Unwise career move during pandemic and recession?

It’s only going to get worse mate. To a large extent furlough is delaying the usual skullduggery with cuts, short time, pay freezes etc, come q3 it’s going to get brutal. If you have an attractive option on the table and don’t like where you are I’d take it.
I am having to bite my lip and ignore my manager trying to skype me while I am working to deadlines.

Is anyone else pissed off with their employer and considering walking away to become a nomadic surf instructor in Cornwall?

Or is it a bad idea? Should we stay in jobs that we hate?

Technically if you want to be a nomadic surf instructor you're at least going to have to be in more than one county, and no Devon doesn't count. Sorry if this has ruined The Dream.

It’s only going to get worse mate. To a large extent furlough is delaying the usual skullduggery with cuts, short time, pay freezes etc, come q3 it’s going to get brutal. If you have an attractive option on the table and don’t like where you are I’d take it.
As I said previously on here,anyone who’s still in furlough come next month really need to worry about their jobs.Company will either be plotting their departure or the company is heading to the wall.
Not as sweeping as that for everyone I understand of course but it’ll apply to many

Is anyone else pissed off with their employer and considering walking away to become a nomadic surf instructor in Cornwall?

Me.
Not one person though as in the main I like the bosses I know but the ethos of the place is totally at odds with my work ethic.
In my life the best managers are the ones that understand I am a bit awkward but very very productive if you let me be. Manage me too much and it is very negative.

My usual advice would be to walk away but given how things are panning out, I would hang around for a bit and hope the decision is taken out of your hands and you can walk away with a wedge of cash. Think there'll be a lot of redundancies flying about soon.

Nothing wrong in preparing for the new job by starting to don a pair of Speedos for video calls.

Back