US open golf thread

My picks are:

Koepka: his major performances are unreal.

Spieth: form finally getting back to where it should be, putting has been fantastic lately.

Fowler: he's been there or thereabouts a lot recently, that first major win is only a matter of time.

Casey: looked great at Pebble in February, it's a course that suits him and I get the feeling he's got a major in him.

Backed 6 with my own money, all to ten places.

DJ 9/1ish
Xander 26/1
Matsuyama 29/1
Simpson 40/1
Snedeker 50/1
Leishman 66/1

Found a few free spins in a random account (Fansbet, who the fuck?) and won £8 which needed turning over, so stuck that on Fleetwood ew @33/1, 7 places. Like the look of him but he hasn't played for a month so didn't want to use my own money on it, so happy to use that.

Few other specials on players making/missing the cut and 3-balls, but that's my main bets.

Should be a cracking few days like, shame about the time difference but when GMac won here sure I remember it was about 1am it finished (may has misremembered mind), so not *too* late to stay up, i'l be doing my best to stay up. Great course Pebble Beach.

Koepka for me, the man is a a beast for these. I think that is where all his prep is, just for the majors. Not sure he will ever do the British though.

If not him a first timer from nowhere or someone like Kaymer to finish it off. He's been doing fine as of late, some good top 10's.

Should be good though, I'll get to watch it in the pub this weekend, a weekend long trip to NY starting tomorrow, some golf, some good food, plenty of drink with mates and a Sunday evening watching the final round........... pathetic, yup ;) :lol:
At least Koepka has played over here though, so I still think he has a chance at the Open.

Canny weekend enjoy

Looking forward to this, love the 7th par 3. Wonderful course would always love to see a brit win it, but koepka is the man to beat.

What a feat if he won three US opens in a row.

Justin Thomas for me...if he's back to full fitness then Pebble Beach should suit his game.

Gone £20 ew at 30/1 instead of splitting my bets so fully expecting him to miss the cut.

Is it fact about a golfer playing better at a certain type of course? to me it just sounds daft when certain people like Mcginley say he plays a much better game on long pars or he plays better on links courses, they are golfers and any course should be playable. Gone EW on Apibarnrat

Is it fact about a golfer playing better at a certain type of course? to me it just sounds daft when certain people like Mcginley say he plays a much better game on long pars or he plays better on links courses, they are golfers and any course should be playable. Gone EW on Apibarnrat

Definitely makes a different, they each have different skills and whilst they're obviously very good all around, at elite level they have certain things they aren't as good at.

For example, a long course (like Bethpage Black) tends to suit bombers and big hitters, so players who hit it shorter (Kisner, Furyk, Webb Simpson, Molinari) may not perform as well.

Links courses require the ability to deal with windy/atmospheric conditions. Certain courses with narrow fairways need a play who can carefully plot their way round accurately - distance matter less - or one who is very good at scrambling.

Even the type of greens make a difference - some players excel on Poa-Anna (no idea on spelling), some on Bentgrass.

Part of what makes betting on it fun I feel - like a puzzle working out who it will suit, who will go well etc....

I reckon so like, I always think the Americans struggle more over here because they are used to more perfect conditions over there.

I reckon so like, I always think the Americans struggle more over here because they are used to more perfect conditions over there.
A lot of the American courses are like target golf, watered greens receptive to iron shots so the shots are straight into the green with spin that holds the ball. The Open is on links with often harder greens and fairways, strong winds so the shots often need to be lower with some run on the ball. Links courses are less predictable in the way the ball goes after landing

The top Americans work it out quickly, some of them struggle though

There are certain course were l live which l don't play well, one particularly doesn't suit my natural fade at all. I would play it tomorrow if the rain stopped because it's a good challenge. Guess it must be the same with the pro's.

Molinari is one that comes to mind who can plot his way around a course along with Langer who was good at it.

Back