Uploading your CV to a jobsite

I haven't used a jobsite for years but I'm sick of where I am at the minute so looking to move on.

When uploading a CV is it the done thing to make it anonymous?

I mean taking your full name off, removing company names, etc.?

I don't want my current employer to find it.
I PMd you with my contact details on LinkedIn- not sure if the link worked.

I haven't used a jobsite for years but I'm sick of where I am at the minute so looking to move on.

When uploading a CV is it the done thing to make it anonymous?

I mean taking your full name off, removing company names, etc.?

I don't want my current employer to find it.

You can make your CV and profile invisible on most sites, it only becoming visible when you apply to a given employer.

However, as most applications are via agencies nowadays, at some point your employer could find out even if only via word of mouth by, say, an agent looking for a reference without your say so. That happened to me, leading to a row over the phone with said agent. That said, I was being made redundant anyway so the current employer didn't give a monkeys.

If you get sorted quickly, it shouldn't be an issue and you may well be out the door before reference requests are made.

From experience, I wouldn’t publish my cv on another site and put it public. What a an absolute pest some agents are. Getting several calls per hour from different agents trying to fill the same job caused me to remove it after 24hrs.
Saying that, if I was signing on and was desperate then it would have been topper.

never used a jobsite but i went through an agency when i moved jobs a few years ago, it worked pretty well, until i started my new job then after a month they started ringing me asking if i was happy in my role and if i was interested in other jobs etc..

Worked in recruitment for a short time, depends purely on your settings, you can hide your name but some recruiters have premium subscriptions that let them see your name and contact details if you don't have your CV set to private.

If you don't want recruitment agencies contacting you make sure you use the right settings and remove certain things from your CV so they can't trace you to LinkedIn or Facebook because they will try use them to contact you too.

never used a jobsite but i went through an agency when i moved jobs a few years ago, it worked pretty well, until i started my new job then after a month they started ringing me asking if i was happy in my role and if i was interested in other jobs etc..
I spent a few months working in an agency years ago and we used to phone people the day after a retaining bonus was paid near the end of the contract they were on. We supplied designers for the petrochemical industry who were contracted for set periods. We received a bonus if they stayed x months and another if they completed the period. As soon as they came near we were on the phone to see if they were happy or if they knew another designer that might want to join. Some of the agents even swapped people around as they got 2x, 3x the finders fees. I didn’t last long

Would your current employer be scouring job boards searching for you mate?
With their fingers crossed iirc
No but they are looking for other people (for my department) and don't want them to stumble across it.
They might hire you to replace yourself and give you a payrise in the process?
I used to scoff at it. Now I'm adding anyone who works in my industry and hoying likes about left, right and centre. It's a brown-noser's paradise.
MackneyHackem likes this

THELORDRODWELL likes this like

IIRC

Last edited:
Have you considered updating your LinkedIn profile to actively searching and making it invisible to your current company?

How do I do that? So would people from my company be able to see my profile but not that I was looking? Is there a part that I can edit?

I'm not sure how to edit anything really.

I've got my profile set to private at the minute. I've managed that.😀

I don't have linked in, does it genuinely help?

I was told it was just arseholes bigging themselves up.

I'm not being dismissive or condescending, I don't know anything about it.
Yes it has been for me.

Some tips:

Switch off the updates so people don’t get emailed every time you do something.

Add a good few links to begin with, then aim to add two to three folk a week after that until you’ve got all your work associates in.

Get all of your skills on there, and make sure you get folk to recommend or endorse you for what you are good at. Don’t be afraid to message contacts to ask for either a recommendation or an endorsement. Try to drop feed the recommendations in, but get the endorsements in as soon as you can.

Endorsements are good for getting you at the top of the list for those skills. That way recruiters see you earlier in their search for staff.

Once up and running, join a few groups in industries or sectors that are relevant to you.

Switch on the recruitment bit. You don’t get shown to your current boss.

Hope this helps, if you have other questions, just reply or dam.

Good luck

Yes it has been for me.

Some tips:

Switch off the updates so people don’t get emailed every time you do something.

Add a good few links to begin with, then aim to add two to three folk a week after that until you’ve got all your work associates in.

Get all of your skills on there, and make sure you get folk to recommend or endorse you for what you are good at. Don’t be afraid to message contacts to ask for either a recommendation or an endorsement. Try to drop feed the recommendations in, but get the endorsements in as soon as you can.

Endorsements are good for getting you at the top of the list for those skills. That way recruiters see you earlier in their search for staff.

Once up and running, join a few groups in industries or sectors that are relevant to you.

Switch on the recruitment bit. You don’t get shown to your current boss.

Hope this helps, if you have other questions, just reply or dam.

Good luck

I use the site mainly for industry news. If you subscribe to the correct companies news updates, there’s a healthy batch of articles to read each morning and you are in general kept up to date, without trawling through a number of online sites.

In the case of the OP, strategic likes of pertinent news articles can also raise your profile if necessary.

This is (unfortunately) the modern way.

Last edited:
I use the site mainly for industry news. If you subscribe to the correct companies news updates, there’s a healthy batch of articles to read each morning and you are in general kept up to date, without trawling through a number of online sites.

In the case of the OP, some strategic likes can also raise your profile if necessary.

This is (unfortunately) the modern way.
Too right.

I was on a course recently about LinkedIn and the guy was a big advocate of commenting on posts by bigwigs in your industry. Said it helped by people associating your name with the poster. The added benefit being that if your comment was insightful or added to the conversation it would raise your profile as a lot of the posters followers would see it too.

Back