Upcoming local Leagues season 2023 - New signings & gossip

columbo70

Central Defender
Hi All - its about this time where teams are finalising their squads for 2023.

I have set this thread away for any gossip or info on clubs and signings.

Durham Cricket Leagues pre-season meeting for Captains and Umpires was held last night at the Riverside.

Some baffling and bizarre new concepts/rules that were announced from the hierachy...not sure how all attended could keep a straight face. Here are some of the things drummed out by these so called experts of the game running our leagues :-

1. A new Disciplinary Officer has been appointed by the Leagues - oh dear
  2. Umpires must give Mankands out and no re-call for the batsman(bowler straight arm is when batsman can move) - oh dear again...without slow motion replays how can umpires judge.
  3. Clubs are responsible for unruly behaviour by spectators and will be fined if they do nothing about it - so what happens if a drugged up loony enters the ground? apparently clubs have to be seen to make an effort to remove the so called thug - yeah right!!!
  4. Fielders and wicketkeepers are not allowed to move during bowling run up , umpires to award 5 runs as a penalty - Eh , some movement is allowed - no they said fielders must stand still....What???
  5. Rain delays in 2nd innings . No more reduced overs and run chase! Where before the 2nd innings was reduced from 45 overs and a run rate was set, this now will be replaced by the 45 overs have to bowled by 7.30pm otherwise the game is deemed as a draw.(Unless a team knocks the chase off or is bowled out). Where it is deemed the 45 overs are impossible to be completed by 7.30 or a team has no chance of knocking the total off or being bowled out then the UMPIRE(not the captains) can intervene and stop the match and declare it a draw - Oh dear oh dear oh dear , lots of scenarios here of skulldeuggery etc .i predict this been chaos.
  6. Leg side wides only in Division 1 and 2. Also Umpires to determine if a batsman is moving around the crease and if it still goes down leg then they can call it a fair delivery - the example shown was batsman backing off to square leg and bowler follows him but it still goes down leg then umpires can deem this a fair delivery. - errrrr no!!!
  7. Probably be only one umpire at most games due to shortage.
  8. Any social media comments naming Umpires as been poor then the person posting will be banned for 2 games. Also if people LIKE it they will be banned too. -this is totally bizarre and surely against free speech. I can see where abusive messaging can be a issue but people just airing their opinions or reporting what they saw is surely everyones right. Not sure how this will be manned or monitored
There was others but i think ive got the main things. Good luck explaining this to your teams. The new Disciplinary officer seemd full of himself and is obviously got Delusions of Grandeur.

Number 4. So fielders aren’t allowed to walk in during the bowlers run up ? :lol::lol::lol:

Number 6. The fielding team can just bowl down the leg side to stop the batting team getting runs???

Is this a wind-up or genuine? :eek:

Last edited:
Number 4. So fielders aren’t allowed to walk in during the bowlers run up ? :lol::lol::lol:

Number 6. The fielding team can just bowl down the leg side to stop the batting team getting runs???

Not a wind up.....it was a meeting by the League officials to captains and umpires.....this is what was told to the attendees and they doubled down several times that all new rules must be ahered too.

I dont think it was rolled out very well by people who , dare I say , have debateable cricketing experience

Can I just add that point 8 (social media) is not only aimed at negative comments about umpires , but players as well , even spectators can get the 2 match ban. It was suggested that if a comment was made and 48 people liked it then the 48 likes would face the ban too........thats the truth , its not a wind up

This Disciplinary Officer (wont name him) ran the demonstrations and event.......he seems quite eager to begin his job. Power trip comes to mind

Last edited:
Not a wind up.....it was a meeting by the League officials to captains and umpires.....this is what was told to the attendees and they doubled down several times that all new rules must be ahered too.

I dont think it was rolled out very well by people who , dare I say , have debateable cricketing experience

Can I just add that point 8 (social media) is not only aimed discussing umpires but players as well , even spectators can get the 2 match ban. It was suggested that if a comment was made and 48 people liked it then the 48 likes would face the ban too........thats the truth , its not a wind up

This Disciplinary Officer (wont name him) ran the demonstrations and event.......he seems quite eager to begin his job. Power trip comes to mind
With the fielding one (point 4) they’re literally changing the laws of the game. That’s absolutely barmy.

Durham Cricket Leagues pre-season meeting for Captains and Umpires was held last night at the Riverside.

Some baffling and bizarre new concepts/rules that were announced from the hierachy...not sure how all attended could keep a straight face. Here are some of the things drummed out by these so called experts of the game running our leagues :-

2. Umpires must give Mankands out and no re-call for the batsman(bowler straight arm is when batsman can move) - oh dear again...without slow motion replays how can umpires judge.
  3. Clubs are responsible for unruly behaviour by spectators and will be fined if they do nothing about it - so what happens if a drugged up loony enters the ground? apparently clubs have to be seen to make an effort to remove the so called thug - yeah right!!!
  4. Fielders and wicketkeepers are not allowed to move during bowling run up , umpires to award 5 runs as a penalty - Eh , some movement is allowed - no they said fielders must stand still....What???
  5. Rain delays in 2nd innings . No more reduced overs and run chase! Where before the 2nd innings was reduced from 45 overs and a run rate was set, this now will be replaced by the 45 overs have to bowled by 7.30pm otherwise the game is deemed as a draw.(Unless a team knocks the chase off or is bowled out). Where it is deemed the 45 overs are impossible to be completed by 7.30 or a team has no chance of knocking the total off or being bowled out then the UMPIRE(not the captains) can intervene and stop the match and declare it a draw - Oh dear oh dear oh dear , lots of scenarios here of skulldeuggery etc .i predict this been chaos.
  6. Leg side wides only in Division 1 and 2. Also Umpires to determine if a batsman is moving around the crease and if it still goes down leg then they can call it a fair delivery - the example shown was batsman backing off to square leg and bowler follows him but it still goes down leg then umpires can deem this a fair delivery. - errrrr no!!!
  8. Any social media comments naming Umpires as been poor then the person posting will be banned for 2 games. Also if people LIKE it they will be banned too. -this is totally bizarre and surely against free speech. I can see where abusive messaging can be a issue but people just airing their opinions or reporting what they saw is surely everyones right. Not sure how this will be manned or monitored
There was others but i think ive got the main things. Good luck explaining this to your teams. The new Disciplinary officer seemd full of himself and is obviously got Delusions of Grandeur.

As far as I’m aware all of the local leagues are run by volunteers who do it for the love of the game. Whatever you think of the decisions, most committees would be glad of new volunteers to assist the ‘so called experts’.

FWIW I agree with them on Point 8. Respect the umpire’s decision (who lets face it don’t get paid much) like an adult and if you want to twist do it via formal channels. The local scene is crying out for umpires and seeing decisions get called out on Facebook etc can’t be helping that.

Who is the new disciplinary officer?

I shouldn’t bother responding to this but I will to provide some much needed context…

To address each point -

1. An ECB requirement for all leagues under their banner
2. MCC Laws of Cricket (new law for 2023) - nothing to do with league
3. ECB requirements (as point 1), league has to adopt all rules under RCR (Recreational Cricket Regulations), again nothing to do with league
4. MCC Laws of Cricket - see above
5. Can’t win, absolutely boat loads of complaints from the last two seasons rule on this, explored option of bringing in Duckworth lewis, couldn’t be implemented across divisions 1-6 effectively. So this rule you’re referring too was a rule from NEDCL which was proposed at the league AGM and voted 24 for, 4 against- so blame clubs if you don’t like it not league
6. Correct on div 1 & 2 points but the rest… MCC Laws of cricket - as above, new rule for 2023, so errr no, again nothing to do with league
7. Correct
8. Plain and simple was not said at all. The new ECB Regulations take into account social media usage. The example you have is completely inaccurate. Each case will be looked at so if you name and slag an umpire off it’s not an automatic ban at all, you’ll be taken down the ECB process and outcome will be decided based upon case. Also naming people and slagging people off (which goes on a lot) is not free speech, it’s potentially slanderous. I’ve had it myself and as a volunteer running round doing what I do (we do as an Exec), I don’t do it for the good of my health I can assure you, so getting slagged off on social media isn’t something I or anyone else will accept. It’s not accepted in NEPL or NYSD and we have had a social media policy covering this since league inception - so whilst it’s formal under new ECB RCR, it’s not new to league.

Last point, if you’re struggling to explain what is a really simple set of regulations for anyone with half a brain cell to interpret, then I suggest firstly to read the RCR documentation from ECB, pick up the phone to me who’ll give a balanced view (95% of the RCR is complete common sense).

If you want to have an adult conversation you’ll know who I am and where I am, so don’t hide behind faceless usernames on here and give it big licks because the majority of what you’ve said is leagues fault above, is down to ECB and MCC.
With the fielding one (point 4) they’re literally changing the laws of the game. That’s absolutely barmy.

No. We are adopting the rules of the game as we are required to do. Do yourself a favour and check out new MCC laws for 2023 on google before taking aim at the DNECL.

Genuine, happy reading - MCC's new code of Laws for 2022 come into force

Last edited:

Can I just add that point 8 (social media) is not only aimed at negative comments about umpires , but players as well , even spectators can get the 2 match ban. It was suggested that if a comment was made and 48 people liked it then the 48 likes would face the ban too........thats the truth , its not a wind up

You can just add but you must have been at a different meeting to me as at no point was supporters being banned from the league mentioned. Clubs can be punished under the new ECB RCR for failing to take reasonable action to control supporters. Very very simple - if a supporter is causing issues eg. Racial abuse, clubs can take action to stop it. Action could include anything from asking supporter to leave, to phoning lol or if ground is public park for instance. That in my opinion would be reasonable actions towards that individual.

The 48 likes comment wasn’t the greatest because that’s highly unlikely to happen. But it’s contextual again. If something is deemed to be of such a serious issue that is being supported by others by way of liking said comments, then under the new ECB RCR, the league “could” (not guaranteed to) take action.

We’ll sit and have a conversation about my debatable cricket experience at somepoint if you like and you can share what your achievements in the game have been across all levels, at that point I’ll make a decision on your debatable experience given the fact you like to come on social media hide behind a username and stir the pot.
Well this season is gonna be a barrel of laughs aint it

No different to any other season if people act with common sense. If you don’t go on like a balloon then there’s literally no changes. If you choose too, just like in any other sport it will be dealt with.

Local football has had cash fines for players and lengthy bans for as long as I can remember. Likewise there have always been disciplinary procedures in local cricket with sanctions like bans etc for as long as I’ve played - all the ECB have done is centralised it, rightly or wrongly. So unless you go and play in Darlington and District league it’s the same everywhere up here, oh and even worse in NEPL where they’re governed by GCR (General Cricket Regulations) which is a 60 page document and is even more serious.

Last edited:
On another note, who decided to start the season on the 15th of April? Not a hope in hell of that happening. Surely common sense should prevail and go back to the old days of starting last Saturday in April and play longer into September.

Isn’t part of the problem that you need time for a promotion play off in September, plus even possibly a reserve day for it? And you need to shut down grounds in time to scarify while the weather is semi warm.

The optionality has often been on bank holiday Mondays but double weekends don’t seem popular.

So put the current season back 2 weeks, we start 29th of april and finish September 16th instead of 15th and 2nd respectively. Play off date pencilled on for 23rd or 24th and clubs book ground works for 30th. Simple solution. We haven’t been able to have any work at all done on our square yet and we are meant to be out there for the 1st game in 31 days time. Stop copying off the premier league who have full time groundsman with far superior equipment and budgets for their grounds. Accept the clubs for what they are and give the grounds men a chance to prepare a decent deck for the first game.

I shouldn’t bother responding to this but I will to provide some much needed context…

To address each point -

1. An ECB requirement for all leagues under their banner
2. MCC Laws of Cricket (new law for 2023) - nothing to do with league
3. ECB requirements (as point 1), league has to adopt all rules under RCR (Recreational Cricket Regulations), again nothing to do with league
4. MCC Laws of Cricket - see above
5. Can’t win, absolutely boat loads of complaints from the last two seasons rule on this, explored option of bringing in Duckworth lewis, couldn’t be implemented across divisions 1-6 effectively. So this rule you’re referring too was a rule from NEDCL which was proposed at the league AGM and voted 24 for, 4 against- so blame clubs if you don’t like it not league
6. Correct on div 1 & 2 points but the rest… MCC Laws of cricket - as above, new rule for 2023, so errr no, again nothing to do with league
7. Correct
8. Plain and simple was not said at all. The new ECB Regulations take into account social media usage. The example you have is completely inaccurate. Each case will be looked at so if you name and slag an umpire off it’s not an automatic ban at all, you’ll be taken down the ECB process and outcome will be decided based upon case. Also naming people and slagging people off (which goes on a lot) is not free speech, it’s potentially slanderous. I’ve had it myself and as a volunteer running round doing what I do (we do as an Exec), I don’t do it for the good of my health I can assure you, so getting slagged off on social media isn’t something I or anyone else will accept. It’s not accepted in NEPL or NYSD and we have had a social media policy covering this since league inception - so whilst it’s formal under new ECB RCR, it’s not new to league.

Last point, if you’re struggling to explain what is a really simple set of regulations for anyone with half a brain cell to interpret, then I suggest firstly to read the RCR documentation from ECB, pick up the phone to me who’ll give a balanced view (95% of the RCR is complete common sense).

If you want to have an adult conversation you’ll know who I am and where I am, so don’t hide behind faceless usernames on here and give it big licks because the majority of what you’ve said is leagues fault above, is down to ECB and MCC.

No. We are adopting the rules of the game as we are required to do. Do yourself a favour and check out new MCC laws for 2023 on google before taking aim at the DNECL.

Genuine, happy reading - MCC's new code of Laws for 2022 come into force
So in relation to point 4 is no movement allowed as indicated by @columbo70 or unfair movement?

Back