Vaccinating 40 year olds instead of teachers Phase 2 order

I think it's down to logistics and not science.

Me and the wife got our first jabs on Sunday (we're 47 and 42) after receiving the text invite from our GP. Now as far as we know we aren't in any high risk categories so we rang up the surgery to check. They told us that something in our medical history has triggered the alert and it would be easier all round if we just got the jab rather than tried to find out.

Only thing we could think of twas that we've both had little procedures to remove pre-cancerous cells in the last 5 years.
But like I said on the other thread a we literally used to vaccinate kids IN schools. How hard can it be to do that with teachers?

It's not codswallop at all.

FWIW, I think the Police should be done. I don't think teachers are at risk.
We can agree to disagree. In the case of police and teachers I don't think it will be an admin burden at all. Certainly no more than other occupations who HAVE been prioritised. Obviously that changes if you talk of other occupantions such as factories or supermarkets.

And there is the other secondary benefit from vaccinating police officers - they could easily in one day visit five or more houses, a hospital and a supermarket. They are potentially vectors of transmission unwittingly.

Anyway, done now. In terms of numbers the vaccine roll out is going well so we can applaud that.

Can anyone in the know (@Bluepaul ?) tell me what the science is behind vaccinating by age now we are at this stage, rather than by more obvious vectors, such as teachers, police, even supermarket workers?

I’m 44, wfh, I hardly leave the house, I’m not really a risk of transmission. My mates at schools will be Mixing with 300 odd households everyday. My policeman brother goes to domestics every day in people’s houses.

What’s the science behind this?
Age is still the biggest risk factor for severe complications, ahead of profession. So a 42 year old office worker is still more likely to die from C-19 or be hospitalised than a 34 year old teacher.

Age is still the biggest risk factor for severe complications, ahead of profession. So a 42 year old office worker is still more likely to die from C-19 or be hospitalised than a 34 year old teacher.
I get that. But how much more likely?

And why are we (at this stage) still only looking at a single factor (ie likelihood of death) rather than likelihood of transmission?

But like I said on the other thread a we literally used to vaccinate kids IN schools. How hard can it be to do that with teachers?

But we weren't vaccinating millions of kids in a few weeks.

If you take the resources from school to school instead of at one focused centre, you severely cut the number of jabs you can do. From a logistical pint of view it's much more efficient, exponentially so.

Same if you want to get an occupational check at the vaccine centres, it's a resource drain we can do without.

It's imperfect, but not much we can do about it with the resources available.

And why are we (at this stage) still only looking at a single factor (ie likelihood of death) rather than likelihood of transmission?
It's a matter of a couple of months. The transmission will be much less soon enough. The risk is very small for the potential gain.

Unless, you reckon this is a political decision to spite Starmer or the Unions, I cannot see a problem with it.

I think they had a chart up that showed severe complications by age range and each age range is roughly twice as likely as the previous age range to get complications. I didn’t really study it in depth. I would have said that their main aim is to stop hospitalisation and death as much as possible, rather than reduce transmission amongst a population with the least likelihood of getting complications anyway. They have finite resources and they are, rightly or wrongly (rightly in my opinion), prioritising the people statistically most vulnerable and the capacity of hospitals over everything else.

It's a matter of a couple of months. The transmission will be much less soon enough. The risk is very small for the potential gain.

Unless, you reckon this is a political decision to spite Starmer or the Unions, I cannot see a problem with it.
No I don’t think it’s a political decision. I use find it curious and wondered if there was any science behind it.

First you need a list of all teachers and other people involved in schools, ditto for the police. Once you have your list you have to contact each one and get them to a vaccinating station. By the time you do the admin you could have vaccinated thousands of people.

Secondly, the bulk of teachers and police will be in the group being called anyway so you would only advance them by a few days . It’s not worth the effort especially as teachers have been proven to not be at any extra risk.
I do not agree with this at all.
The country already has a list of teachers and police. Otherwise how do they know who to pay from the public purse!

Also disingenuous to say only a few days. Could be 8-10 weeks difference for many

We can agree to disagree. In the case of police and teachers I don't think it will be an admin burden at all. Certainly no more than other occupations who HAVE been prioritised. Obviously that changes if you talk of other occupantions such as factories or supermarkets.

And there is the other secondary benefit from vaccinating police officers - they could easily in one day visit five or more houses, a hospital and a supermarket. They are potentially vectors of transmission unwittingly.

Anyway, done now. In terms of numbers the vaccine roll out is going well so we can applaud that.
Yes but surely once you start prioritising CERTAIN professions, people from other professions would expect the same.
Don't see why police officers , teachers etc should be prioritised ahead of shop workers etc.
i would have thought that the occupations that HAVE been prioritised are people that are coming into direct contact with people KNOWN to have the virus - ie: health workers.

To me, doing it MAINLY by age is the most simple way - they can (hopefully) make sure no-one gets missed out , and the most vunerable (age wise) are getting vaccinated first.

Why would you waste time setting up a vaccination centre in a school for one day for a handful of people? It would be a waste of resources.
I do not agree with this at all.
The country already has a list of teachers and police. Otherwise how do they know who to pay from the public purse!

Also disingenuous to say only a few days. Could be 8-10 weeks difference for many

Look they don’t want to do it so it’s pointless whinging on about it. They just have to wait for their turn. End of.

Last edited:

Because that is the whole point of the vaccine - to reduce the number of deaths.

You can’t have people crying over 100,000 deaths on one hand and then leave people who are more likely to die than teachers unvaccinated for the sake of teachers. It doesn’t make sense to vaccinate teachers before older people.

Is a 30-40year old teacher more/less at risk than a 60 year old supermarket worker or bus driver?
A high number of contacts from all age groups per day.

Yes but surely once you start prioritising CERTAIN professions, people from other professions would expect the same.
Don't see why police officers , teachers etc should be prioritised ahead of shop workers etc.
i would have thought that the occupations that HAVE been prioritised are people that are coming into direct contact with people KNOWN to have the virus - ie: health workers.

To me, doing it MAINLY by age is the most simple way - they can (hopefully) make sure no-one gets missed out , and the most vunerable (age wise) are getting vaccinated first.

Police > Prison Officers > Security Guards > Bouncers

My mrs had her jab at Bunny Hill yesterday and 4 coppers were in getting theirs.
She was told to expect a phone call and was told to accept the appointment even if it was in work time so she was under the impression that she would get the call for a short notice appointment where there were spare vaccines that would go to waste but when she got the call it was to book for a few days later. All her shift have had them now.

Part of me (as someone who is 43) is thinking 'good, me soon', but I do think those out mixing with people more should get it ahead of me. That includes teachers and police officers. There are only something like 8k teachers and supporting staff. When 448k people received a vaccination yesterday, it is a drop in the ocean. There are apparently 149k police, but you could do then and set the rest of the country back 3 days. Delay a week and probably get public transport workers done too.

Likely, I'll drive up to my local health centre, get a jab and come back home to only really going out to a supermarket once every couple of weeks for a small shop. The risk to me is not much different to those who have to mix. Knowing they have a level of protection will probably do a hell of a lot of their stress levels.

Not sure where you've got that 8k figure from mate. There are over half a million full-time teachers in the UK.
Education and training statistics for the UK, Reporting Year 2020 – Explore education statistics – GOV.UK (explore-education-statistics.service.gov.uk)

Back