Used Car Problems

houst69

Striker
Further to my recent post about my Suzuki Grand Vitara f***ing up I am after some advice.

I purchased a car in October last year from Redburn Motor Company in Blyth.

Started driving it in November after my driving ban was up.

Just before Christmas had the DPF warning light and Diesel Injector Warning light show up on the dashboard, car went into limp mode on the bastard motorway.

Anyway, took it to a local garage, he re-generated the DPF and sorted the warning lights. Cost me £50 for this

Diesel Injector Warning light appeared again last weekend, took it to garage again, needed new glow plugs and another re-generation another £157.

This morning the f***ing Diesel Injection Warning light flicked on and off on the way to work, and when I came home from work stayed on permanently, so off to the garage again, they plugged it in and said the fault code was DPF blockage. Give me 3 options, burn it down the motorway to Catterick and back to re-gen again, take the car back to the garage and let them take filter out, clean it and take it back to 70% cleanliness or install a new one which will be costly.

Obviously I took the first option and drove like I stole it down the motorway. It's stayed off.

Anyhoo, I paid £6,500 for this and paid cash, I have been in touch with the garage and they have told me that the car needs at least one hour per week run down the motorway at constant speeds to re-gen the filter.

I asked the original garage if they would take it back and fix the problem, basically got fucked off.

He then asked me about my driving habits. Basically gan to work at Aycliffe each day and back. Me being me, I know fuck all about cars and just bought one that looked canny and I could easily get in and out of due to hip problems, was told that diesels were the best to buy by a mate.

What I am trying to say is that I should have some consumer rights regarding my original purchase, it seems the car is permanently off road, what rights do I have? does anyone know the crack with consumer rights etc?

Further to my recent post about my Suzuki Grand Vitara f***ing up I am after some advice.

I purchased a car in October last year from Redburn Motor Company in Blyth.

Started driving it in November after my driving ban was up.

Just before Christmas had the DPF warning light and Diesel Injector Warning light show up on the dashboard, car went into limp mode on the bastard motorway.

Anyway, took it to a local garage, he re-generated the DPF and sorted the warning lights. Cost me £50 for this

Diesel Injector Warning light appeared again last weekend, took it to garage again, needed new glow plugs and another re-generation another £157.

This morning the f***ing Diesel Injection Warning light flicked on and off on the way to work, and when I came home from work stayed on permanently, so off to the garage again, they plugged it in and said the fault code was DPF blockage. Give me 3 options, burn it down the motorway to Catterick and back to re-gen again, take the car back to the garage and let them take filter out, clean it and take it back to 70% cleanliness or install a new one which will be costly.

Obviously I took the first option and drove like I stole it down the motorway. It's stayed off.

Anyhoo, I paid £6,500 for this and paid cash, I have been in touch with the garage and they have told me that the car needs at least one hour per week run down the motorway at constant speeds to re-gen the filter.

I asked the original garage if they would take it back and fix the problem, basically got fucked off.

He then asked me about my driving habits. Basically gan to work at Aycliffe each day and back. Me being me, I know fuck all about cars and just bought one that looked canny and I could easily get in and out of due to hip problems, was told that diesels were the best to buy by a mate.

What I am trying to say is that I should have some consumer rights regarding my original purchase, it seems the car is permanently off road, what rights do I have? does anyone know the crack with consumer rights etc?
What were you banned for?

Sounds right to be honest. It'll need to regen. Have a run out every week. Probably cheaper. Or sell it and get a petrol.

Could be wrong but i think your rights with a used car is only three months.

With regards to the regen, as advised on your last thread, contact Suzuki for the correct regen procedure. An hour a week down the motorway is bullshit but you need to know how often a regen occurs, how you know if a regen has been interrupted and what the regen procedure is. You’ll probably find it’s something like drive for 20 mins, with the vehicle at operating temp, about 2000rpm every 500 miles. The injector light is probably notifying you it needs a regen, injector light and limp is telling you the filter is at saturation point.

I’d suggest getting it cleaned as a minimum to get the saturation level down and ready to start driving it as per the manufacturers guidelines.

If you fulfil the conditions laid out by the manufacturer you’ll not notice it has a DPF. The other thing I’d be careful of (and forgive me as I’m not sure on the DPF system fitted to a Suzuki) but if it’s injector fed you’ll need an urgent oil change as the failed regens will have filled the sump with diesel.

Your rights, in terms of warranty you’ll only get what was specified at the time of purchase. You statutory is the standard sales of goods (depending on how you purchased it). There are loopholes such as them not supplying you the T&C’s of purchase at time of purchase. But that would be a stressful court case. As the fault wasn’t present for over a month I’d argue you’ve not got a leg to stand on regarding a pre-existing fault.

The only other route you could possibly take is that it was missold but that’s hard to prove to.

If you don’t get any luck, try the motor ombudsman for support.

TL;DR

As @Goat Eyes said, you will probably need to change the oil.

Some cars can be a pain in the arse with this and can set off the dpf light by having too much oil. This can also cause dieseling and you dont want that to happen ;)

Modern diesels with dpf are a waste of time unless you do regular motorway miles.

Serves you right iirc

Cheers mate

With regards to the regen, as advised on your last thread, contact Suzuki for the correct regen procedure. An hour a week down the motorway is bullshit but you need to know how often a regen occurs, how you know if a regen has been interrupted and what the regen procedure is. You’ll probably find it’s something like drive for 20 mins, with the vehicle at operating temp, about 2000rpm every 500 miles. The injector light is probably notifying you it needs a regen, injector light and limp is telling you the filter is at saturation point.

I’d suggest getting it cleaned as a minimum to get the saturation level down and ready to start driving it as per the manufacturers guidelines.

If you fulfil the conditions laid out by the manufacturer you’ll not notice it has a DPF. The other thing I’d be careful of (and forgive me as I’m not sure on the DPF system fitted to a Suzuki) but if it’s injector fed you’ll need an urgent oil change as the failed regens will have filled the sump with diesel.

Your rights, in terms of warranty you’ll only get what was specified at the time of purchase. You statutory is the standard sales of goods (depending on how you purchased it). There are loopholes such as them not supplying you the T&C’s of purchase at time of purchase. But that would be a stressful court case. As the fault wasn’t present for over a month I’d argue you’ve not got a leg to stand on regarding a pre-existing fault.

The only other route you could possibly take is that it was missold but that’s hard to prove to.

If you don’t get any luck, try the motor ombudsman for support.

TL;DR

Thanks, helpful. How much you looking at for a filter clean?

Last edited:
Don't be tight and sit in 4th gear at 30mph all the way to work, give it some welly.
Father in law did this with a zafira a few years ago, turbo diesel, went like stink. Just the once though cos the rest of the time he was rattling on about how many mpg he got on his 4mile drive to work that he'd do at 25-30mph. He paid to get the filter changed (think it was about £400 back then) then flogged the car.

Back