US gripe with Huawei

There are definitely some inconsistencies in their Android implementations which mean our secure Android apps have issues when running Android Enterprise on them. This is not unique to Huawei, we also see it on other Chinese models eg Xiaomi. It could be merely down to them having tentative links with Google as the Chinese government ban access to Google apps through “the Great Firewall”, it may be something more sinister which is only detected when trying to implement the additional security features of AE.

I’m at a Google partner event over the next couple of days so I should imagine there’ll be a number of off the record conversations taking place.

It's interesting that Huawei already use their own version of Android (EMUI) although I suspect that is largely just a modified user interface. Obviously Android itself is open source, so nothing can be done to stop them continuing to use that. The problems are the Google Play Store and Play Services, without which everything becomes non-functional and obviously they are Google proprietary.

I hate Google's stranglehold on everything anyway, it would be nice to see some alternative OS come out of this, but such is the dominance I don't know how that could happen.

It's interesting that Huawei already use their own version of Android (EMUI) although I suspect that is largely just a modified user interface. Obviously Android itself is open source, so nothing can be done to stop them continuing to use that. The problems are the Google Play Store and Play Services, without which everything becomes non-functional and obviously they are Google proprietary.

I hate Google's stranglehold on everything anyway, it would be nice to see some alternative OS come out of this, but such is the dominance I don't know how that could happen.
Android and Apple platforms are here to stay, but would be interesting if the Chinese (G B of L) went in another direction.

I used to use Symbian and it was decent, but Sony and Nokia alone were never going to be enough to sustain it.

Back