VAR Again

Watching Liverpool v Man City last night and Mahrez had the 5th goal ruled out - in the build up the ball bounced off the arm of a City player who was lying on the deck. The Man City player didn't play the ball with his arm and he couldn't get out of the way. The commentators and VAR people concluded hand ball. If this had happened in the box and it had bounced off a defender's arm who was lying in the deck and couldn't get out the way there is no way it would be given as a penalty - they would say the handball was purely accidental and he couldn't get out of the way. Effectively all VAR is doing is decreasing the numbers of goal allowed - it doesn't make the game any fairer.

I know we have bigger worries but the single thing you go to the match for is the feeling of euphoria and utter abandonment you feel when your team scores - that has now been taken away because you know there's a fair chance it will be ruled out and, for me, that minor incident last night (Man City were already 4-0 up so it wasnt controversial) summed up what a terrible change the authorities have brought on the game. To say VAR is ruining football is not, in my opinion, an exaggeration.

Watching Liverpool v Man City last night and Mahrez had the 5th goal ruled out - in the build up the ball bounced off the arm of a City player who was lying on the deck. The Man City player didn't play the ball with his arm and he couldn't get out of the way. The commentators and VAR people concluded hand ball. If this had happened in the box and it had bounced off a defender's arm who was lying in the deck and couldn't get out the way there is no way it would be given as a penalty - they would say the handball was purely accidental and he couldn't get out of the way. Effectively all VAR is doing is decreasing the numbers of goal allowed - it doesn't make the game any fairer.

I know we have bigger worries but the single thing you go to the match for is the feeling of euphoria and utter abandonment you feel when your team scores - that has now been taken away because you know there's a fair chance it will be ruled out and, for me, that minor incident last night (Man City were already 4-0 up so it wasnt controversial) summed up what a terrible change the authorities have brought on the game. To say VAR is ruining football is not, in my opinion, an exaggeration.
I'm no fan of VAR but in this case they had no choice, it's the law that's wrong in my opinion. I don't see why you should allow it to be an offence at one end and not the other. Particularly with the introduction of VAR (which I know is only at the top level), I think it should be a lot easier to determine an accidental handball or a deliberate/making yourself bigger handball and that to me is what the law should be.

I'm no fan of VAR but in this case they had no choice, it's the law that's wrong in my opinion. I don't see why you should allow it to be an offence at one end and not the other. Particularly with the introduction of VAR (which I know is only at the top level), I think it should be a lot easier to determine an accidental handball or a deliberate/making yourself bigger handball and that to me is what the law should be.
It's not law marra, it's just a rule and rules can be changed quite quickly. The governing bodies need to get their fingers out and sort it out..

It's not law marra, it's just a rule and rules can be changed quite quickly. The governing bodies need to get their fingers out and sort it out..
Well it's defined by one of the laws of the game but I'm not going to get into an argument about whether they meet the strict definition of a law or rule.

Whatever you want to call them, they are only changed once per year so seasons run with the same set all of the way through. They announced this year's changes a few weeks ago and I'm pretty certain they didn't change it so that the two goals yesterday would have stood.

Well it's defined by one of the laws of the game but I'm not going to get into an argument about whether they meet the strict definition of a law or rule.

Whatever you want to call them, they are only changed once per year so seasons run with the same set all of the way through. They announced this year's changes a few weeks ago and I'm pretty certain they didn't change it so that the two goals yesterday would have stood.
I wasn't trying to be a twat marra regarding is it law or a rule btw ;) anyway what I meant was it could and should be changed. The VAR system came in to help referees with the smooth running of the game, good referees use common sense, however unfortunately that seems to have gone out of the game..

I wasn't trying to be a twat marra regarding is it law or a rule btw ;) anyway what I meant was it could and should be changed. The VAR system came in to help referees with the smooth running of the game, good referees use common sense, however unfortunately that seems to have gone out of the game..
You'll get no argument from me on that

Has the law been changed for VAR to work? Like with offsides

Aye. Well where its clearly accidental and the player just has it hit off his arm. Remember City got a pen at Spurs when it hit off a defender who was on the deck. Man Utd got a pen at PSG when the defender had his back to the ball etc.
Fair does. I just rarely watch Premier League any more or Champions League. The fact that every goal is now scrutinised and potentially ruled out is totally spoiling the game for me. Obviously at some point I hope we get back in the Prem but I pray that VAR has been abolished by then. Some may like it but I think its a disaster.

May all those that heralded the introduction of VAR hang their heads in shame, it’s a farce.
Three and a half minutes they were on the other night before they disallowed West Ham a *goal*, absolute clown shoe of a system, and the way they interpret it at times is frankly laughable.

Never quite understood why all goals need to checked. Didn't see any defenders appeal for handball on either occasion last night. Just seem to use it to justify its existence. Do all leagues using VAR check all goals?

VA
Never quite understood why all goals need to checked. Didn't see any defenders appeal for handball on either occasion last night. Just seem to use it to justify its existence. Do all leagues using VAR check all goals?

Why should there have to be an appeal about an incident?
VAR worked perfectly, it was the lawmakers who may have got it wrong

Consistent with the Spurs game i thought and clearly an offence.. Mind José did get it absolutely right about one aspect of the match, The game is not being refereed on the pitch by the officials, it being refereed from Stockley Park.
Aye. Well where its clearly accidental and the player just has it hit off his arm. Remember City got a pen at Spurs when it hit off a defender who was on the deck. Man Utd got a pen at PSG when the defender had his back to the ball etc.
City also had a last minute home winner against Spurs (Last season I think) ruled off for a non entity of a decision by the Var official.

Last edited:
The problem isn't VAR, it's the poor implementation of it and the latest crazy rules of the game.
For all people slagging VAR off, when a ref has a howler you don't suddenly declare the introduction of refs has ruined the game.

Back