Using mobile phone abroad.

blf

Striker
Bit thick when it comes to technology. I'm going to Canada for a few days and the USA for 11 days.
Got in touch with Virgin my provider, they want £3 a day for 1 gig of data whether I use it or not plus extra for calls etc. I was going to use my phone as a Sat nav while there is 1 gig a day enough to do this. Also a lot of the things we will be doing have already been paid for and e tickets sent to my phone .The Virgin rep said I wont be able to access them without getting the data.
Is 1 gig enough and £3 a day fair or are there better ways of doing it. Cheers in advance.

Get a three 30 day rolling sim. They let you use your allowance over there as if you were at home.
That’s exactly what I did when I went to the States in June...so that would be my suggestion too

If you do this make sure your handset isn’t locked to your provider or ask them for an unlock code. I believe your handset needs to have been registered for certain time period before they will let you do this.
No mate,I bought my phone open to any network in the UK,took my normal SIM out and popped the canuck SIM in worked fine,did the same with a Nepalese SIM last November,

Bit thick when it comes to technology. I'm going to Canada for a few days and the USA for 11 days.
Got in touch with Virgin my provider, they want £3 a day for 1 gig of data whether I use it or not plus extra for calls etc. I was going to use my phone as a Sat nav while there is 1 gig a day enough to do this. Also a lot of the things we will be doing have already been paid for and e tickets sent to my phone .The Virgin rep said I wont be able to access them without getting the data.
Is 1 gig enough and £3 a day fair or are there better ways of doing it. Cheers in advance.
I am with Vodafone and when traveling to the USA this year the charges seemed quite high so I rang them. They said I could go on another contact that included all my package and it included North America. And the best think was it was an extra £5 a month and o could downgrade the month later! And I did just that...

Change to 3: free international roaming for most countries that you would tend to visit. I love it, never have to worry about any snidey charges when I am on holiday. They have good SIM only deals too which could be an option.

Cheers. One last thing. Paying £3 gives me 1 gig a day . Is that enough data to use the phone as a sat nav . Maybe around 6 journeys a day for no longer than 40 mins each time.

Back