Vaccine shortage threatens further Freedom Day delay

A shortage of vaccines could threaten a further Freedom Day delay as supplies of Pfizer and Moderna jabs are 'tight' amid an increased demand - as young people are taking alternatives to AstraZeneca.

Ignoring the DM headline, surely this was always going to create an issue?

Where were the extra Moderna/Pfizer vaccines expected to appear from? Has it been confirmed that we have enough stock to actually carry out the vaccination of all under 40s within the new timescale?

I can't speak for everyone, but when I went last week, I wasn't given an option. It was just 'you're having Moderna'. They should really start offering Astrazeneca as first option - I don't think too many people would care.

The booking system isn't great either. If you've already had your first jab, you can move your second dose forward a few weeks. But, you've got to cancel your previous appointment first. Daft system and understandable that people wouldn't want to 'risk' losing their slot.

I can't speak for everyone, but when I went last week, I wasn't given an option. It was just 'you're having Moderna'. They should really start offering Astrazeneca as first option - I don't think too many people would care.

The booking system isn't great either. If you've already had your first jab, you can move your second dose forward a few weeks. But, you've got to cancel your previous appointment first. Daft system and understandable that people wouldn't want to 'risk' losing their slot.
There is a way round this. Dont cancel your slot online, instead ring 119. They can "move" your slot forward. They can see whats available before moving you. I did this during the over 55's rollout

Didn't get the choice, mind the booking system was a pice of piss,organised on the monday for the friday and booked the 2nd at the same time, literally a 3 minute drive away

There is a way round this. Dont cancel your slot online, instead ring 119. They can "move" your slot forward. They can see whats available before moving you. I did this during the over 55's rollout

Didn't know that. Mind, I still can't see why they can't just add a button that says "move your booking" alongside "cancel your booking". Surely can't be too difficult to do.

Didn't get the choice, mind the booking system was a pice of piss,organised on the monday for the friday and booked the 2nd at the same time, literally a 3 minute drive away

This.

Easy to sort and was just told what I was getting. Was never going to be Astra due to under 40s not being given it.

From the stats posted yesterday, there wasn't much difference in efficiency between 1 and 2 jabs for the Pfizer/Moderna jabs when it comes to the delta variant. It's the AZ lot that benefit from the 2nd dose. Sounds like a non-story (what a surprise.)

A shortage of vaccines could threaten a further Freedom Day delay as supplies of Pfizer and Moderna jabs are 'tight' amid an increased demand - as young people are taking alternatives to AstraZeneca.

Ignoring the DM headline, surely this was always going to create an issue?

Where were the extra Moderna/Pfizer vaccines expected to appear from? Has it been confirmed that we have enough stock to actually carry out the vaccination of all under 40s within the new timescale?

Looks like the narrative is being prepared to perpetuate restrictions.

Surely the decreased numbers is just because they're running out of people to vaccinate and with the slower 1st vaccinations roughly 12 weeks ago there's not as many 2nd vaccinations going in either. Locally (North Tyneside) have been doing walk ins for both AZ and Pfizer for the last 2 weeks now and they're still dead.

Is there a reason they're not doing astra for under 40s?

Increased risk of blood clots which are a higher risk than the complications of Covid basically. Both very very unlikely but better to be on the safe side imo.

Back