Upskirting

Taking photos of women in public places without them knowing, for the purposes of going home and furiously reviewing them. A modern consequence of inventing phones that can take pictures while the user is pretending to post on here, for example. Probably invented by the Japanese.

Women do it as well.

He has a fair point mind, there’s a handful of mp’s attending the bill hearing which the consequences of which can result in someone’s life being severely affected with a prison sentence. The bill should be debated properly, it’s a fair enough bill but if there’s a prison sentence attached to it then it’s vital it receives proper vetting instead of letting an in vogue topic be pushed into law on the whim of a few campaigners.

Sir Christopher is a leading member of a group of backbench Conservatives who make a practice of ensuring that what they see as well-meaning but flabby legislation is not lazily plopped on to the statue book by a few MPs on a poorly attended Friday sitting.

And after all this is a bill to create a new criminal offence, for which people can go to jail.

So, however worthy the cause, he insists on proper, extensive scrutiny, and he has spent most Commons Fridays for the last 20 years doing just that.

Indeed, a few minutes before he blocked the upskirting bill, he was forcing a delay to the final debate on the Mental Health Units (Use of Force) Bill, or Seni's Law, which also had strong support from the government.

The upskirting bill is not dead - there will be other opportunities to get it a formal second reading debate - but they will only succeed if Sir Christopher and his allies can be persuaded not to object again.

The only other alternative is for the government to provide debating time for it, or, far more likely, to add the proposals to a bill of their own.

Handfuls of MPs turning up in the Commons is a more usual state of affairs than people think. It's only when the whips demand attendance that the chamber fills up.

I hear what you're saying, however, the upskirting issue has been a problem since smartphones and digital cameras became popular in the late noughties. I would therefore say that an amendment to the law is way overdue when it is clear the action is wrong. The new bill has been raised by a back bencher, has government backing and on reading the bill the vast majority of MPs don't have an issue. The purpose of the bill is to remove ambiguity from the current law and give clear legal guidance to the judiciary and the police on how to act. What is there to debate when no-one is really disputing the content?

Our interesting character of a Tory MP has an interesting record as detailed elsewhere in this thread and I think he is being a plonker because he can. If he had an issue, why didn't he discuss his reservations there and then at the reading of the bill and / or table an amendment forcing further discussion rather than say "I object" to stop it's passage?

I think common sense will largely prevail to be honest with this. If the bill is passed, then the Home Office can give sensible guidance to sentencing to the judiciary. A prison sentence is only really going to be handed down to the most serious repeat or perpetual offenders. I don't see kids being stupid, pratting about with their mates with a mobile phone (still wrong) on what is probably a one-off offence getting anymore than community service or at worst a suspended sentence unless there is a serious violation of privacy. Most will only face a caution from the police if it's a first offence.

The point is passing the bill will make a clear statement via law that upskirting is unacceptable, hopefully making people think about their actions.

If application of the law reveals the need for further amendment, this can be considered in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
On 10 February 2009, he called for the minimum wage to be abolished. His Employment Opportunities Bill, which would, according to Chope, introduce more freedom to the job market and decrease unemployment, was backed by ten other Conservative MPs at the first reading, among them Edward Leigh, David Wilshire, Nigel Evans, Bill Cash and Peter Bone.

Later that year, in the expenses scandal, it emerged that Chope claimed £136,992 in parliamentary expenses in 2007/08. This included claiming £881 to repair a sofa.[6]

On 12 March 2010, he was responsible for the blocking of a bill to protect poor countries from "vulture funds", despite his party's support for the bill.[7]

In October 2010, Chope helped host a meeting of climate-science sceptics at Westminster.[8]

On 11 October 2011, Chope raised an eleventh-hour objection to the Hillsborough debate taking place because he believed a debate about MPs' pensions was more important. Cries of "shame" echoed around the chamber and Labour MP Jamie Reed said that the perpetrator should be "named and shamed" for raising the objection.[9]

Chope helped to lead backbench support for the motion calling for a European Referendum. He has also been heavily involved in the use of private member's bills to achieve this aim.[10]

Chope came under fire in January 2013 for referring to some staff in the House of Commons as "servants". Parallels were drawn between this opinion and his views on the minimum wage.[11]

Chope voted against the legislation for same-sex marriage in 2013.[12]

In June 2013 Chope was one of four MPs who camped outside Parliament in a move to facilitate parliamentary debate on what they called an "Alternative Queen’s Speech" – an attempt to show what a future Conservative government might deliver.[13] 42 policies were listed including reintroduction of the death penalty and conscription, privatizing the BBC, banning the burka in public places and preparation to leave the European Union.[13] The Daily Telegraph believed the whips sent Edward Leigh to try and persuade the group not to table the amendments.[13]

In December 2013 Chope objected[14][15] to the second reading of the Alan Turing (Statutory Pardon) Bill in the House of Commons. Because of this, the Government decided to act under the royal prerogative of mercy. On 24 December 2013 Queen Elizabeth II granted Turing a free pardon.[16][17]

On 28 November 2014 Chope, a private landlord, filibustered a Liberal Democrat bill with cross party support intended to make revenge evictions an offence.[18]

In 2014 Chope along with six other Conservative Party MPs voted against the Equal Pay (Transparency) Bill which would require all companies with more than 250 employees to declare the gap in pay between the average male and average female salaries.[19]

He came under criticism in late 2014 for repeatedly blocking a bill that would ban the use of wild animals in circus performances, justifying his actions by saying "The EU Membership Costs and Benefits bill should have been called by the clerk before the circuses bill, so I raised a point of order".[20]

In October 2015, Chope joined fellow Conservative members Philip Davies and David Nuttall in extended speeches, known as a filibuster, against a private member's bill that would have placed restrictions on hospital parking charges for carers. Their actions caused the bill to run out of time.[21]

he sounds like an giant whopper to be honest...and yet he was still awarded a knighthood this year

torys summed up in a few sentences...hate poor people and homosexuals , actively block anything to do with them,and still get rewarded for it
The country will be better off when old ***** like him die off
Imo of course

Couple of days ago, this tall, attractive woman was walking briskly and it was fairly windy. Although her skirt was quite long, it was kind of split in the middle and it kept blowing up in a way that revealed everything.

When I was about 14-15, that would have given me enough mental material for six months worth of frenzied self-abuse, but I'm so old and jaded I was just vaguely amused for about two seconds and thought about what I was going to put on for tea.

:lol:

Taking photos of women in public places without them knowing, for the purposes of going home and furiously reviewing them. A modern consequence of inventing phones that can take pictures while the user is pretending to post on here, for example. Probably invented by the Japanese.
An old colleague of mine used to do this on the metro and post his findings on Flickr. This was pre Facebook days. He was socially awkward to say the least.

Back