Unreal engine 5 running on PS5 traiker

Will the Ps5 be compatible with an external hard drive at release? The ps4 wasn't although it is now. Have a 4TB external one currently which I'd like to still use

Yes but it won't be anywhere near as quick as the SSD built into the PS5. You could use an external HDD to be simply storage which you can transfer onto the built in SSD when you want to play it.
Ps5’s are launching with 800gb storage which is a shocker considering how much storage games takes up these days

It is small but PS5 games will not need the same amount of storage space as PS4 games. An example is the openworld Spiderman game had literally hundreds of letterboxes stored within the data because of how the drive and software works together, PS5 and it's new ridiculously quick SSD would only need that letterbox stored once so games won't be as big (I'm not sure how this works, it's just what I've read)

Last edited:
Yes but it won't be anywhere near as quick as the SSD built into the PS5. You could use an external HDD to be simply storage which you can transfer onto the built in SSD when you want to play it.

I can live with that as I do that now. Better than wasting a £120 hard drive.

I can live with that as I do that now. Better than wasting a £120 hard drive.

Sounds like (from the brief stuff I've been reading) that it won't take long to transfer over either. The speeds of this new SSD sound phenomenal. Updates won't need extra storage space either as they do now because of how quick it all works. It's all above my level of understanding but they state 1GB takes roughly 20 seconds to load from a HDD whereas 5GB takes just one second on the new PS5 SSD

Back