VAR It starts tonight!

Hate it because it takes any excitement away from your team scoring a goal. Delayed celebrations can ruin the joy.

Maybe need to rewrite some of the rulebook to accommodate this kind of tech but as it stands the rules do not work well.

Imaging having a goal disallowed because the attackers big toe was offside. Not something a ref or linesman would spot and not what I would call an unfair advantage but its going to happen.

I don’t think interesting would have been a word that I’d have chosen.

Maybe I should have said it will cause of a lot of debate, probably would have been a more accurate description!
VAR, huh? What is it good for?

Helping the refrees get decisions right where they'd have previously made an error.
Can't wait. Love progression in the sport.

Is putting wrongs right not a good thing then?

Hate it because it takes any excitement away from your team scoring a goal. Delayed celebrations can ruin the joy.

Maybe need to rewrite some of the rulebook to accommodate this kind of tech but as it stands the rules do not work well.

Imaging having a goal disallowed because the attackers big toe was offside. Not something a ref or linesman would spot and not what I would call an unfair advantage but its going to happen.

But he is offside. You're either on or off. Only 2 possible answers. On or off. Not "just a little bit offside". If his toe is offside, he's offside. It's simple.
Maybe I should have said it will cause of a lot of debate, probably would have been a more accurate description!

Is putting wrongs right not a good thing then?

Absolutely. That's why I'm all for it.

Is it still intended to be used for clear and obvious mistakes.

Sean Dyche was saying in the briefing they had on VAR they said it would be used to give yellow cards for simulation.

But he is offside. You're either on or off. Only 2 possible answers. On or off. Not "just a little bit offside". If his toe is offside, he's offside. It's simple.

Absolutely. That's why I'm all for it.
It maybe should be redefined to account for the new technology is what I am saying.

For example Did the ball cross the line or not (the whole ball or part of the ball goal or no goal)

Was the daylight between the attacker and the defender - then he is offside. A big toe length would never have been spotted when the rule was written and implemented. We are talking millimeters advantage which is insignificant maybe we need the whole player to be the definition of offside rather than a portion of a part of the player.

Think people will be utterly sick of it by the end of the season. Added time at the end of matches is going to be horrendous.

Yes by the letter of the law, but there's still an element of human nature though. If an attackers whole body was offside, then yes he's deliberately ran offside and deserves to be penalised. If it's just his toe, then chances are he thought his whole body was onside and didn't deliberately get in an offside position so I feel it's harsh to be penalised.

It maybe should be redefined to account for the new technology is what I am saying.

For example Did the ball cross the line or not (the whole ball or part of the ball goal or no goal)

Was the dahlight between the attacker and the defender - then he is offside. A big toe length would never have been spotted when the rule was written and implemented. We are talking millimeters advantage which is insignificant maybe we need the whole player to be the definition of offside rather than a portion of a part of the player.

Think people will be utterly sick of it by the end of the season. Added time at the end of matches is going to be horrendous.

We've had goal line technology for about 5 or 6 seasons in the premier league. The ref gets an alert on his watch within 5 seconds if it is a goal or not. No issue whatsoever. VAR won't be used for that.

A big toe would never have been spotted, but now it will be.
This daylight thing is a bit of a joke as it never existed as a rule, for example a player could be stretching for a ball, but his arm is behind him in line with the defender, yet his leg 2 yards further forward puts in a goal from an offside position.
You're either onside or offside, and now thanks to VAR those marginal calls which led to errors will be eliminated. It'll make things a lot fairer.

Is the technology capable of measuring infinitesimal distances, after all if you’re off you’re off aren’t you :rolleyes:

Yes by the letter of the law, but there's still an element of human nature though. If an attackers whole body was offside, then yes he's deliberately ran offside and deserves to be penalised. If it's just his toe, then chances are he thought his whole body was onside and didn't deliberately get in an offside position so I feel it's harsh to be penalised.

Maybe it's harsh, but in the interests clarity and removing misinterpretation or making it a matter of opinion, it's either on or off. Couldn't be simpler
Is the technology capable of measuring infinitesimal distances, after all if you’re off you’re off aren’t you :rolleyes:

Yes. It can zoom in and mark the furthest forward point of an attacker, and the last line of the defence

Back