Using mobile phone abroad.

Cheers. One last thing. Paying £3 gives me 1 gig a day . Is that enough data to use the phone as a sat nav . Maybe around 6 journeys a day for no longer than 40 mins each time.
Don't use Google maps - get something like Navmi and download the entire maps you need before you go. Then you won't use any data at all
Change to 3: free international roaming for most countries that you would tend to visit. I love it, never have to worry about any snidey charges when I am on holiday. They have good SIM only deals too which could be an option.
Ah thought Canada was included, I knew America was since it’s what I used last time I was there
Yep, me too - USA is great on 3. I was surprised Canada isn't included to, but seems it isnt.

Don't use Google maps - get something like Navmi and download the entire maps you need before you go. Then you won't use any data at all

Yep, me too - USA is great on 3. I was surprised Canada isn't included to, but seems it isnt.
Maybe I should have read the earlier post first!

Go to Walmart,get a SIM from there,pay-as-you-go,i did that last month,i paid $20 CAD.
This. If you’re going to Canada first then get a Bell SIM card and they will do a US bolt on.
I’m not sure if 3 still offer a world service. They did have the US as one of the countries that was inclusive, it didn’t include Canada though.
Canada is the biggest rip off in the world for cell phones prices.

This. If you’re going to Canada first then get a Bell SIM card and they will do a US bolt on.
I’m not sure if 3 still offer a world service. They did have the US as one of the countries that was inclusive, it didn’t include Canada though.
Canada is the biggest rip off in the world for cell phones prices.
The guy in Bell was the one who actually told me to go to Walmart,i was having a chat with him as his dad was from the UK,he said save your cash and get a month SIM from Walmart.

I guess they still do it. I never had any issues with 3 while in the states.

There’s a monopoly on the cell towers in Canada. They’re looking to change the law but it’s taking its time. It’s so expensive.
My current contract is 2 years at $90. I get unlimited calls and texts with 10gb data with no handset. Before this contract I was still getting charged to receive calls ffs

Cheers. One last thing. Paying £3 gives me 1 gig a day . Is that enough data to use the phone as a sat nav . Maybe around 6 journeys a day for no longer than 40 mins each time.
As has already been said, you should be able to download the maps while on wifi. Sat Nav does not need to use any data. Can definitely do this on Android phones.

The guy in Bell was the one who actually told me to go to Walmart,i was having a chat with him as his dad was from the UK,he said save your cash and get a month SIM from Walmart.
I’ve just looked and it seems like every province is different. Looking at it Manitoba has the best deals with Bell.
It’s more the open border I like. I can take all my calls, texts and data with me

Bit thick when it comes to technology. I'm going to Canada for a few days and the USA for 11 days.
Got in touch with Virgin my provider, they want £3 a day for 1 gig of data whether I use it or not plus extra for calls etc. I was going to use my phone as a Sat nav while there is 1 gig a day enough to do this. Also a lot of the things we will be doing have already been paid for and e tickets sent to my phone .The Virgin rep said I wont be able to access them without getting the data.
Is 1 gig enough and £3 a day fair or are there better ways of doing it. Cheers in advance.

At least you’ll get a signal unlike a lot of the time over here.

You don't need to use data to access your location and use your phone as a satnav.

If you use the tomtom app, you just need to have the app downloaded and the maps you're needing downloaded. I'm not sure on other apps, but they're likely the same or similar.

I've done this a few times with my data and wifi turned off.

This. I use Navmii when I’m abroad and it’s spot on download before you go, no data required.
You don't need to use data to access your location and use your phone as a satnav.

If you use the tomtom app, you just need to have the app downloaded and the maps you're needing downloaded. I'm not sure on other apps, but they're likely the same or similar.

I've done this a few times with my data and wifi turned off.
Didn’t realise tomtom had an app. Surely it can’t be free?

Aye mate, google maps will use nowhere near that per day.

Rather than mess on I would always just do this, small price to pay for convenience IMO!

Just returned from Canada yesterday. I downloaded the Vancouver area on google maps and it got me everywhere. No problem. As for data, didn’t have a problem as most places allow free public access. You may have to register with your email address but we coped ok.

I used data (maps not an official satnav) to get from Sunderland Coastline to Biker and it hardly used any data on a payg sim so I don't think looking and navigating a map uses much data at all.

Back