V - original series

£19.99 for the complete set on DVD. Little treat for myself when Xmas shopping yesterday.

What's your thoughts on it for those who remember it. Was a Lost type phenomenon when it first aired.

Watched first 90 minute episode last night, basically it's a world war 2 story about the resistance fighters, with the aliens replacing the Nazis. Thoroughly enjoyed it, although some of the effects have dated terribly

Haven’t read the whole thread but I Loved it.
Didn’t it just stop being aired without a proper conclusion ?
It’s that long ago like I might be wrong !

Huge, huge fan since I first watched it as a kid back in the 80's. Where some folk have their 'Star Trek', 'V' was always my show, even if the weekly series was so bad in a good way.

The book 'V: The Second Generation' is well worth picking up. Penned by Kenneth Johnson it disregards 'The Final Battle' trilogy and skips to 30 years later and they're still here.

Johnson's been giving it the big one with doing a remake and then TSG following up but he comes across royally up his own arse about the type of studio to do it etc. and it was gaining some traction earlier in the year but all went to shit again.

You could easily do something decent if he'd let Netflix get behind it and have a go but he's grand visions of big cinema release and all that bollocks. At this stage I doubt it will get off the ground.

No. You're thinking of the new version. The old version ended with Elizabeth going to see the supreme leader and arrange a peace, iirc.

The old version did also get cancelled without a proper resolution....

Source: IMDB Trivia:

The cancellation of this series was unexpected; as a result, it ends with a cliffhanger.

A twentieth episode was produced, where it was explained that the end of the war between humans and Visitors ordered by the Leader was in fact a trap to catch the Resistance and conquer the Earth as a cliffhanger for the next season, but it never was aired.

The script of the beginning of the second season was completed while the first season was still in production. After the series was cancelled, it eventually got leaked. Most notable was the fact that Julie was killed during the first act.

Because the series was cancelled, the producers had no way to finish the story because the first season ended with a cliffhanger. Interest in the ongoing comic series had also waned, and it was cancelled as well. Thanks to the warning the comic book writers had received, they were able to write a two-part story that served as the official ending for the television series and the comic book series: the Leader sends his only child to Earth, who is befriended by the resistance. In spite of the war-minded Visitors plotting an assassination attempt to frame the humans, he was returned safely to the leader, and as a gesture of thanks, he recalled the attacking fleet from Earth. Eventually, this plot was used in the eponymous DC Comics' limited series "V", where Bron, son of the Leader, was sent to the Earth, but he died to save Donovan and the Resistance from an attack of the Visitors. Bron's death caused the Leader to change his mind about the war, stopping it to let both species live in peace.

Back