Vacant buildings with the best potential

One of the biggest eyesores in Sunderland must be around Hay Street its a bit of an eyesore, there are buildings which have been unused for years, why not knock them all down and replace with a supermarket or a retail park.

One of the biggest eyesores in Sunderland must be around Hay Street its a bit of an eyesore, there are buildings which have been unused for years, why not knock them all down and replace with a supermarket or a retail park.

The whole sheepfolds area would be a prime for development. But i think retail/supermarket would be a bad idea with tesco/lidl close already. They should keep it for businesses as well as housing as it links up the city centre to the stadium. The council have compulsory purchased a lot of businesses there for future development. I think they should look to use the land to bring jobs into the centre of Sunderland....so that the north side of the city centre improves
Maybe the message board should have its own sub-forum for developments in Sunderland? its always quite popular on here

Last edited:
Good to see some investment in the building but I have my reservations with the proposals as suspect it will be done on the cheap, but hope to be proved wrong.

also will be interesting to see if the landlord invests in replacing shot/broken upper floor windows and the roof to stop water ingress as it’s just been left for months, if not years, open to the elements and pigeons.

The old school buildings next to the tip. Could be opened for some class bars n restaurants and would be on a good route from The Saltgrass, King's Arms and Isis.

Just footfall isn't it? No one lives in the city centre, and barely anyone works in the city centre. So the only reason to go to the city centre would be to go out of your way, but then if you're going out of your way you might as well go to Newcastle where it'll be busier because it has the footfall from people living and working in the city centre, and the fact it's busier leads to more variety.
Absolutely this.

Slightly off the thread topic, but ive always thought that Blandford St. would make a really nice avenue with some trees planted and few smart cafes and pubs

Housings earmarked but aren’t Businesses and others round there an obstacle as they won’t move
All the nimbys will be moving there and demanding parking restrictions and complaints about noise and litter on match days and will petition the council to get ground moved

Back