UV filters on lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being new DSLR and lens ownership, I've read recommendations in some places that lenses should each be fitted with a UV filter, almost as a default action, if only to protect the lens beneath.

What is the advice of forum members on this ?

And will this compromise the image (or is it reversable in software) ?

Being new DSLR and lens ownership, I've read recommendations in some places that lenses should each be fitted with a UV filter, almost as a default action, if only to protect the lens beneath.

What is the advice of forum members on this ?

And will this compromise the image (or is it reversable in software) ?

Anything you stick in front of the lens will very slightly degrade the image

I've never seen any worthwhile use for them beyond dustcovers

Someone once told me the cost of getting your lens glass repaired or replaced is about the same cost as a good UV filter.

Personally I've never used one, but I do stick the lens hood on to try and offer a bit of protection from accidental damage to the glass

Got a draw full of the fuckers here

Should devise some game for the kids to play with them

They can help with haze and also reducing glare off water or reflective surfaces. I don't bother like. Like anything you put in front of the lens, if it's cheap it will probably make the image look worse.

Tip: don't try to shoot rainbows with a UV filter on :-D

Bought one for my 17-55 when I took it to Iceland, as I was worried about ash scratching the lens. Otherwise never use them.

Agree that they are generally a waste of time. I suppose if you were going to take pictures in a really dusty environment or anticipate lots of sea spray it might make sense, though the biggest impact of those things would be getting into the mechanisms, rather than any damage to the glass.

As said above, a lens hood will protect the front element of the lens from most minor knocks/scratches, as well as obviously doing its job of improving the image by blocking peripheral light. A lens cap for when you're not shooting is another option.

It's also wrong to assume you need to keep a lens spotlessly clean at all times, as dirt and scratches on the front element rarely have any impact on the image. The most important reason not to scratch lenses is probably so you can get the best price when you eventually sell them. By the same token, if you want to get good lenses on the cheap, look for the ones that have scratches on the front element.

Most scratches to lenses are probably done by rubbing grit into the glass by cleaning them incorrectly, especially while out in the field. IMO best to do it carefully at home and use a blower first to remove abrasive stuff before you touch the lens with any cleaning device.

All good advice from TGS

Dust doesn't even affect image quality much unless a volcano has erupted nearby recently

Smudges from trying to clean lenses do more

With digital, all they have ever done for me is increase lens flare.

As I have never damaged a filter, I guess I would have never damaged a lens either in the time I used them!

I have a UV filter on 180mm Sigma macro, it saved the lens when I dropped camera coming down Witherslack. Camera and lens landed face down, large dent in metal rim of filter and chip to filter lens. Fitter at work managed to free filter from lens, pleased to say macro was ok.

Only time I've ever dropped DSRL, thank goodness for filter!

I think they're worth using tbh. Negligible effect on images, and handy to have something that'll break before the lens if dropped.

All good advice from TGS

Dust doesn't even affect image quality much unless a volcano has erupted nearby recently

Smudges from trying to clean lenses do more

Dunno if I agree with that like.

If there's a big spec on a shot then it's usually possible to find the corresponding spec on the lens. Usually worse wide open, and I usually shoot wide open.

I think they're worth using tbh. Negligible effect on images, and handy to have something that'll break before the lens if dropped.

If there's a big spec on a shot then it's usually possible to find the corresponding spec on the lens. Usually worse wide open, and I usually shoot wide open.

Normally dust spots on images are caused by dust on the sensor. If it's on the lens and shows up you must have really dirty glass.

Dust and fluff on the lens is certainly a problem with the kind of work I do - using fisheyes, frequently in bright light or sunlight.

I think this is because you often have oblique light bouncing off the dust and reflecting back into the lens, obviously very near focus on those lenses too.

Using a filter on a wide angle fisheye is of course nigh on impossible, even though I would love to protect the wide expanse of expensive exposed glass on these lenses.

How would you get a spot on the frame from a spot on the lens? It's gonna be dust on the sensor

There might be faint image degradation and flare from dust OC

You could have a fly sitting on the lens and it would still show only as a transparent blur

How would you get a spot on the frame from a spot on the lens? It's gonna be dust on the sensor

There might be faint image degradation and flare from dust OC

You could have a fly sitting on the lens and it would still show only as a transparent blur

Took a few shots the other day and they all had a small black spot in the same place on the frame. Looked at the camera and there was a spec of black fluff on the lens. Removed it, problem solved.

Agree that it's usually dirt on the sensor, but not always.

That's on a rangefinder mind - the lens area is smaller than a DSLR, so that make a difference.

Took a few shots the other day and they all had a small black spot in the same place on the frame. Looked at the camera and there was a spec of black fluff on the lens. Removed it, problem solved.

Agree that it's usually dirt on the sensor, but not always.

That's on a rangefinder mind - the lens area is smaller than a DSLR, so that make a difference.

Coincidence I suspect. Try putting a spot on the lens of your iphone, you'll still get a blurry but complete image with no spot

How do I know you have an iphone spav? lol
You just seem the type ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back