VAR It starts tonight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deliberate doesn't come into it any longer.
The refs are briefed on what is deemed to be making the silhouette of the body unnaturally bigger.
For example, Sissoko in the CL final looked like he was trying to hail a cab. Intentional or not, his arm didn't need to be there.
The rules are clear but fans and soms pundits don't seem to want to familiarise themselves with it

In what way do you think it will it hinder it?

The usual. It's been covered a million times.

It's also pandering to cry babies who can't handle it when a wrong decision goes against them.

Last edited:

Deliberate doesn't come into it any longer.
The refs are briefed on what is deemed to be making the silhouette of the body unnaturally bigger.
For example, Sissoko in the CL final looked like he was trying to hail a cab. Intentional or not, his arm didn't need to be there.
The rules are clear but fans and soms pundits don't seem to want to familiarise themselves with it

In what way do you think it will it hinder it?
Have you got a link to say it being deliberate or not comes into it doesn’t matter? That’s genuinely the first time I’ve heard of that.

Players get penalised when they’re hands are down by their sides,too, in situations where it’s most natural to have them there. In those situations if their hands were up in the air or outstretched they’d also get penalised. Where do we draw the line? Strap their arms to their bodies with gaffer tape?

I understand the right decision will be made but the natural unbridled joy will be ruined.

Start celebrating... look over to ref and linesman..flag down. Ref points to centre. Absolute scenes. People on the pitch. We've done it. 30 seconds later the ref hears in his ear that goal is in question.

Goals have always been disallowed without fans or players realising it straight away. Only now the correct decision is reached.
There may be goals being disallowed more frequently, but then it's up to teams not to breach the rules in the build up. If a goal will be disallowed for a shove or a shirt pull then don't shove or pull a shirt and a goal isn't gonna disallowed.
Players will adapt.
Have you got a link to say it being deliberate or not comes into it doesn’t matter? That’s genuinely the first time I’ve heard of that.

Players get penalised when they’re hands are down by their sides,too, in situations where it’s most natural to have them there. In those situations if their hands were up in the air or outstretched they’d also get penalised. Where do we draw the line? Strap their arms to their bodies with gaffer tape?

The handball rule has also been re-written, but instead of explaining the changes, it’s better just to display the entire new rewritten rule. According to the newly written laws, the changes are:

Deliberate handball remains an offence.

The following ‘handball’ situations, even if accidental, will be a free kick:

The ball goes into the goal after touching an attacking player’s hand/arm

A player gains control/possession of the ball after it has touched their hand/arm and then scores, or creates a goal-scoring opportunity

The ball touches a player’s hand/arm which has made their body unnaturally bigger

The ball touches a player’s hand/arm when it is above their shoulder (unless the player has deliberately played the ball which then touches their hand/arm)

The following will not usually be a free kick, unless they are one of the above situations:

The ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from their own head/body/foot or the head/body/foot of another player who is close/near
The ball touches a player’s hand/arm which is close to their body and has not made their body unnaturally bigger

If a player is falling and the ball touches their hand/arm when it is between their body and the ground to support the body (but not extended to make the body bigger)

If the goalkeeper attempts to ‘clear’ (release into play) a throw-in or deliberate kick from a team-mate but the ‘clearance’ fails, the goalkeeper can then handle the ball

Last edited:
Goals have always been disallowed without fans or players realising it straight away. Only now the correct decision is reached.
There may be goals being disallowed more frequently, but then it's up to teams not to breach the rules in the build up. If a goal will be disallowed for a shove or a shirt pull then don't shove or pull a shirt and a goal isn't gonna disallowed.
Players will adapt.
I’d quite like to see it used for shirt pulling, but I’ve seen many games, particularly during the last World Cup where shirt pulling was rife and sod all was done about it, so I’m not holding my breath on that one.

I’d quite like to see it used for shirt pulling, but I’ve seen many games, particularly during the last World Cup where shirt pulling was rife and sod all was done about it, so I’m not holding my breath on that one.

Didn't England get 2 pens in one game from holding/pulling at corners?

Been looking forward to it, because I realise the technology needs repeated use to refine it down to something that works.

Yes!
they've been running it in private last season, it's been very sensibly trialled on the quiet for all games, and reckon they will improve the accuracy of 'big decisions'.

From an article I read recently.

VAR’s worth is being made clear in cold, hard numbers. Despite an 82% matchday accuracy last season when it came to “big calls” in the Premier League, it was found that if VAR had been in action there would have been 41 offside cases overturned — 31 of which happened when the scores were level or there was a one-goal difference.

Testing has found that the accuracy of referees improves from 84% to 87%, while assistant referee’s accuracy moves from 79% to 95%, with an average check time of 84 seconds.

The first PL game to have VAR and it's a Liverpool game.It will make the 10 o clock news if a decision goes against Klopps team.

Last edited:
I'm absolutely certain the powers that be would have made certain in there briefing to the refs that it is used to fuck over Sunderland football club even more than they do now (if that's possible) 😐

Yes!
they've been running it in private last season, it's been very sensibly trialled on the quiet for all games, and reckon they will improve the accuracy of 'big decisions'.

From an article I read recently.

VAR’s worth is being made clear in cold, hard numbers. Despite an 82% matchday accuracy last season when it came to “big calls” in the Premier League, it was found that if VAR had been in action there would have been 41 offside cases overturned — 31 of which happened when the scores were level or there was a one-goal difference.

Testing has found that the accuracy of referees improves from 84% to 87%, while assistant referee’s accuracy moves from 79% to 95%, with an average check time of 84 seconds.

Which is what it was invented for to get the big calls right, it's going to take time, but eventually just like goal line technology it will become normal, I also suspect after a year or two in the premer league it will then be brought online in the championship.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which is what it was invented for to get the big calls right, it's going to take time, but eventually just like goal line technology it will become normal.

Agreed.
Amazed that it's took so long.
People don't like change so will moan and resist it, instead of looking at the positives.
Is it worse having a decision referred to VAR or your team losing to a goal that was in breach of the rules?
It's a very good development and long overdue

Agreed.
Amazed that it's took so long.
People don't like change so will moan and resist it, instead of looking at the positives.
Is it worse having a decision referred to VAR or your team losing to a goal that was in breach of the rules?
It's a very good development and long overdue

Fear of change more like, I have seen VAR debated for over a year since before the last World Cup, but one thing I do remember is Russia 2018 was considered one of the best world cups for sometime, I mean Germany gettting Knocked out by VAR due to a last minute goal was correctly called onside, and of course Neymar looking Gutted at being at booked for Cheating 😂

Last edited by a moderator:
Players will adapt.

The handball rule has also been re-written, but instead of explaining the changes, it’s better just to display the entire new rewritten rule. According to the newly written laws, the changes are:

Deliberate handball remains an offence.

The following ‘handball’ situations, even if accidental, will be a free kick:

The ball goes into the goal after touching an attacking player’s hand/arm

A player gains control/possession of the ball after it has touched their hand/arm and then scores, or creates a goal-scoring opportunity

The ball touches a player’s hand/arm which has made their body unnaturally bigger

The ball touches a player’s hand/arm when it is above their shoulder (unless the player has deliberately played the ball which then touches their hand/arm)

The following will not usually be a free kick, unless they are one of the above situations:

The ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from their own head/body/foot or the head/body/foot of another player who is close/near
The ball touches a player’s hand/arm which is close to their body and has not made their body unnaturally bigger

If a player is falling and the ball touches their hand/arm when it is between their body and the ground to support the body (but not extended to make the body bigger)

If the goalkeeper attempts to ‘clear’ (release into play) a throw-in or deliberate kick from a team-mate but the ‘clearance’ fails, the goalkeeper can then handle the ball
I hope you enjoy VAR. I rarely watch PL football these days so it won’t really affect me anyway.

Last edited:
No worries.
Plenty of footballing luddites are against it because they don't like change, but it will also stop big teams getting dubious decisions as well imo.
Can't believe it has taken so long tbh.

I think it was inevitable was always coming, and people and fans need to embrace it and not expect it to be absolutely perfect every time, equally the powers of be need to looking and continually improving it and making it better.

Rightly or wrongly I think it’s here to stay!

Last edited:
I think it was inevitable was always coming, and people and fans need to embrace it and not expect it to be absolutely perfect every time, equally the powers of be need to looking and continually improving it and making it better.

Rightly or wrongly I think it’s here to stay!

Do you think sooner or later the FA will Introduce it into the football league as in the championship? FA Cup games that sort of thing.

Fear of change more like, I have seen VAR debated for over a year since before the last World Cup, but one thing I do remember is Russia 2018 was considered one of the best world cups for sometime, I mean Germany gettting Knocked out by VAR due to a last minute goal was correctly called onside, and of course Neymar looking Gutted at being at booked for Cheating 😂
Negativity bias. People forget the positive experiences and focus on the negative.

The people who are against VAR are usually the ones who hate diving and play acting from the soft as shite, modern greedy, overpaid players (their thoughts not mine, I think players are fairly paid).
Welln VAR will eliminate the advantages gained from diving.
I hope you enjoy VAR. I rarely watch PL football these days so it won’t really affect me anyway.

Thanks. I'm really looking forward to it. Anything which helps the rules be applied fairly and accurately is a good thing

Last edited:
Negativity bias. People forget the positive experiences and focus on the negative.

The people who are against VAR are usually the ones who hate diving and play acting from the soft as shite, modern greedy, overpaid players (their thoughts not mine, I think players are fairly paid).
Welln VAR will eliminate the advantages gained from diving.

Thanks. I'm really looking forward to it. Anything which helps the rules be applied fairly and accurately is a good thing

Neymar doesn't like this or those other big names who use the dark arts. 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back