Vaccinations query (for abroad)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mini-x2

Striker
Reet. My son is shortly going to Sri Lanka for a few weeks and has been advised that he needs Hep B and Rabies vaccinations. He's looked into the prices and to be honest it's an absolute case of extortion. When I went to Egypt (many moons ago) the jabs I got were free. Any way round this?

Reet. My son is shortly going to Sri Lanka for a few weeks and has been advised that he needs Hep B and Rabies vaccinations. He's looked into the prices and to be honest it's an absolute case of extortion. When I went to Egypt (many moons ago) the jabs I got were free. Any way round this?
tell him to wear his da`s clobber and stand in the bridges, he`ll get all the jabs he wants for free, probably a few hooks as well :lol: seriously though does he not work for anywhere that do them for free? council or owt like that?

Nhs are running low at the minute apparently, lad at work is off to Vietnam and had a nightmare getting his.

Just drain his body of blood and replace it with yours so he can have your vaccinations for nowt.

Tight as a ducks arse.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Travel-immunisation/Pages/Introduction.aspx

here`s me thinking was only the health tourists that got stuff for nowt the bassas

The cost of treating the infection as well as the risk to public health from an infected person means there's an argument that for cost effectiveness and public protection, people should have certain travel vaccines free. Otherwise people don't get them, bring the disease back into a potentially unprotected population and cause more problems than the cost of the vaccine itself.

Hep B and Rabies aren't free as per that NHS link though so @mini-x2 if the medical advice is to get them - get them. Think of it like health insurance. Better safe than sorry.

Phone the GP surgery. Private places charge loads for stuff NHS does for free.

Only one I had to get private was Yellow Fever (for Brazil like, not SL)

Surely he can get the nurse at the docs to do vacs, had them last year for nothing and then go back for boosters. Boots take the piss and try to scare people about rabies injections, would have cost me about £200.

Surely he can get the nurse at the docs to do vacs, had them last year for nothing and then go back for boosters. Boots take the piss and try to scare people about rabies injections, would have cost me about £200.

He will likely still need to pay for the vaccine itself though.

Rabies is optional and expensive as fuck. Have done without it so far . Basically if you get bit rabies is treatable with or without the shot as long as you get treatment in 24 hours . So as long as your not in the bush that should be manageable . Difference is no shot = some of the injections directly into bite and 10 jabs , with shot = 3 jabs in the arm .

The cost of treating the infection as well as the risk to public health from an infected person means there's an argument that for cost effectiveness and public protection, people should have certain travel vaccines free. Otherwise people don't get them, bring the disease back into a potentially unprotected population and cause more problems than the cost of the vaccine itself.

Hep B and Rabies aren't free as per that NHS link though so @mini-x2 if the medical advice is to get them - get them. Think of it like health insurance. Better safe than sorry.
but there is an argument that unless it`s at governmental orders travel is voluntarily undertaken primarily for ones own enjoyment, so why should that be public funded? And a further argument that this is @mini-x2`s progeny we are talking about with his fathers idea`s and sartorial ideals do we really want to run the risk of a diplomatic scandal by funding the possible propagation of Witherwackian genes upon Sri Lanka?

but there is an argument that unless it`s at governmental orders travel is voluntarily undertaken primarily for ones own enjoyment, so why should that be public funded? And a further argument that this is @mini-x2`s progeny we are talking about with his fathers idea`s and sartorial ideals do we really want to run the risk of a diplomatic scandal by funding the possible propagation of Witherwackian genes upon Sri Lanka?

I think the state take the view that

1. People will go on holiday
2. People will take the risk if it's a paid for vaccine
3. People will get infected and bring it back

It's entirely their fault if they do, yes, but we have no way to force them to get vaccinated (IMO I would not readmit someone to the UK who had not been vaccinated) so we have to protect the public.

Maybe I'm wrong - I haven't delved into the full reasons for paying for some and not others.

It seems like a "people will fuck up so we have to clean up the mess" approach

I think the state take the view that

1. People will go on holiday
2. People will take the risk if it's a paid for vaccine
3. People will get infected and bring it back

It's entirely their fault if they do, yes, but we have no way to force them to get vaccinated (IMO I would not readmit someone to the UK who had not been vaccinated) so we have to protect the public.

Maybe I'm wrong - I haven't delved into the full reasons for paying for some and not others.

It seems like a "people will fuck up so we have to clean up the mess" approach
A lot of research shows that insured people drive a lot worse than uninsured people believe it or not, its that sort of safety net type mentality, so if we stop innoculating would people be more aware they were unprotected and take more precautions IE better hygiene, being more carefuls of animals etc?

• hepatitis A – including when combined with typhoid or hepatitis B Ah was wondering if that meant you got both free but presuming now you still have to pay for the B bit. Its a bugger like when we treat health tourists here for nowt but have to pay for jabs to go on holiday ourselves :evil:

tell him to wear his da`s clobber and stand in the bridges, he`ll get all the jabs he wants for free, probably a few hooks as well :lol: seriously though does he not work for anywhere that do them for free? council or owt like that?

He's a student at uni.

Definitely no need for the rabies jab. The stray dogs over there are too weak to run never mind attack you.

Been a few times, just got the Typhoid/Hep A combination.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back