Upcoming local Leagues season 2023 - New signings & gossip

I won't say too much as I don't want a ban but I'm hopefull that common sense will be shown with some of these new rules/laws and we don't have people with agenda's trying to get others banned.

In terms of DNECL Div 1 it's fast turning into a money league and with only 1 team able to get a 50/50 chance of promotion it's going to stay like that for a while. For me both NTCL and DNECL should have a team from each league promoted and is something that pyramid need to change going forward.

Boldon have been the busiest recruiting 4 new local players, Colin and Chris Mann, Anthony Brown and Zaheer Shahbaz. So will have a strong side. Brandon, Durham City, Esh Winning and Seaham Harbour will all be gunning for the title again with strong squads. Brandon won it easy last year but think they've lost a couple of players so it could be a very tight Div 1.

We at Littletown have gone down a different route and got our first Tier 5 player and a couple of younger players added to the squad that suit our approach.
Just saw Coundon are struggling to field a team this year. EGM 29th March when decision will be taken.
Hopefully the calls will be heard, they're making efforts to get people to get back involved and getting the word out so really they're doing everything they can and it would be a massive shame to see another club go under.

Last edited:
Hopefully the calls will be heard, they're making efforts to get people to get back involved and getting the word out so really they're doing everything they can and it would be a massive shame to see another club go under.

Assuming they’re only a few short they’ll just need anyone. Division 5 so they’ll get away with carrying 2 or 3 fielders making up the numbers. Class opportunity for anyone fancying it as it’s guaranteed game time

Assuming they’re only a few short they’ll just need anyone. Division 5 so they’ll get away with carrying 2 or 3 fielders making up the numbers. Class opportunity for anyone fancying it as it’s guaranteed game time

You can also loan junior players so hopefully some of the bigger clubs nearby can help them when short. It’s an underused system.

You can also loan junior players so hopefully some of the bigger clubs nearby can help them when short. It’s an underused system.

Yes we had a 13 year old lad who plays for one of durhams academy sides playing against us last season. Belmont possibly?

Hopefully they decide to continue as they’re a canny enough club. Had a class batter with what I believe is a Sri Lankan name playing for them

I won't say too much as I don't want a ban but I'm hopefull that common sense will be shown with some of these new rules/laws and we don't have people with agenda's trying to get others banned.

In terms of DNECL Div 1 it's fast turning into a money league and with only 1 team able to get a 50/50 chance of promotion it's going to stay like that for a while. For me both NTCL and DNECL should have a team from each league promoted and is something that pyramid need to change going forward.

Boldon have been the busiest recruiting 4 new local players, Colin and Chris Mann, Anthony Brown and Zaheer Shahbaz. So will have a strong side. Brandon, Durham City, Esh Winning and Seaham Harbour will all be gunning for the title again with strong squads. Brandon won it easy last year but think they've lost a couple of players so it could be a very tight Div 1.

We at Littletown have gone down a different route and got our first Tier 5 player and a couple of younger players added to the squad that suit our approach.

You call the DNECL Div 1 a money league, then mention your own club has signed a Tier 5 professional. Dress it up however you like, the whole package for a Tier 5 pro is huge.

You call the DNECL Div 1 a money league, then mention your own club has signed a Tier 5 professional. Dress it up however you like, the whole package for a Tier 5 pro is huge.
I didn't say it wasn't a decent amount of money or us not spending anything so not sure how I'm trying to dress anything up, we have just gone down different route from previous years in terms of signings.
The reason I'm calling it a money league is there are 4 or 5 teams desperate and with only a 50% chance of one of them getting out the league so the top spot is gonna be very, very competitive and the rest still need to keep up to compete.
Desperate to get out the league and in to the premier league that is.

Last edited:

I’ll also add that there’s always 2 sides to every story, just so happens that my side would dispel any notion of any dummy spitting from me about opening any batting, alongside concrete evidence of exactly what my side is to be 100% truth. So don’t believe jackanory stories - what you see with me is what you get, the same can’t be said about others.

Seriously :eek: ?

If this is true just shows everything that’s wrong with local cricket these days.
I0 years the club have been going and doubt there is a club in the north east who have progressed more than us in that time without a big ECB handout or the council ground owned. The showers are in hand for 2024 but rather than do a half arsed job of putting basic minging shower that become unuseable or not fit for purpose like others do we are going down the proper route of a full revamp which has included getting ownership of the ground from the church commission (anyone who has ever dealt with them knows how hard that is) and now getting planning approved. The doubters can keep coming as it just drives us on and more often than not the ones doing it haven't even lift a finger around their own club to help out.

Nothing to do with the North East but the European Cricket League Finals are currently live on Sky channel 422. Hornchurch CC from Essex representing England.

From its inception i've always felt a bit sorry for the Management Committee in the DCL. The task of amalgamating three completely separate leagues with clubs who are all accustomed to playing a certain way for decades and trying to agree match play rules to please everyone cant have been easy. You've probably ended up with a half way house right across the board appeasing everyone but pleasing no one. Cant take one rule from the Coast league and another from the North East Durham bang them all together and hope it'll work out, it just seems so fragmented. That rule about the game having to end at a certain time no matter the stage of the game just seemed bizarre ! (No idea if its still a thing)

From outside looking in it just seems as if too many clubs wont accept progressive change and as such the Management Committees hands are tied which must be incredibly frustrating. For a start theres absolutely no reason why all clubs cant use electronic scoring methods which auto generate revised targets for rain affected games etc .
Seems to me it would have been much easier if the league had simply adopted the NEPL or NYSD rule book from the outset, most if not all clubs are happy with the match play rules and makes for positive cricket in the mainstay.

Maybe if the clubs elected a Match Play Committee with the remit of revising the match play rules and adapting them going forward to bring them closer to more modern styles of play it would be a lot easier that individual clubs being balloted on every rule change. Match play committee can survey the clubs on certain issues and get an idea of consensus however they have overall control of the match play rules. We've all been in these league meetings with older committee members from member clubs who with all due respect to them as they all no doubt care deeply for their respective clubs but haven't played 1st XI cricket for the best part of forty years, these lads arnt going to modernise the league.

Last edited:
I0 years the club have been going and doubt there is a club in the north east who have progressed more than us in that time without a big ECB handout or the council ground owned. The showers are in hand for 2024 but rather than do a half arsed job of putting basic minging shower that become unuseable or not fit for purpose like others do we are going down the proper route of a full revamp which has included getting ownership of the ground from the church commission (anyone who has ever dealt with them knows how hard that is) and now getting planning approved. The doubters can keep coming as it just drives us on and more often than not the ones doing it haven't even lift a finger around their own club to help out.
There has been thousands gone out of the club in those 10 years, enough to provide decent shower facilities. Not a criticism, as alot of clubs spend cash on pro’s. That said, I think those involved in the club should be proud…actually very proud of what’s been achieved for local cricket and creating opportunities for young people.

Anyone that plays in the DNECL reckon their ground will be ready for 2 weeks time? Weather has been the worst I can remember leading up to a season for years

Anyone that plays in the DNECL reckon their ground will be ready for 2 weeks time? Weather has been the worst I can remember leading up to a season for years
Lunacy.

It was bad enough starting the last weekend in April - to bring it forward another two weeks will just result in more weather-affected results and more work for groundskeepers.

Some clubs with smaller squares will end up having their results affected all season long as they'll struggle to reuse some of the wickets churned up in the earlier parts of the season.

Back