VAR Again

The problem isn't VAR, it's the poor implementation of it and the latest crazy rules of the game.
For all people slagging VAR off, when a ref has a howler you don't suddenly declare the introduction of refs has ruined the game.

I think VAR doesn’t work because it has robbed us of the thrill of a big goal and huge celebration. We just couldn’t fall over ourselves celebrating a last minute winner anymore because we’d need to wait a minute before we were sure. Especially if it looked like it might even be remotely offside or something.

This you can blame VAR for.

In exchange we were supposed to get better decisions. I don’t think we have a superior trade off yet. We need to cut down the amount of times VAR is used.

Pretty certain they didn't change anything about offside but I can't really remember. From vague recollection, there weren't any major changes to anything.
Depends from when you mean mate. From the start of the season (I think) they changed it to if the ball hits an attacking players arm whether intentional or not in the build up to a goal it's ruled out. This does not apply to the defensive team, that's still down to the ref's discretion.

Barmy to have a different law for attackers and defenders but there you go.

The problem isn't VAR, it's the poor implementation of it and the latest crazy rules of the game.
For all people slagging VAR off, when a ref has a howler you don't suddenly declare the introduction of refs has ruined the game.
The game has been great all my life. We have had good and bad refs and that's part of the game. VAR is not improving the fans enjoyment of the game one little bit. I my opinion, and no doubt others, the introduction of VAR has measurably made the game worse. Don't forget this game is about entertainment - what I remember is those moments of pure joy like Liam Miller scoring with the last kick of the game against Derby or Ji against Man City - that joy is now tempered by the realisation that someone somewhere is scrutinising everything to see whether they can rule the goal out - people simply don't celebrate goals in the same way - this is according to Premier League fans anyway.

Depends from when you mean mate. From the start of the season (I think) they changed it to if the ball hits an attacking players arm whether intentional or not in the build up to a goal it's ruled out. This does not apply to the defensive team, that's still down to the ref's discretion.

Having different rules for different teams is ridiculous. Football can be so fluid, you can be "attacking" from the edge of your own box

Yeah, it's nuts. I was referring to the changes announced a few weeks ago that will be adopted for next season, they had the chance to change it and I think they made it slightly better (hitting the arm has to directly lead to the chance, not just be a handball in the build up) but I totally agree with you, it's got to be the same no matter where you are on the pitch.

Go on then, dazzle me with the solution. Explain to me how it’s currently wrong, which it is, and how you would rectify it. I’m all eyes.

Not quite. They changed it to if it hits the arm in the direct involvement of a goal being scored, ie in off the arm. Not hitting Fodens arm on the halfway line then Mahrez running half the pitch and scoring. VAR was wrong yet again, can’t even implement their stupid rules

The problem is definitely VAR. We are having more errors now then previously. Fodens handball wasn’t directly involved in the goal so was a mistake. Spurs scored a handball goal that wasn’t disallowed. Sheff Utd scored a goal that went over the line and VAR didn’t review. The offside thing is a complete farce and doesn’t account for any error whatsoever. The disallowed goal for WHU against Chelsea was a joke when they used the wrong play to call him offside. Referees didn’t make this frequent a mistake previously.

Thats 4 errors I’ve listed in the last 7 days orso. That is nowhere near good enough.

Last edited:
Watching Liverpool v Man City last night and Mahrez had the 5th goal ruled out - in the build up the ball bounced off the arm of a City player who was lying on the deck. The Man City player didn't play the ball with his arm and he couldn't get out of the way. The commentators and VAR people concluded hand ball. If this had happened in the box and it had bounced off a defender's arm who was lying in the deck and couldn't get out the way there is no way it would be given as a penalty - they would say the handball was purely accidental and he couldn't get out of the way. Effectively all VAR is doing is decreasing the numbers of goal allowed - it doesn't make the game any fairer.

I know we have bigger worries but the single thing you go to the match for is the feeling of euphoria and utter abandonment you feel when your team scores - that has now been taken away because you know there's a fair chance it will be ruled out and, for me, that minor incident last night (Man City were already 4-0 up so it wasnt controversial) summed up what a terrible change the authorities have brought on the game. To say VAR is ruining football is not, in my opinion, an exaggeration.
Totally agree but if you thought that was bad check Harry Kane's first disallowed goal v Sheff Utd chalked off for Moura's handball.

Defence seems to have the advantage over attack with VAR decisions. As people have said it’s the laws that are wrong not VAR.

Missed that off my list above. That’s 5 VAR howlers in the last week in the PL alone.

The hand ball rule is nothing to do with VAR, it is just a stupid rule that will be changed again.
They had it that way before and wingers could blast a ball of a full backs arm from 2 yards away and win a penalty, so they changed it to accidental.
Everyone complained about the interpretations of "accidental" so they have tried going back.

Does anyone have any idea why this ridiculous handball rule was introduced? ( Red & White Rob/ Voice of Fair Play? ) What exactly was it supposed to change for the betterment of the game? Currently it is a total mess and against any sense of fairness.

The hand ball rule is nothing to do with VAR, it is just a stupid rule that will be changed again.
They had it that way before and wingers could blast a ball of a full backs arm from 2 yards away and win a penalty, so they changed it to accidental.
Everyone complained about the interpretations of "accidental" so they have tried going back.

Wrong. Spurs’ header from the corner against WHU should have been disallowed as it hit his arm on the way in. VAR failed.

Man City’s goal should have stood as the handball was on the halfway line and did not directly lead to a goal, so did not fall into that rule. VAR failed.

In both cases VAR failed to apply the rules correctly.
Does anyone have any idea why this ridiculous handball rule was introduced? ( Red & White Rob/ Voice of Fair Play? ) What exactly was it supposed to change for the betterment of the game? Currently it is a total mess and against any sense of fairness.

It was supposed to make it easier for VAR, so you didn’t have to have a debate about deliberate against accidental handball which you can’t see on a slow mo replay. Went really well though.

Watching Liverpool v Man City last night and Mahrez had the 5th goal ruled out - in the build up the ball bounced off the arm of a City player who was lying on the deck. The Man City player didn't play the ball with his arm and he couldn't get out of the way. The commentators and VAR people concluded hand ball. If this had happened in the box and it had bounced off a defender's arm who was lying in the deck and couldn't get out the way there is no way it would be given as a penalty - they would say the handball was purely accidental and he couldn't get out of the way. Effectively all VAR is doing is decreasing the numbers of goal allowed - it doesn't make the game any fairer.

I know we have bigger worries but the single thing you go to the match for is the feeling of euphoria and utter abandonment you feel when your team scores - that has now been taken away because you know there's a fair chance it will be ruled out and, for me, that minor incident last night (Man City were already 4-0 up so it wasnt controversial) summed up what a terrible change the authorities have brought on the game. To say VAR is ruining football is not, in my opinion, an exaggeration.

Nothing to do with VAR - why are people blaming VAR?

It is the laws of the game now - non deliberate handball in the build up to a goal means the goal is now disallowed.

Change the rules but not VAR

Nothing to do with VAR - why are people blaming VAR?

It is the laws of the game now - non deliberate handball in the build up to a goal means the goal is now disallowed.

Change the rules but not VAR
How does non deliberate hand ball in the box work? Is it a penalty?

Back