USA Cinemas

When the Bond film "The Spy Who Loved Me" first showed, there was a moment when Roger Moore skied off a cliff, only for his Union Jack parachute to open as he started falling.

This got a massive cheer in the Odeon at Sunderland. I think this was the start of the Brexit movement.

When the first Rocky film came out, about 6 of us went to see it at the pictures. When it finished we all came out and ran down the street doing a Rocky training scene.

I remember when everyone used to bang their feet in a rumble when the picture was about to start.
Anyone remember the pearl and dean....bap par ba ba bap par par...bap par ba ba parrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....dum. :)

Got dragged to Newcastle in the 70s to see Love Story, this was before multiplexes and had to queue for ages to get in. The cinema was packed and the film was getting near the end where Ali Macgraw is lying seriously ill, it was very tense and watched in absolute silence, when a lass shouted out in a wailing voice “she’s going to die!” The whole place erupted into laughter and the film was ruined.

I went to see the Metallica film a couple of weeks back. Was quite odd, because they allowed people to have drinks so people were up and down all the way through. I didn't mind, and had a few myself. Then some people were singing about and towards the end a couple of blokes were pretty drunk and jumping about.

Quite liked it actually.

I went to see Mamma Mia 2 in Montreal and the women next to me were both singing along throughout. The people on my other side were rolling their eyes and tutting. I'm sorry, but if you are going to watch an ABBA musical at the cinema, you can't expect people not to sing along.

This kid, must've been about 8 or 9 years old, jumped up during Toy Story 4 and shouted "Fuck you Forky", then the kid's mam said "Nice one son that little plastic fork isn't fit to lace Woody's boots" and they did a high-five.

Well for one Forky wasn't even on the screen and for two nobody should be lacing Woody's boots because there's a snake in them.

Worked in Kolkata for a long period this year, and nothing surprises me. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and the people are so kind and caring in there own way, but the whole thing is bonkers. Despite getting driven everywhere I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown with the traffic system.
I was in Chennai for a week with work in February and it was mental. The 2 others I was out with had been before and made me sit in the front with the driver, which I quickly named “The Danger Zone”.

We were taken out for a meal by the place we were visiting and the MD of the organisation (who is one of the leading diabetologists and cardiologists in Asia) showed us all a gore video someone had sent him on his phone whilst we were waiting for our starters!

Yes, very common in Canadian cinemas, too.
I saw the second Alien film in Toronto on it's opening day. It was like a rock concert. When Burke the company man got his just deserts people were standing on their seats cheering. Pretty amazing experience tbf.

I was well into it, I must admit. Mind the swig of juice I had off some kids who laced it with god knows how much LSD helped with the process.

In the 90s I went to the pictures while we were in Florida. I went to see a film called 'How to be a Player' and my parents went to see 'Air Force One'. The screen I was in was 95% black people and they all kept shouting things at the main character in the hope that they could stop him getting caught out by his girlfriend.

I thought that was just a one-off scenario but I had to sit-in on the end of Air Force One while I waited for my parents and there were people actually stood up with their right hand over their heart. It seems that they felt patriotic enough about a film to think they owed it to the president to stand when he made a speech.

Anyone remember the pearl and dean....bap par ba ba bap par par...bap par ba ba parrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....dum. :)

Yeah, I used to have it play before watching a film on Kodi. The novelty quickly wore off!
I went to see the Metallica film a couple of weeks back. Was quite odd, because they allowed people to have drinks so people were up and down all the way through. I didn't mind, and had a few myself. Then some people were singing about and towards the end a couple of blokes were pretty drunk and jumping about.

Quite liked it actually.

I was at the boldon one. The seats in there are awful! So uncomfortable to the point you have to keep shuffling your arse and it distracts from what you're watching. Mind, I got canny bored in the middle of it.

Highlight was going for a high 5 and being awkwardly left hanging

Last edited:
When I was about 14, one of my mates spread a rumour that I stood up crying when Bruce Willis died and shouted “Noooooooo!”

A few years later (when we were about 19 or 20) I was on a night out and we were talking about films. Someone we were out with turned to me and, completely seriously, said “You cried at Armageddon didn’t you?”. Cue much hilarity from me and my mate who had started the rumour.

Slightly worryingly, the lad who believed it is now a Superintendent in CID.

I can remember being at the cinema late 70s, early 80s and there was always mild cheering/applause when the classification card came up just before the film actually started.

Back