Us open golf

Coverage has been poor aye, and Bryson is a berk.

But he has been absolutely, outrageously good today. Like, peak- Tiger levels to shoot under par today when nobody else was under par, in this pressure, deserves real respect.

As for it changing the game, I’m not sure about that as it is already very slanted at the bombers. For all the talk of the US Open being all about “test all facets” and “can’t get in the rough”, the last five winners are all absolutely “smack it hard and far as a fuck” bombers.

Like, there’s a lot more to their game but US Opens are generally won by the biggest and strongest of the elite.

The US Open certainly always wasn't won by the biggest and strongest of the elite until recently. Take a look at the list of winners. Kaymer, Glover, McDowell, Furyk, Campbell. All pretty recent winners and none of them would fall into that category.

Bryson was impressive today, you have to give him credit for that but it is a pretty painful watch.

Last edited:

The US Open certainly always wasn't won by the biggest and strongest of the elite until recently. Take a look at the list of winners. Kaymer, Glover, McDowell, Furyk, Campbell. All pretty recent winners and none of them would fall into that category.

Bryson was impressive today, you have to give him credit for that but it is a pretty painful watch.

Apologies I meant recently. The last five are all bombers - the game has changed, Bryson is just reacting to it.

Feel it’s a bit harsh for everyone (not on here, but on twitter etc...) seem to be slating him for it. He’s just adjusted his game to give himself the best chance of success, and he’s done it incredibly well. Credit to him.

He’s still a tit mind.

agree it’s not fun to watch mind, I never particularly enjoy watching the likes of Koepka (who’s game is the one Bryson was clearly inspired by) and that either.

I suppose tbf today wasn’t helped by the chasing pack being so far behind it took the sting out. If there was five or six in contention would have been much better (like the USPGA, which was brilliant viewing imho).

Last edited:
Just checked and interesting to note the USPGA thread had 60 odd more posts than this one despite it being a west coast major which finished at daft o'clock. Not sure where the game goes from here, wide and narrow fairways all favour the big hitters. The last 6 winners of the 'ultimate test' have been bombers who are more than happy to hit a short iron out of ruff if needs be. Really not sure what you can do about.

For a decade or so now golfers fitness levels and equipment means they are knocking the ball so far they have completely changed the game for the worse. How can you have a championship par 5 reduced to a drive and short iron? I was interested in some of the commentators comments to reduce the hardness of the ball (Compression ratio) to reduce distance on shots. Golf is more interesting to watch when players have to think about they options (long shot to miss water or sand hazard with risk or play short and rely on short game).

It’s why the masters and the open are a better watch, masters because of the water and the green run off, open because the wind can change the way the course plays

Last edited:
It’s daft. He committed himself to getting hench as fuck so he could bomb the ball, he didn’t break any rules or cheat in any way. It’s fashionable to shit on him though for people in the game.
aye, thats what I was thinking, did read an article about him few weeks ago and was explaining his bulking, he's gone and won a major and people are crying foul ( i'm not a golfer I hasten to add, just seemed a bit churlish to criticise )

aye, thats what I was thinking, did read an article about him few weeks ago and was explaining his bulking, he's gone and won a major and people are crying foul ( i'm not a golfer I hasten to add, just seemed a bit churlish to criticise )
The skill that’s going into what he’s doing is astounding imo. To swing that quickly and still maintain the correct swing plain and get the club face where it needs to be is very impressive. I’m happy that he’ll shut koepka up for a bit at least.

just waiting for someone to say “alright Bryson” :lol:

Last edited:
Apologies I meant recently. The last five are all bombers - the game has changed, Bryson is just reacting to it.

Feel it’s a bit harsh for everyone (not on here, but on twitter etc...) seem to be slating him for it. He’s just adjusted his game to give himself the best chance of success, and he’s done it incredibly well. Credit to him.

He’s still a tit mind.

agree it’s not fun to watch mind, I never particularly enjoy watching the likes of Koepka (who’s game is the one Bryson was clearly inspired by) and that either.

I suppose tbf today wasn’t helped by the chasing pack being so far behind it took the sting out. If there was five or six in contention would have been much better (like the USPGA, which was brilliant viewing imho).

Like I said last night, the coverage didn't help at all in terms of enjoyment.

Even though there was only ever two players in contention, there was no need to make it virtually featured group coverage. When you add in the fact that both players in that group are painfully slow, play in the same style and play every non par 3 the same way, it didn't make for good viewing at all.

That being said, some of the personal criticism towards Dechambeau has been ridiculous. Love our loath his style, he's executing his gameplan to perfection.

Back