VAR It starts tonight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. It can zoom in and mark the furthest forward point of an attacker, and the last line of the defence
I very much doubt that, the technology is only capable of showing one frame then the next, an awful lot can happen in in milliseconds, also how definite can they be on when the ball was played?
What’s happening is Sky and the authorities are reinventing the game according to what they would like us to believe, fans (some of them) are being brainwashed.

I very much doubt that, the technology is only capable of showing one frame then the next an awful lot can happen in in milliseconds, also how definite can they be on when the ball was played?
What’s happening is Sky and the authorities are reinventing the game according to what they would like us to believe, fans (some of them) are being brainwashed.

Do you think it is going to be more accurate than not having it?

They've got it in Spain, Italy, Germany, UEFA and FIFA games, trying to eliminate crucial errors by the refs, but aye mate it's Sky trying to reinvent the game

Maybe I should have said it will cause of a lot of debate, probably would have been a more accurate description!

Is putting wrongs right not a good thing then?
Isn’t it supposed to stop debate? It’s still not clear whether the decision on the biggest stage of all was correct and every game appears to have a debate over whether someone’s pubic hair was offside!

Isn’t it supposed to stop debate? It’s still not clear whether the decision on the biggest stage of all was correct and every game appears to have a debate over whether someone’s pubic hair was offside!

What decision is that you're on about? The blatant handball from Moussa Sissoko?

What decision is that you're on about? The blatant handball from Moussa Sissoko?
I can’t remember who it involved but it’s still 50/50 to this day depending on who you ask. It’s supposed to correct clear and obvious mistakes. If it still can’t be agreed over a year after the decision it’s not a clear and obvious mistake. It’s absolutely shite and I’m glad SAFC are out of it all.

Reactions: ATS
I can’t remember who it involved but it’s still 50/50 to this day depending on who you ask. It’s supposed to correct clear and obvious mistakes. If it still can’t be agreed over a year after the decision it’s not a clear and obvious mistake. It’s absolutely shite and I’m glad SAFC are out of it all.

I'm on about Sissoko in the champions league final 2 months ago. It appears you're on about something else.

It's a load of shite. Can't get binned quick enough for me. It's not an exaggeration to suggest it will absolutely ruin football as a match-going sport. The fact that some football goers still can't see this absolutely baffles me.

Sounds like a bit of an exaggeration to me that like.
Especially as it hasn't really been in full use yet. Why not just wait and see how it works in the PL before wetting the bed?

What happened then? Worryingly I can't remember much about it
Now you’re asking :lol: I can’t remember exactly but I think it was a handball. I remember being adamant the decision was wrong in the end. In the match thread on here it went on for pages with people debating it. It was 50/50 in the studio too. My point being that it’s supposed to correct clear and obvious mistakes. If there are as many people disagreeing with the decision as there are that agree with it then it cannot be clear and obvious.

I’ve reluctantly accepted that if a toenail is offside then it’s offside. I don’t particularly agree with it but that is the law. I remember a few years ago commentators and pundits used to talk about the whole daylight thing so I’m not certain why this is not a thing any more and why people have forgotten because it definitely used to get mentioned. As you say this is a thing that isn’t down to interpretation any more. It’s either on or off.

Handball, however, is down to interpretation of the law. Was it deliberate? Who knows?! Was his hand in an unnatural position? What the hell is an unnatural position and who is the referee to decide that?!

Sounds like a bit of an exaggeration to me that like.
Especially as it hasn't really been in full use yet. Why not just wait and see how it works in the PL before wetting the bed?
What makes you think I've wet the bed? Do you normally piss yourself when you exaggerate?

I've seen nothing so far from VAR to suggest it will do anything but hinder the enjoyment for the match going fan. If VAR is being used in a completely different way than normal then aye, i'll wait before passing judgement.

Now you’re asking :lol: I can’t remember exactly but I think it was a handball. I remember being adamant the decision was wrong in the end. In the match thread on here it went on for pages with people debating it. It was 50/50 in the studio too. My point being that it’s supposed to correct clear and obvious mistakes. If there are as many people disagreeing with the decision as there are that agree with it then it cannot be clear and obvious.

I’ve reluctantly accepted that if a toenail is offside then it’s offside. I don’t particularly agree with it but that is the law. I remember a few years ago commentators and pundits used to talk about the whole daylight thing so I’m not certain why this is not a thing any more and why people have forgotten because it definitely used to get mentioned. As you say this is a thing that isn’t down to interpretation any more. It’s either on or off.

Handball, however, is down to interpretation of the law. Was it deliberate? Who knows?! Was his hand in an unnatural position? What the hell is an unnatural position and who is the referee to decide that?!

Deliberate doesn't come into it any longer.
The refs are briefed on what is deemed to be making the silhouette of the body unnaturally bigger.
For example, Sissoko in the CL final looked like he was trying to hail a cab. Intentional or not, his arm didn't need to be there.
The rules are clear but fans and some pundits don't seem to want to familiarise themselves with it
What makes you think I've wet the bed? Do you normally piss yourself when you exaggerate?

I've seen nothing so far from VAR to suggest it will do anything but hinder the enjoyment for the match going fan. If VAR is being used in a completely different way than normal then aye, i'll wait before passing judgement.

In what way do you think it will it hinder it?

Last edited:
So if the goal is correctly disallowed why is that a problem?

I understand the right decision will be made but the natural unbridled joy will be ruined.

Start celebrating... look over to ref and linesman..flag down. Ref points to centre. Absolute scenes. People on the pitch. We've done it. 30 seconds later the ref hears in his ear that goal is in question.

No worries.
Plenty of footballing luddites are against it because they don't like change, but it will also stop big teams getting dubious decisions as well imo.
Can't believe it has taken so long tbh.
In principle, yes it should. In practice, it remains to be seen. I’m sceptical. I have no issue with the concept, because as you rightly say it should cut out the dodgy decisions. But like all good concepts, how effective it is depends on how it is applied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back