'd rather it was used to see if the ball had crossed the goal line or for penalties. Beyond that we should all have to accept that we'd win some and lose some.
Absolutely this. It’s probably a multi million pound contract that sky have some involvement in

It need sorting as it can't be rolled out in this format. Yeah we all get frustrated when a dodgy offside goes against us but to stop the game and analyse it to a fraction of an inch is ridiculous
Worst of it is the sky pundits and the sky machine have turned it into another thing altogether and are clearly supporting it no matter what. And then shearer rolls out as the VAR ambassador or whatever he is - again all for it - it’s nonsense and doesn’t suit a game of football. Terrible idea - keep it to goal line technology and perhaps some tech running in the background which can be relayed to the ref for obvious penalties or red cards but not this parsnip we’ve got with VAR booths, VAR teams and a whole industry developing.

Worst of it is the sky pundits and the sky machine have turned it into another thing altogether and are clearly supporting it no matter what. And then shearer rolls out as the VAR ambassador or whatever he is - again all for it - it’s nonsense and doesn’t suit a game of football. Terrible idea - keep it to goal line technology and perhaps some tech running in the background which can be relayed to the ref for obvious penalties or red cards but not this parsnip we’ve got with VAR booths, VAR teams and a whole industry developing.
Yeah exactly. It's not football. And don't get me started on the linesman flagging 20 seconds after the incident lol. Penalties and goal line only. The rest of it as it was.

But what is a 'goal scoring opportunity '? How is it defined ? People can score from anywhere on the pitch, there endless examples of people scoring from their own half. Its f***ing bollocks the whole thing.

Complicating a game that is beautiful in its simplicity. For what ends I'm yet to work out. Something to do with marketability/tv audiences/creating drama/making money
Just read this but one of the best posts I’ve read on the topic.
If its completely unintentional? Yes I could and would accept that.
As it’s been for the past 100 years.

Any one who’s played football know that if the ball inadvertently hits your hand there’s nothing to be done about it.

Last edited:
Aye he says it from 11:43 here (you need to watch on youtube). In time maybe people will know that offside is a yes or now and not part of the clear and obvious.

But the point is we are using a fecking computer to tell us someone is 1mm offside. Technically they might be but a human being simply cannot know or control being that closely on or offside. It’s absolutely bonkers and not right for football. Fair enough goal line check (which is done pretty much straight away) and possibly some geezer with a tv screen who can tell the ref if he has made a big mistake (via his earphone) - everything else please turn it off as soon as possible and we can get back to talking about football.

But the point is we are using a fecking computer to tell us someone is 1mm offside. Technically they might be but a human being simply cannot know or control being that closely on or offside. It’s absolutely bonkers and not right for football. Fair enough goal line check (which is done pretty much straight away) and possibly some geezer with a tv screen who can tell the ref if he has made a big mistake (via his earphone) - everything else please turn it off as soon as possible and we can get back to talking about football.

exactly. cue someone saying '1mm offside is still offside though, if sunderland lost the FA cup final to a goal that was 1mm offisde would you still think blah blah f***ing blah'

theres even posts on here breaking video footage down to frame by frame, half a second shots, to decide when a ball first touches the foot to when it leaves the foot, and the movement of the players to a fraction of a second. i couldnt give a fuck if he is 1mm offside. just go off the linesmans flag. if the VAR check can't tell within the first 3 seconds, the first glance at the first replay, then its too close to call and should be left alone.

Back