US gripe with Huawei

Does anybody really believe that this is about security and Chinese Trojan spies.....

Or is it really just about the US desperately trying to keep its No 1 position ?

Within 10 years I reckon the Chinese will be the top technology nation for computing , telecoms and electric transport. It's already made great inroads.....

The Guardian view on Google versus Huawei: no winners | Editorial

No I don't believe it. You are correct in identifying it's an American attempt to contain China's technological ascendancy and shut it out of western markets.

The "national security" line is just a narrative, a set of opportunistic claims utilized to quash its oppression. For that reason it has in practice gained so little traction internationally, the media have blown it well out of proportion.

Prior to this move the Trump administration spent months aggressively lobbying countries around the world to ban Huawei, only to have Australia actually follow suit and everyone in Europe ignore them. It is because they have been ignored that they have essentially went nuclear on the company by blacklisting it from U.S tech supply chains.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are definitely some inconsistencies in their Android implementations which mean our secure Android apps have issues when running Android Enterprise on them. This is not unique to Huawei, we also see it on other Chinese models eg Xiaomi. It could be merely down to them having tentative links with Google as the Chinese government ban access to Google apps through “the Great Firewall”, it may be something more sinister which is only detected when trying to implement the additional security features of AE.

I’m at a Google partner event over the next couple of days so I should imagine there’ll be a number of off the record conversations taking place.

There are definitely some inconsistencies in their Android implementations which mean our secure Android apps have issues when running Android Enterprise on them. This is not unique to Huawei, we also see it on other Chinese models eg Xiaomi. It could be merely down to them having tentative links with Google as the Chinese government ban access to Google apps through “the Great Firewall”, it may be something more sinister which is only detected when trying to implement the additional security features of AE.

I’m at a Google partner event over the next couple of days so I should imagine there’ll be a number of off the record conversations taking place.

Which you'll pass onto the good and great of the SMB via this thread

The US blinked and granted a 90 day extension to allow companies including Google to carry on trading as usual. If you have a Huawei phone as it stands today you have till August to continue accessing Google Play, Google apps and receive Android security patches.

Google were pretty committal this morning, saying the situation was fluid and they were just playing it by ear, but for now it's business as usual but with big question marks hovering over the future.

Off the record, the people I spoke with, some pretty high up in Android security, were hedging their bets but saying they thought it was political rather than security concerns.

US 'underestimates' Huawei, founder says

Last edited:
I think they are blaming the Chinese firms for doing exactly what Google and the like have been doing for years, they are all watching us.

After the chaos caused by, or via, American internet companies over recent years I don't know how they dare criticize anyone else. But then again Trump is probably only where he is because of lax US internet companies. I'm not sure whether Trump is using security to revive US trade / productivity or he's using trade / productivity to keep the US ahead in security issues. Either way, long term, I don't see the US halting Chinese progress for long.

There’s obviously some dodgepots that can do this and this is shown with the WhatsApp thing this month but wasn’t the initial frightening about what “could” happen?
All Chinese companies are legally bound to help their government. So are we going to stop them all?

I think they are blaming the Chinese firms for doing exactly what Google and the like have been doing for years, they are all watching us.

I work on the general assumption they're all watching us - that we're carrying around a nice little electronic bug and tracker when we bought into the whole mobile phone thing... and that I'm so bloody boring I'm of no interest whatsoever to them.

The Trump vs Huawei thing is just the orange toddler waving his willy about as usual trying to appeal to the xenophobe contingent that he's making America awesome fuck yeah (friend's husband is a right Trump-loving idiot who swallows all this up hook line and sinker- the type being targeted by all of this)

There’s obviously some dodgepots that can do this and this is shown with the WhatsApp thing this month but wasn’t the initial frightening about what “could” happen?
All Chinese companies are legally bound to help their government. So are we going to stop them all?
But that was some Israelis so it's OK, imagine the fuss if it was the Russians.

Does anybody really believe that this is about security and Chinese Trojan spies.....

Or is it really just about the US desperately trying to keep its No 1 position ?

Within 10 years I reckon the Chinese will be the top technology nation for computing , telecoms and electric transport. It's already made great inroads.....

The Guardian view on Google versus Huawei: no winners | Editorial

Bit of both in my opinion.

The one thing I am not getting with the UK argument is that we don’t want to use Huawei for the new 5g network because of the risk. However our main infrastructure and much of the fibre network already uses and is dependent on Huawei kit. Why isn’t that a problem?

Last edited:

Back