US Fighter Jet Crashes into North Sea

I can remember seeing a fighter crash into the sea when we were in Scarborough on the beach one day.

This one:

As in they make a decision not to? Do you know if that's a training thing?

I know that in the UK it's hammered into them that they're more important than any aircraft. Point it in as safe a direction as you can and get out. Not sure what the Americans do. Maybe it's a cultural thing.

Is a pilot relieved of their duty if they crash/ditch/eject?
Like, is it 1 crash and you're not allowed back in the cockpit again, or are they back flying ASAP?
Genuine question

Is a pilot relieved of their duty if they crash/ditch/eject?
Like, is it 1 crash and you're not allowed back in the cockpit again, or are they back flying ASAP?
Genuine question
Depends on circumstances.

I know a couple of jet jockeys who have ejected twice.

Training a fast jet pilot is a very expensive thing so you don't want to throw away all that training just because of an ejection. (Something you are trained to do as part of the expensive training)

Ejection is a pretty brutal thing to happen to you, so after two ejections you normally stop flying because of the cumulative impact on your spinal column.

Last edited:

Ejection is a pretty brutal thing to happen to you, so after two ejections you normally stop flying because of the cumulative impact on your spinal column.

Wow I never even considered it could injure you with additional g force.
Thanks mate

Training a fast jet pilot is a very expensive thing so you don't want to throw away all that training just because of an ejection. (Something you are trained to do as part of the expensive training)

being killed in a plane crash must be a tad more brutal though.

excuse my ignorance, but with all modern gadgetry that the USAF use, how can flying in fog over open water be hazardous? other than you can't see where you are going
Instrument malfunction, look at those Boeing 737s that crashed because the instruments thought the plane was climbing at too steep an angle so made it dive. If that happens in fog the pilot can lose all bearings and sense of which direction he's going. I doubt F15s have a system like that, but if the avionics trip out or give a false reading the pilot has got no visual feedback to check them until he's out of the cloud and if you do that at the wrong angle at the speed they're travelling you've got no chance.

Last edited:
I was working when the last one went in - F18 from Lakenheath crashed on departure. The rest of the formation had no idea he was missing until they got onto the tanker and we had to tell them.
I ended up on crash guard for the F15 that boffed in near Spalding about 5 years ago, the pilot managed to eject that time. 3 weeks on 24 hour shifts living in a tent and eating compo rations. Never again, thanks.

Back