Utilitywise

There's always going to be a market for intermediaries where people can't be arsed to educate themselves and sort out their own affairs, however simple it may be.

The problem is with business energy is that suppliers place their customers on hugely inflated rates at the end of their fixed term and automatically roll them over into a new fixed term at the inflated prices if no action is taken. That can quite easily ruin a business.

Its a massively lucrative industry, and I happen to know that one of Utilitywise's competitors has a picture of Jordan Belfort on the wall. That tells you everything you need to know about the behaviours encouraben by these companies. The whole industry needs a massive shake up and much tighter regulation.
Do they all have a team huddle in the morning and ring a bell when the clinch a deal?

There's always going to be a market for intermediaries where people can't be arsed to educate themselves and sort out their own affairs, however simple it may be.

The problem is with business energy is that suppliers place their customers on hugely inflated rates at the end of their fixed term and automatically roll them over into a new fixed term at the inflated prices if no action is taken. That can quite easily ruin a business.

Its a massively lucrative industry, and I happen to know that one of Utilitywise's competitors has a picture of Jordan Belfort on the wall. That tells you everything you need to know about the behaviours encouraben by these companies. The whole industry needs a massive shake up and much tighter regulation.

Wrong and wrong.

A link to the article with direct quotes from Utilitywise on this has already been posted on this thread.

I have no personal interest in seeing the company fail, and like you I have many good friends working there facing anxious times.

I agree but I don’t think it’s in the governments interest to do so at the minute.

The culture of outbound calling needs a shake up, I get about 10 a day from a stockbrokers I used once.

Paid a lot of inflated wages to get people to move across from other companies (a lot went from where I used to work) and the sales commissions were ridiculous up until a year or so ago.

Always thought the business model was a bit flimsy in the context of the legacy issues that they always seemed to know about but kicked the can down the road.

Very sorry for the people who’s jobs are at risk, fingers crossed they can dig their way out of it but it doesn’t look great.
Yeah- they offered the wife a good package to move across- luckily she turned it down.

Yeah- they offered the wife a good package to move across- luckily she turned it down.

Aye, they were tapping me up as well but I’d heard enough from others who’d already moved across by that point to say no thanks, despite the crazy money.

If it's not too rude to ask,what is considered crazy money in these sorts of places?

Well it depends on the department but the ones I was aware of were in Marketing and Product functions.

There was people who’d be in £30-40k jobs anywhere else in the North East being offered £60k and people who’d be in £60-70k jobs anywhere else in the North East taking home six figures. Never sustainable.

Well it depends on the department but the ones I was aware of were in Marketing and Product functions.

There was people who’d be in £30-40k jobs anywhere else in the North East being offered £60k and people who’d be in £60-70k jobs anywhere else in the North East taking home six figures. Never sustainable.
Oh right. Definitely,very punchy.... Hopefully someone sorts them out,1000 is a hell of a lot of jobs.

Wrong and wrong.

A link to the article with direct quotes from Utilitywise on this has already been posted on this thread.

I have no personal interest in seeing the company fail, and like you I have many good friends working there facing anxious times.

If a business can’t manage a simple diary of when certain contracts are ending I’d say higher energy prices won’t be what ruins them.

Just seen GAS twitter on what’s happening at Utilitywise.Cant decide if they are gloating or not

Course they’ll be gloating. As are the rest. GAS, NGP, green energy advice beureau, utility alliance they’ll all be rubbing their hands.

If it's not too rude to ask,what is considered crazy money in these sorts of places?

Basic wages for decent energy consultants and closers is easily around £50-£70k now.

Add on top of that commission and your not far off easily £130-£150k a year.

Last edited:

Back