V5 document

Fletch

Striker
Can’t find car v5 document , not even sure I ever got one . From a sale last year . Should I contact the dealership ? (Used car)

I suddenly realised mine hadn't come for a new bike I bought after a few months
It was overlooked their end rather than lost .sorted now

This if you have the new keeper slip and never received a v5 it’s free as well.
didnt even get a keeper slip , it was evans halshaw at gateshead , but noticed as drove past this morning that its now closed and building up for let , was bought this time last year

v62 and £25 at the post office for a new one.
This, or you send a V62 form to the DVLA yourself with a cheque for £25 to obtain the V5C.

You shouldn't be able to buy and definitely can't sell a car without a V5C. It is the document showing "possession" of a car or other vehicle by a given person. The V5C is needed to transfer ownership.

didnt even get a keeper slip , it was evans halshaw at gateshead , but noticed as drove past this morning that its now closed and building up for let , was bought this time last year
Just send the the form in with a postal order or cheque for £25. Took about 4 weeks when I did mine earlier in the year. Probably be longer at the minute.
This, or you send a V62 form to the DVLA yourself with a cheque for £25 to obtain the V5C.

You shouldn't be able to buy and definitely can't sell a car without a V5C. It is the document showing "possession" of a car or other vehicle by a given person. The V5C is needed to transfer ownership.
it literally says on the front of a v5 that it isn’t proof of ownership. It’s an awful idea to buy something without the v5 if your spending a few quid though. If it was a couple of hundred quid might be worth the risk.

Last edited:
Just send the the form in with a postal order or cheque for £25. Took about 4 weeks when I did mine earlier in the year. Probably be longer at the minute.
Did that when I bought a car off my mate and he couldn't find the V5. Remember it needed the VIN but can't remember if they ask for the address of the previous owner? Could extend the time if the OP doesn't have it.

it literally says on the front of a v5 that it isn’t proof of ownership. It’s an awful idea to buy something without the v5 if your spending a few quid though. If it was a couple of hundred quid might be worth the risk.

I know. As I said, the V5C denotes the possessor of the vehicle. But the V5C effectively makes the possessor of the car the one who has the power to sell or transfer it.

If the possessor sells on the vehicle, the owner can't easily stop them. All the owner can do if a different person, is reclaim the value of the car if sold on.

Last edited:

Back